"Greatest Nation " Rhetoric Roars Back

Possibly, America sucks because patriots like you are afraid of their own history.
Why are you afraid of acknowledging their contributions to the Greatest Nation?
The Democrats say Obama is "Reaganesque" and Reagan loved America so you better get with the talking points.
It just seems like Reagan and Obama love some Americans so much more than others:

"First, under Reagan the average hourly wage, adjusted for inflation ($1982) declined from $7.93 to $7.79 from 1980 to 1988.

"Real weekly earnings fell from $281.21 to $270.32.

"Moreover, this US Dept. of Labor data is extremely conservative with regard to the real wage decline for working and middle class Americans, since it defines and includes as ‘wage’ the salary equivalent of managers and even CEOs which bumps up the ‘average’.

"Those same CEOs, investors, and other recipients of capital incomes (dividends, interest, rent, capital gains, etc.) in contrast did far better than the average working class wage earner.

"According to Internal Revenue Service data, the wealthiest 10% households in the U.S. increased their share of total US household income from 32% to 39% over Reagan’s eight years—two-thirds of which was accrued by the wealthiest 1% of the top 10% households."

I'm not sure the American Republic can stand much more "Love" from Republicans AND Democrats.

ZCommunications..

Poop...all poop.

There IS NO Comparison to be made between the two other than ...Night and day...Darkness and Light...

Last edited:
If you want to see how exceptionalism was developed and employed, try

"Selling the American Way"
Selling the American way: U.S ... - Google Books

"Total Cold War"
Total Cold War: Eisenhower's secret ... - Google Books

Side note...

The Right is allowed to "hate" government for its social programs.

But, somehow, the left cannot "hate" government for the ideological exercise of state power.

The point of a free society is that the individual gets to choose his reasons for loving his country. Person A can love America for the Civil Rights Movement, whereas person B can love it for winning WWII. Fascism is when one person dictates his reasons to the rest.

It becomes a terrible farce when a president says "if you don't support my war" (which is slaughtering innocent soldiers based on a misguided policy) "than you hate the country".

Wrong. I don't hate it. I just love it for different reasons. It's called freedom.

Last edited:
Umm the ones I hear talking about Obama being Reganesque are right wingers.
Newsbusters: All Three Networks Agree: Obama Sounded ?Reaganesque? in State of the Union | Katy Pundit
On CBS, Evening News anchor Katie Couric touted how political analyst Jeff Greenfield thought it was “down right Reaganesque” and that “some” have argued “this could be his Reagan moment.”
SeeBS is a RightWing network now? When dat hoppen? :confused:

There is nothing Reaganesque Of Obama...his writings...his history flies in the face of this assertion.

In short? it's a LIE.
They were/are both corporate whores willing to sacrifice the well being of 90% of Americans for the greater glory of Goldman Sachs.

Oh, yay. Another steaming pile of "America Sucks!!" from George.

now-tell-me-america-foreigners-suck-people-stupid-moron-patr-demotivational-poster-1216451299.jpg

George, go away and make room for someone who wants to be here and can contribute to society.

Nice! A french Gift in the Pic. :beer:

The Democrats say Obama is "Reaganesque" and Reagan loved America so you better get with the talking points.
It just seems like Reagan and Obama love some Americans so much more than others:

"First, under Reagan the average hourly wage, adjusted for inflation ($1982) declined from $7.93 to $7.79 from 1980 to 1988.

"Real weekly earnings fell from $281.21 to $270.32.

"Moreover, this US Dept. of Labor data is extremely conservative with regard to the real wage decline for working and middle class Americans, since it defines and includes as ‘wage’ the salary equivalent of managers and even CEOs which bumps up the ‘average’.

"Those same CEOs, investors, and other recipients of capital incomes (dividends, interest, rent, capital gains, etc.) in contrast did far better than the average working class wage earner.

"According to Internal Revenue Service data, the wealthiest 10% households in the U.S. increased their share of total US household income from 32% to 39% over Reagan’s eight years—two-thirds of which was accrued by the wealthiest 1% of the top 10% households."

