2. Fernando Valenzuela
3 Dwight Gooden
4 Ron Guidry
5 J R Richard
6 Orel Hershiser
7 David Cone
8 Bret Saberhagen

Last edited:
a lot of people put jack morris on the list as well. in fact a lot would put him first.

also there is jim kaat -- 283 wins

i assume you are not saying that they all belong in -- just that they are the top of the list of those who arent in.

a lot of people put jack morris on the list as well. in fact a lot would put him first.

also there is jim kaat -- 283 wins

i assume you are not saying that they all belong in -- just that they are the top of the list of those who arent in.

I am not saying they all belong. Mostly they had blazing talent that burnt out before they could gain HOF status. All were more talented than a Jack Morris or Jim Kaat

I would like to see David Cone and Bret Saberhagen make the HOF though

In no particular order

1. Vida Blue
2. Fernando Valenzuela
3 Dwight Gooden
4 Ron Guidry
5 J R Richard
6 Orel Hershiser
7 David Cone
8 Bret Saberhagen

A lot of Mets in that list.

Jamie Moyer will be on that list too.

yea, I agree mostly with your list.

Louisiana Lightning belongs for sure, if sandy does;)

I am not sure of Orel though....Cone....?:eusa_think:

Cone

1988. 20-3. 2.22 ERA. 213 SO
1994. 16-4. 2.94 ERA. Cy Young in strike shortened year
1996. 20-7. 3.55 ERA.

He also had a perfect game and 19 strike out game. Five World Series rings

Cone had great stuff

Orel was untouchable in 1988 and carried the Dodgers to a World Series title while setting the consecutive scoreless innings record

Last edited:

you can't really be saying that guidry was as good as koufax

I think his point is that Guidry had a short period of time where he really dominated. Not like the five years Koufax had, but some damn good pitching

Mel Stottlemyre (sp?) and cocaine kept Gooden from being not only a HOF, but maybe the best pitcher ever.

i like Saberhagen too and he had a few great years but with 167 wins (about the same as Koufax) he aint getting in -- his peak years were just not as dominant as Koufax plus i tihnk koufax also gets a boost since he strung his together while Saberhagens were spread out.

Interesting fact -- that inpart shows how dominant koufax was -- Juan Marichal was a great pitcher and a legit HOFer. He had some dominant years when koufax did . And in his entire career he got ONE vote for the Cy Young award -- ONE -- and that was at the end of his career for one of his lesser seasons in 1971. He finished 8th in the voting behind the likes of Al Downing dock ellis jerry johnson dave roberts and tied with Bill Stoneman

i like Saberhagen too and he had a few great years but with 167 wins (about the same as Koufax) he aint getting in -- his peak years were just not as dominant as Koufax plus i tihnk koufax also gets a boost since he strung his together while Saberhagens were spread out.

Interesting fact -- that inpart shows how dominant koufax was -- Juan Marichal was a great pitcher and a legit HOFer. He had some dominant years when koufax did . And in his entire career he got ONE vote for the Cy Young award -- ONE -- and that was at the end of his career for one of his lesser seasons in 1971. He finished 8th in the voting behind the likes of Al Downing dock ellis jerry johnson dave roberts and tied with Bill Stoneman

Hard to believe Marichal never won the Cy Young. He was a consistent 20 game winner and was a top pitcher in the NL. I would put him up there with Gibson.

1963. 25-8. 2.41 ERA
1966. 25-6. 2.23 ERA
1968. 26-9. 2.43 ERA

And he never got a single Cy Young vote?

Hard to believe Marichal never won the Cy Young. He was a consistent 20 game winner and was a top pitcher in the NL. I would put him up there with Gibson.

1963. 25-8. 2.41 ERA
1966. 25-6. 2.23 ERA
1968. 26-9. 2.43 ERA

And he never got a single Cy Young vote?

He got one vote -- in 1971. Thats it.

and look at the years you cite -- im pretty sure in 63 and 66 koufax was unanimous. in 68 gibson was with his 1.12 ERA

Forum List

Back