Votes: 2 5.4%
  • JOHN LENNON

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • WILLIE NELSON

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • OTHER

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
I voted other even though the ones you listed are some of my favs especially Bob Dylan but one of my all time favorites is George Harrison who wrote my favorite Beattle song and is often forgotten!

Which song?

Here Comes the Sun? While my Guitar Gently Weeps? Within you or Without you? Something?

who plays lead guitar on while my guitar gently weeps?

eric clapton.

Thats my favorite beatles song. It is nothing less than a classing rock n roll story the interaction between George and Eric.

but the answer to this poll is STILL either Willie Nelson or Stevie Wonder.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qpfGVUd8c]YouTube - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - George Harrison[/ame]

Steve Goodman. Glad someone remembers him.

Bernie Taupin is notoriously absent.

Todd Snider is probably the most widely acclaimed guy around in Americana now.

Tom Waits.

Woody Guthrie.

Billy Joe Shaver, Jerry Jeff Walker and Kris Kristofferson were behind a ton of country musicians who mistakenly get credit for their work.

Steve Goodman. Glad someone remembers him.

Bernie Taupin is notoriously absent.

Todd Snider is probably the most widely acclaimed guy around in Americana now.

Tom Waits.

Woody Guthrie.

Billy Joe Shaver, Jerry Jeff Walker and Kris Kristofferson were behind a ton of country musicians who mistakenly get credit for their work.

that is like a bunch of the old blues guys who seem to get credit for the Willie Dixon songs they sang....namely Howlin Wolf and Muddy Waters.....

Diane Warren
John Denver

For sheer longevity and mass volume.

Warren soundtracked the latter part of the 20th Century, wrote most of your favorite songs from the 80s and 90s you think others did.

And how can there be a songwriter list without Hank Williams and Hank Williams Junior? Well over 500 songs between them.

Buddy Holly in his short time on earth was an impressive songwriter.

Smoky Robinson
John Prine

There's many....

Diane Warren
John Denver

Warren soundtracked the latter part of the 20th Century, wrote most of your favorite songs from the 80s and 90s you think others did.

And how can there be a songwriter list without Hank Williams and Hank Williams Junior? Well over 500 songs between them.

Smoky Robinson
John Prine

There's many....

i am not referring to any of those you picked here MM....but VOLUME means nothing unless the songs are good.....for instance Henry Purcell who lived about as long as Mozart,around 35.....wrote many more songs than Mozart,but only about 40% of his songs were worth listening too,while Mozart,just about every one of his....is.......so quality has got to be considered when talking volume.....

Diane Warren
John Denver

Smoky Robinson
John Prine

There's many....

i am not referring to any of those you picked here MM....but VOLUME means nothing unless the songs are good.....for instance Henry Purcell who lived about as long as Mozart,around 35.....wrote many more songs than Mozart,but only about 40% of his songs were worth listening too,while Mozart,just about every one of his....is.......so quality has got to be considered when talking volume.....
Oh I agree. I wouldn't list a songwriter just for sheer volume, even though I understand that might be how I made it look in my post. But look at these, and their work and I think you'll be stunned just how prolific and good they were.

Diane Warren
John Denver

Smoky Robinson
John Prine

There's many....

Oh I agree. I wouldn't list a songwriter just for sheer volume, even though I understand that might be how I made it look in my post. But look at these, and their work and I think you'll be stunned just how prolific and good they were.

definitely....would not be stunned at all.....:razz:

also... btw and for the record, I think Paul McCartney is an over-rated hack in terms of songwriting (and anything else, for that matter...)

Came in to post George Harrison (surprised some others did as well). He had great hits with The Beatles and all-but go listen to his solo work. Some of the best written stuff I've ever heard (Cloud Nine, All Things Must Pass, self-titled, etc.). He's so much better than he ever got the chance to be with The Beatles.

images

Tom_cigar.jpg

6a0120a7b5f86a970b0162fbf8277e970d-800wi

Billy Joel (Honesty, Piano Man, She's Got a Way, Uptown Girl, The Longest Time), Paul Simon (Sound of Silence, Mrs. Robinson, Bridge Over Troubled Water), David Foster (St. Elmo's Fire Love song), Pete Townschend (Who are you? Won't get fooled again), Carole King, (Up on the Roof, You've Got a Friend, I'm into something good, One Fine Day, Chains, Will You Love Me Tomorrow)

Anne Murray and the folks with whom she has written with and shared a stage with for almost forty years.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVNj9Pl-i7I]Anne Murray - Snow Bird - YouTube[/ame]

To me my most favorite singer James Otto is the best songwriter. Here is him singing his song named "In Color" which is done by his co-writer Jamey Johnson on the radio. :) :) :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8cbmnSLi8]James singing "In Color"[/ame]

God bless you and James and Jamey always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. This song was named the 2009 CMA and ACM Song of the Year. :) :) :)

Forum List

Back