I'm not sure the American Republic can stand much more "Love" from Republicans AND Democrats.

ZCommunications..

Poop...all poop.

There IS NO Comparison to be made between the two other than ...Night and day...Darkness and Light...
Reagan's Light:

"The wealthiest 0.1% households did even better.

"After remaining between 1.7% to 2.0% share of income for more than twenty years, from 1960 to 1980, their income share tripled under Reagan from less than 2% in 1980 to more than 6% by 1988.

"In contrast to these very wealthiest, for the poorest working class households there were no adjustments to the minimum wage over the Reagan period, as Reagan made clear he would veto any such adjustment.

"Consequently, the minimum wage declined from $6.55 an hour to $4.80 an hour in real terms between 1980-89—or 27%.

"Not surprisingly, the poverty rate rose from 8.9% to 10.9% between 1980-86 largely as a result, and two paycheck families rose from 42% to 49% of all households between 1980-87 to accommodate stagnant working class earnings growth over the period."

ZCommunications

When do you ever see liberals praise the greatest Nation in the world? Never? Radical lefties hate America. Do political "moderates" love America. It seems that the radicals who abandoned their Country and were pardoned by Jimmie Carter in his first week in office came back from Canada to teach generations of kids how to hate.

When do you ever see liberals praise the greatest Nation in the world? Never? Radical lefties hate America. Do political "moderates" love America. It seems that the radicals who abandoned their Country and were pardoned by Jimmie Carter in his first week in office came back from Canada to teach generations of kids how to hate.
Most of those who left this country for Canada did so in opposition to the US invasion of South Vietnam. Another in a long line of imperial adventures that claimed the lives of over 50,000 Americans and millions of innocent Asians.

The radicals abandoned their government but not their country.

Most of those who left this country for Canada did so in opposition to the US invasion of South Vietnam. Another in a long line of imperial adventures that claimed the lives of over 50,000 Americans and millions of innocent Asians.

Was the Spanish American War an "imperialist adventure" or WW1 or WW2? How about Korea? The dirty little secret is that the spoiled dope-heads who fled to Canada could have served their Country in any number of ways but they were too committed to a self-serving spoiled lifestyle and they renounced their Country to save their own skins.

"Total Cold War"

Side note...

But, somehow, the left cannot "hate" government for the ideological exercise of state power.

The point of a free society is that the individual gets to choose his reasons for loving his country. Person A can love America for the Civil Rights Movement, whereas person B can love it for winning WWII. Fascism is when one person dictates his reasons to the rest.

It becomes a terrible farce when a president says "if you don't support my war" (which is slaughtering innocent soldiers based on a misguided policy) "than you hate the country".

Wrong. I don't hate it. I just love it for different reasons. It's called freedom.

Excellent!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It seems that the radicals who abandoned their Country and were pardoned by Jimmie Carter in his first week in office came back from Canada to teach generations of kids how to hate.

Are you talking about the revolution in scholarship which celebrated the Civil Rights Movement, the Woman's Rights Movement, and multiculturalism? -Because none of these intellectual movements are a source of hatred for America. They are critical of certain social conditions and government policies just as Milton Friedman was critical of certain government policies (like the New Deal).

Are you talking about Herbert Macuse and the Frankfort School who fled the Nazis and took up residence in the United States? Marcuse could quite possibly be considered the intellectual father of the radical American 60's Left..
One-Dimensional Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marcuse loved America, but he hated state power and economic exploitation.

Are you talking about Martin Luther King, another hero of the sixties left? Because he also loved America and had faith that there would some day be a black president.

Are you talking about the great feminist leaders on the Left who fought for suffrage and equality?

Are you sure that all these people on the Left hated America?

Or did they just oppose certain policies as vigorously as you oppose the policies you disagree with?

