Greatest NFL Team Of All-Time

We've had this argument before, and not long ago. The topic is subjective and I'll say the same thing now I said then:

You can't compare teams now with teams "then." The rules are too different, the game too different and the players too different. The players then couldn't keep up with the speed today, and the players of today would all be broken into pieces by 3rd down playing the older players by their rules.

I don't even watch it anymore it's so wussified.

I find it hard to judge a team on a single season.

The Pittsburgh team from 75-80 were a powerhouse.

The Raiders teams of that era as well had a fearsome reputation that many say was worth 7 points on the board.

San Francisco in the mid to late 80s were an outstanding team.

And of course the Packers in the 60s.

The '72 Dolphins had the easiest schedule in the league that year and it was before the regular season was expanded to 17 games

Cmon people, these are not even close to the greatest teams. If they were, explain why.

The greatest team was clearly the 49ers of the late 80s early 90s.

You had joe montana as starting quarterback greatest of all time, steve young as backup (6 td passes in one super bowl)! Jerry rice the greatest reciever of all time, you had bill romanowski, you had ronnie lot greatest safety of all time. You had rodger craig. in 93 you had deon sanders, you had ken norton jr., you had gary plummer, you had bryant young, you had ricky waters..... All the greats.

Last edited:
Cmon people, these are not even close to the greatest teams. If they were, explain why.

You had joe montana as starting quarterback greatest of all time, steve young as backup (6 td passes in one super bowl)! Jerry rice the greatest reciever of all time, you had bill romanowski, you had ronnie lot greatest safety of all time. You had rodger craig. in 93 you had deon sanders, you had ken norton jr., you had gary plummer, you had bryant young, you had ricky waters..... All the greats.

They were a balanced team but I am not sure they had a dominant defense. Actually, I can't remember back that far!

*NE Patriots - winners of 3 Super Bowls

* Whose winning streaks coincided with their illegal taping.

psst: The smoking gun memo that clarified the taping rule was issued a week prior to the 2006 season. The Pats 3 Super Bowls were after the 2001, 2003 and 2004 seasons. You do the math smart guy. :eusa_whistle:

Jerry should have never gone to Seattle! He should have retired on top!
I used to take care of a guy who played for the San Fran in the 40's, coolest guy who would ever meet!
ANd speaking of reciervers Steve Largent never got to prove himself completly!

Here is ESPN's list putting 85 Bears at number 1

And they deserve it. They were better than any other. That D was unstoppable.

Jerry should have never gone to Seattle! He should have retired on top!

He would have if the refs in that Super Bowl had better vision than Stevie Wonder. They missed a great game.

Then he had to play my Bucs. There's another all-time great D.

Last edited:
When did they expand it to 17 games? Did I miss something? They extended it to 17 weeks but teams play 16 games.

I think he was confused by the number of games the Dolphins won. They only played 14 regular season games then, and the Dolphins were 17-0 including the off season. The 16 game regular season began in 1978.

I've heard talk of their wanting to expand the regular season again.

And they deserve it. They were better than any other. That D was unstoppable.

He would have if the refs in that Super Bowl had better vision than Stevie Wonder. They missed a great game.

Then he had to play my Bucs. There's another all-time great D.
He didn't get a good rap when he went to Seattle! And some didn't want him there and he kind of had an attitude!

Whose your candidate for greatest NFL team of all-time?

Most people will say the 72 Dolphins for obvious reasons. Me? I have to go with the 85 Bears. I'm not a Chicago fan but I have mad respect for that squad. That team had the absolte best and monstorous defense. The ole 46. Buddy Ryan, whom I'm not a fan of, made this formation extremely popular. It was an enigma for offenses to figure out. It stayed that until Walsh and the West Coast offense exposed it. It's vulnerable to short passing plays. It's why you rarely see it anymore. That and few teams have the impact players to run it.

The 85 Bears' defense had some absolute monsters. Singletary, Dent, Hampton, Marshall, Perry, Wilson, Duerson, etc...

On offense they had the greatest RB and football player this planet has ever seen, Walter Payton.

Whose your best team ever and why?

Bears85Trib_415ht.jpg

Walter Payton was not the greatest RB. Had Barry Sanders not retired prematurely, he would easily be the greatest. I still consider him to be, anyway. The man had no o-line, and he probabably had just as many lateral yards as positive yards. He and Payton had one thing in common though, class. Neither would celebrate a TD, they would simply hand the ball to the ref and walk away.

And although I hate him, you have to make a case for Emmitt.

The '72 Dolphins had the easiest schedule in the league that year and it was before the regular season was expanded to 17 games

And their starting quarterback, Griese, was out for 10 of those games and the team was led by Earl Morrall who was older than dirt, even then. Griese didnt come back until the first playoff games.

Don't know where you get that easiest schedule crap from. Nobody was beating them. Period. They beat the best teams to get to the Superbowl and they won the Superbowl. Same standard every team is judged by.

Nope. The 74 Steelers would have killed them. The 71 Cowboys would have killed them. The 68 Packers would have killed them.

Walter Payton was not the greatest RB.

Bullshit. I'll fight anyone to the death over that. There's a few certainties in life...Pink Floyd is the greatest band, Long Island Iced Teas are God's nectar, pussy is the greatest invention and Walter Payton is the greatest RB in the galaxy.

Oh, and about your Emmitt Smith comment...I don't think he is a top 3 RB. I'm a Gator fan and still don't buy it. Smith had the luxuary of playing behind a top-class O-line for many, many years. Didn't hurt he had Aikman/Irving to take the pressure off him. I'd put Sanders and Brown over Smith.

Here's to you, sweetness. You're the classiest man I ever saw. RIP, bro. This is an excellent video of Walter Payton. Love this.

[youtube]FAeo4ZqHC2c[/youtube]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back