Greece Beats France 1-0...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
Im sure OCA is getting tore up somewhere.

http://www.sportsline.com/soccer/story/7450519

Defending champion France knocked out by Greece 1-0
June 25, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

LISBON, Portugal -- Defending champion France was knocked out of the European Championship on Friday night, losing 1-0 to Greece in a quarterfinal that became the latest upset in a tournament filled with surprising results.

For the first time in the history of the quadrennial event, which began in 1960, Europe's five biggest soccer powers all failed to make the semifinals. Germany, Italy and Spain were eliminated in the first round, and England lost its quarterfinal to Portugal on Thursday.

Angelos Charisteas scored in the 66th minute on a header. Greek captain Theodoros Zagorakis chipped the ball over Bixente Lizarazu and sped down the field and crossed to Charisteas, who beat goalkeeper Fabien Barthez.

"We made a great effort against a major squad and we justified our presence here. Everything is possible now," Charisteas said. "We realized that throughout this game, at least for 90 minutes, we had to be completely focused, completely concentrated."

Thierry Henry almost tied the score with three minutes left, but his powerful header went wide.

"We started to play only when it was too late," French defender Lilian Thuram said.

It was another disappointing exit for France, which won the 1998 World Cup and followed up two years later by winning the European title. France was knocked out of the 2002 World Cup in the first round but going into Friday had been unbeaten in 22 consecutive games since a 2-0 defeat to the Czech Republic on Feb. 12, 2003.

"We weren't thinking clearly towards the end of the match," said France coach Jacques Santini, who is leaving to become coach of Tottenham Hotspur in England. "We were just rushing forwards, and that was not the best way to go about it. It's a big disappointment. We had hoped to get to the final."

After the final whistle, the bewildered French players slumped to the ground in disbelief.

"I'm upset about the goal. I saw the ball and committed myself too early," Lizarazu said. "It's hard to judge this match. We had the impression we dominated in every department."

Meanwhile, the jubilant Greeks rushed toward their fans, linking arms and jumping up and down in celebration. A sign on the bus carrying Greek players carried the slogan: "Ancient Greece had 12 Gods. Modern Greece has 11."

"This is a great sensation," Greece coach Otto Rehhagel said. "The people from New York to Rio to Tokyo will hear about this."

In only its third major tournament and in the final four for the first time, Greece plays the winner of Sunday's quarterfinal between the Czech Republic and Denmark, the 1992 champion. Portugal meets the winner of Saturday's game between Sweden and the Netherlands, the 1988 champion.

Thousands of fans started to gather in Athens' Omonia Square minutes before the final whistle, waving Greek flags and singing the national anthem. Some cried with joy and embraced. The city was illuminated as fireworks formed a bright drape over the Acropolis and other monuments.

"All Greeks across Greece celebrate today a just victory, the historic qualification of our national team to the four best teams in Europe," Prime Minister Costas Caramanlis said in a statement. "Our players made us all proud."

Originally posted by OCA
ZHTO H ELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long live Greece!

Ah, YAMESOU!!!!! and if it's spelled wrong, you know damn well what it means! :p:

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I only know one Greek pharse and OCA taught me that one. I can't repeat it on the board though. :p:

What, that he is a melaka? hahahahahahahahhahaha!!!!!

Forum List

Back