(with all do respect sir, you are insane)

[This is talk radio propaganda of the rankest vintage. It's a way of undermining liberal values by accusing the Left of hating America because they disagree with things like Jim Crow and the Vietnam War -- two reprehensible atrocities which slaughtered innocent Americans. Just because I don't believe that America is better and therefore has a right to rule others, doesn't mean I hate America. Just because I don't think whites are better than blacks, doesn't mean I hate whites. This narrow minded paranoid insecure addiction to supremacy is not only absurd, it's the kind of pathology that leads to violence]

Last edited:

"Total Cold War"

Side note...

Have we reached the point where nation states have outlived any usefulness they ever possessed?

"Noam Chomsky interviewed by uncredited interviewer
ZNet Germany, May 18, 2005

"Q: We want to talk about the two dominant power structures of the modern era: the national state and the transnational corporations. The first question is, could you please talk about the rise of this concept of the national state: Why was it created, and what were its consequences?

"Well, the nation state is pretty much a European invention, I mean there were similar things, but the nation state in the modern form was largely created in Europe over many centuries.

"It's so unnatural and artificial that it had to be imposed by extreme violence.

"In fact that's the primary reason why Europe was the most savage part of the world for centuries.

"It was due to trying to impose a nation state system on cultures and societies that are varied and if you look at them had no relation to this artificial structure."

State and Corp.,

The idea that ANY nation is the "greatest" nation is absolutely stupid. And the truth is that Americans saying that the US is the greatest nation is meaningless. Aside from the fact that it's horribly biased, there are 200 other countries in the world, all stuffed to the seams full of people who will all say THEIR country is the greatest country. Sure, there are people in other countries who desire or do come to the US, become citizens, and live here the rest of their lives. But every country has its immigrants, and the US has plenty of people who emigrate to other countries.

It's often said to be a very patriotic thing to say that "America is the greatest nation on Earth." I think that it's anything but. I think of this along the same lines as growing up with siblings (grew up with two sisters mostly, until my brother was born when I was in HS). Do you think I ever said either of my sisters was the most beautiful girl in the world? Do you think I ever said that either was the greatest person in the world? Do you think I was inclined to say ANYTHING nice about them at all? Because most of the stuff I said was pretty harsh and critical. Most of the time, my actions and behavior toward them was mean spirited and mischievious. Even today, I hound and harass them with little mercy. But GOD HELP YOU if you so much as curse one too many times in their presence because then you and I are going to have some major problems. Because they are MY sisters. I know damn near everything about them, and they aren't the greatest people to ever live, not by a long shot. I know all their flaws inside and out, maybe even better than they do. But I love my sisters, not because their supposed near perfection, but because of their flaws and everything that makes them who they are.

The TRUE patriot will say that it doesn't matter if this is the greatest country in the world, because it's still MY country. However good it is, great. But for everything and anything bad and horrible about this country, it will never be enough to make me abandon or forsake it. If need be, I will stand in this country's defense, if so necessary would gladly die to protect the rights of our constitution, and could never be swayed to betray MY country. Because my country isn't perfect, it's not the greatest country in the world, it's just a country. But it's my country, and I will always be willing to do what I can to make sure this country maintains and continually improves. Because whatever else you may like to say about the United States of America, the best thing about our country has never been what we are, but has always been what we can yet do.

Last edited:
The idea that ANY nation is the "greatest" nation is absolutely stupid. And the truth is that Americans saying that the US is the greatest nation is meaningless. Aside from the fact that it's horribly biased, there are 200 other countries in the world, all stuffed to the seams full of people who will all say THEIR country is the greatest country. Sure, there are people in other countries who desire or do come to the US, become citizens, and live here the rest of their lives. But every country has its immigrants, and the US has plenty of people who emigrate to other countries.

It's often said to be a very patriotic thing to say that "America is the greatest nation on Earth." I think that it's anything but. I think of this along the same lines as growing up with siblings (grew up with two sisters mostly, until my brother was born when I was in HS). Do you think I ever said either of my sisters was the most beautiful girl in the world? Do you think I ever said that either was the greatest person in the world? Do you think I was inclined to say ANYTHING nice about them at all? Because most of the stuff I said was pretty harsh and critical. Most of the time, my actions and behavior toward them was mean spirited and mischievious. Even today, I hound and harass them with little mercy. But GOD HELP YOU if you so much as curse one too many times in their presence because then you and I are going to have some major problems. Because they are MY sisters. I know damn near everything about them, and they aren't the greatest people to ever live, not by a long shot. I know all their flaws inside and out, maybe even better than they do. But I love my sisters, not because their supposed near perfection, but because of their flaws and everything that makes them who they are.

The TRUE patriot will say that it doesn't matter if this is the greatest country in the world, because it's still MY country. However good it is, great. But for everything and anything bad and horrible about this country, it will never be enough to make me abandon or forsake it. If need be, I will stand in this country's defense, if so necessary would gladly die to protect the rights of our constitution, and could never be swayed to betray MY country. Because my country isn't perfect, it's not the greatest country in the world, it's just a country. But it's my country, and I will always be willing to do what I can to make sure this country maintains and continually improves. Because whatever else you may like to say about the United States of America, the best thing about our country has never been what we are, but has always been what we can yet do.
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

It's often said to be a very patriotic thing to say that "America is the greatest nation on Earth." I think that it's anything but. I think of this along the same lines as growing up with siblings (grew up with two sisters mostly, until my brother was born when I was in HS). Do you think I ever said either of my sisters was the most beautiful girl in the world? Do you think I ever said that either was the greatest person in the world? Do you think I was inclined to say ANYTHING nice about them at all? Because most of the stuff I said was pretty harsh and critical. Most of the time, my actions and behavior toward them was mean spirited and mischievious. Even today, I hound and harass them with little mercy. But GOD HELP YOU if you so much as curse one too many times in their presence because then you and I are going to have some major problems. Because they are MY sisters. I know damn near everything about them, and they aren't the greatest people to ever live, not by a long shot. I know all their flaws inside and out, maybe even better than they do. But I love my sisters, not because they're supposed near perfection, but because of their flaws and everything that makes them who they are.

The United States set the standard for freedom and democracy on the globe. No other nation in the world enjoys the freedom that the US Constitution gave us. My Country is not only the greatest Country in the world but it is the greatest form of government ever created in the world. Why not acknowlege that your Country is the greatest and needs constant vigilance by the people to keep it that way? Would that offend left wing sensibilities?

Was the Spanish American War an "imperialist adventure" or WW1 or WW2? How about Korea? The dirty little secret is that the spoiled dope-heads who fled to Canada could have served their Country in any number of ways but they were too committed to a self-serving spoiled lifestyle and they renounced their Country to save their own skins.
I don't see how Cuba, the Philippines and Spain posed any threat to the US homeland, so I would label those imperial adventures also.

Koreans, North and South, wanted nothing more after WWII than to be left alone; however, the Russians and the US had other plans.

Our involvement in WWI came about after a stalemate developed in Europe and it looked like investment bankers in London and New York would lose their bets. Had we not gotten involved it seems likely that Germany would not have been crushed militarily and Hitler might never have come to power.

Why do you automatically assume those who blindly follow their governments into war are patriots as opposed to slaves?

The United States set the standard for freedom and democracy on the globe.

Actually, ancient Athens set the standard for democracy in the world. There have been many a free state through history, and in fact the British Empire offered great freedom. Let's be honest, the real reason the colonies rebelled against the crown was the issue of taxation. But many founding fathers, like Benjamin Franklin, believed that the British Empire was the world's premier shining star for freedom and prosperity.

No other nation in the world enjoys the freedom that the US Constitution gave us.

Really? You might want to check on that. Because if I go to the Netherlands, I won't ever have to worry about my phone line being secretly tapped by the government, and I'll also have the freedom to marry the person I love, even if that were another man. All you're doing here is taking what you have, and enshrining it as "the best." As I said earlier, that's meaningless.

My Country is not only the greatest Country in the world but it is the greatest form of government ever created in the world.

And what form would that be? The democratic element of our government? Of course, that was first seen in ancient Athens. Or do you mean the republican aspect of our government? Of course, that was first seen in Rome. The federalist aspect of our government? But that was anything but novel when the US was formed. The secular aspect of our government? That too was never unique to the US. Okay, I give up.

But here's a question....if our form of government is the "greatest" then why don't all other countries start following it? Oh, that's right, there are many countries that have their own form of democracy and republicanism, and they structure their country in the way that THEY think is the best. Okay then, what makes your "greatest" more authoritative than a Canadian's "greatest"?

Why not acknowlege that your Country is the greatest and needs constant vigilance by the people to keep it that way?

Because the "greatest" country would not need constant vigilance. Because the notion of "greatest" is meaningless when it's applied to this kind of thing. Because I'm a realist, and I don't believe in engaging in emotional frivoloties of this kind.

Would that offend left wing sensibilities?

I don't know, you'd have to ask someone from the left wing.

It's often said to be a very patriotic thing to say that "America is the greatest nation on Earth." I think that it's anything but. I think of this along the same lines as growing up with siblings (grew up with two sisters mostly, until my brother was born when I was in HS). Do you think I ever said either of my sisters was the most beautiful girl in the world? Do you think I ever said that either was the greatest person in the world? Do you think I was inclined to say ANYTHING nice about them at all? Because most of the stuff I said was pretty harsh and critical. Most of the time, my actions and behavior toward them was mean spirited and mischievious. Even today, I hound and harass them with little mercy. But GOD HELP YOU if you so much as curse one too many times in their presence because then you and I are going to have some major problems. Because they are MY sisters. I know damn near everything about them, and they aren't the greatest people to ever live, not by a long shot. I know all their flaws inside and out, maybe even better than they do. But I love my sisters, not because they're supposed near perfection, but because of their flaws and everything that makes them who they are.

The United States set the standard for freedom and democracy on the globe. No other nation in the world enjoys the freedom that the US Constitution gave us. My Country is not only the greatest Country in the world but it is the greatest form of government ever created in the world. Why not acknowlege that your Country is the greatest and needs constant vigilance by the people to keep it that way? Would that offend left wing sensibilities?
Can you think of a benevolent empire?

"Subjecting claims of American greatness to historical review suggests a more complex story.

"The United States has made important strides in recent decades to shed a brutal racist history and create a fairer society at home, though still falling short of a truly honest accounting and often leaving the most vulnerable in seemingly perpetual poverty.

"At the same time, U.S. policy abroad has been relentlessly barbaric.

"Such an examination would lead to some simple conclusions: The United States was founded on noble principles that it has advanced and, often at the same time, undermined.

"As the United States has emerged as a world power with imperial ambitions - and we rest now at a place where commentators from all points on the political spectrum use the term 'empire' to describe the United States, often in a celebratory fashion - we have much to answer for.

"Historically, empires are never benevolent, and nothing in history has changed that should lead to the conclusion that the United States will be the first benevolent empire.

"Unless, of course, one believes that God has a hand in all this."

Greatest Nation..

"And what of the third American holocaust, the building of the American empire in the Third World? What did the nation that finally turned its back on slavery turn to?"

Amaze me some more, daveman.

Slavery = involuntary migration?

What about US greatness in the Philippines?

Involuntary suicide?
This is how you lie by telling the truth. You tell the big lie by carefully selecting only the small, isolated truths, linking them in such a way that that advance the bigger lie by painting a picture inside the viewer's head. The Ascended High Master of this Dark Art is Noam Chomsky ... Michael Moore used exactly this technique to make people believe that America is a land of terrified, racist murderers who are armed to the teeth solely because of their fear of black people. For this he was given an Academy Award, and Bowling for Columbine has been called "the best documentary film ever made."

-- Bill Whittle​
You've been lied to, George. And you're stupid enough to believe it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back