Great Yard Sign Explaining President Obama's Change

The best liar is he who makes the smallest amount of lying go the longest way.
Samuel Butler

The way the most professional liars spin their web of deceit is to tell just enough truth and then shut up! They know CON$ are too STUPID to know what was left out no matter how obviously important the missing data is.

The reason the top earners paid more taxes after their rates were cut was because their income increased more, but that entire rant never mentions any changes in income.

Also, isn't it interesting to note that when the CBO supports the CON$ it is fair and balanced, but when it doesn't it's controlled by the Democrats. :cuckoo:

Effects of the 1981 Tax Act on the Distribution of Income and Taxes Paid

OVERALL DISTRIBUTIONAL CHANGES

Between 1980 and 1983, the share of individual income taxes paid by taxpayers in the top 1 percent of the income distribution increased from 19.1 percent to 20.6 percent. This increase occurred even though the group experienced the largest reduction in average tax rates. Other taxpayers in the top half of the income distribution paid a lower share of taxes over this period, notably those between the 2nd and 25th percentiles of the income distribution, whose share fell from 54.1 percent to 52.7 percent. The share of taxes paid by taxpayers in the next highest quartile fell slightly, while the share of taxes paid by taxpayers in the bottom half of the income distribution increased slightly from 6.9 percent to 7.0 percent.

The principal reason why those in the top percentile paid an increased share of taxes was that their incomes grew faster. Income for this group increased by 42.4 percent between 1980 and 1983, compared to a 24.5 percent growth for income averaged over all returns. A major component of this relatively greater income growth was realized capital gains. For the top percentile, realized capital gains increased by 89 percent between 1980 and 1983 and were responsible for more than the entire difference between the growth in income in the top percentile and the growth averaged over all returns.

The tax system was less progressive in 1983 than in 1980, despite the increased share of taxes paid by the top percentile. Summary measures based on the distribution of after-tax income, arguably the best way to determine progressivity, show that the distribution of after-tax income was less equal in 1983 and that the tax system had a smaller effect in reducing inequality.

It is important to note that an increase in the share of after-tax income received by high-income groups does not necessarily mean that other groups are becoming worse off in absolute terms. Tax reductions that raise the income share and tax payments of upper income groups can also increase the after-tax incomes of lower income groups if (1) increased saving or work effort by those in the top bracket, by adding to the capital stock or the availability of skilled labor, increases real wages for all groups over time or (2) if higher tax payments by upper-income groups allow for larger tax reductions for lower-income groups. The first of these effects would be expected to appear only in the longer term, while the second would occur only as a result of subsequent legislative action.

Such effects cannot be detected in the 1980-1983 data. During this period, the real after-tax income per return in the bottom half of the income distribution declined by almost 3 percent and remained virtually constant for returns in the next highest 25 percent of the income distribution. For the top percentile of returns, the increase in real after-tax income per return was almost 23 percent.

I'm curious did you actually read the CBO report you put up here or just post it because od the results showed between 1980 and 1983? I completely agree with your comment about professional liars so I will finish this for you as it has been my experience that as long as the buzz words are touched on for most liberals that all that is required to get them to form some sort of agreement. You did happen to notice that the bill was signed into law in August 1981 and that all of the tax provisions would be in place after 3 years? If you had a little idea about how the Govt. works then you would know that the tax cuts would not show any results until after 1983 which they clearly did. The period from 1980 to 1983 covers a period that also includes Carter's term as President. While I appreciate your posting the CBO study let me post a paraqgraph from that...

It is important to note that an increase in the share of after-tax income received by high-income groups does not necessarily mean that other groups are becoming worse off in absolute terms. Tax reductions that raise the income share and tax payments of upper income groups can also increase the after-tax incomes of lower income groups if (1) increased saving or work effort by those in the top bracket, by adding to the capital stock or the availability of skilled labor, increases real wages for all groups over time or (2) if higher tax payments by upper-income groups allow for larger tax reductions for lower-income groups. The first of these effects would be expected to appear only in the longer term, while the second would occur only as a result of subsequent legislative action.

You do know what the word longer term means don't you or are you so afraid to admit that a Republican actually created a healthy economy from a disaster created by a democrat? I am willing to give Bill Clinton his due when it comes to the economy. So this revisionist look at Reagan like so many others fails miserably.

I'n curious if you actually read my post or did you just decide to argue for the sake of arguing? If you had actually read my post you would have seen that I included that paragraph you re-quoted as well as the very important following paragraph that you conspicuously left out!!!! I made it big enough so you can't miss it this time, but I'm curious as to why you left it out, especially the first sentence, since it is directly related to the paragraph you repeated????

And while some of the provisions of Reagan's tax cuts didn't go into effect till 1983, that doesn't mean that none of his tax cuts started till 1983. As far as Carter's contribution, when he left office in Jan 1981 unemployment was 7.5% and the last month before the tax cuts passed unemployment dropped to 7.2%, so the economy was improving before Reagan's tax cuts passed. Immediately after Reagan's tax cuts passed, unemployment began to rise to a max of 10.8% for Nov and Dec of 1982 and stayed at double digits for 10 months. It is not credible to blame this on Carter, just as it is dishonest to credit the economic recovery that began in 1983 to the tax cuts alone by ignoring that they were followed by numerous tax increases once the numbers had shown the pragmatic Reagan that the tax cuts did not produce the predicted effects.

Here is a list of Reagan's tax increases after his tax cut in 1981.

First term

1. Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982

2. Highway Revenue Act of 1982

3. Social Security Amendments of 1983

4. Interest and Dividend Tax Compliance Act of 1983

5. Deficit Reduction Act of 1984

Second term

6. Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985

7. Tax Reform Act of 1986

8. Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987

Do you even have a clue to the fact that this nations, and its citizens prosperity from the mid 80's through the 90's was due to Reaganomics, and the fact that CLINTON elected to extend Reagans economic policies?

Why of course you don't!

Christ, liberals are friggin' idiots!:cuckoo:

I know but sometimes, for mental sanity, we have to take a step back and look in on all the ridiculousness and laugh.

I know what you mean. I felt the same way for the previous 8 years. Every so often, I can get the same effect watching Sarah Palin. ;)

I find it really annoying that we can't discuss and agree or disagree with a politicians specific ideas but we spend our entire time degrading someone so that no one will even hear what someone has to say.

What sounds more intelligent and less juvenile; "I don't agree with palin because <insert reason here>" or saying "she is a dumb bitch lolololololol ROFLMAO at her face."?

I'm curious did you actually read the CBO report you put up here or just post it because od the results showed between 1980 and 1983? I completely agree with your comment about professional liars so I will finish this for you as it has been my experience that as long as the buzz words are touched on for most liberals that all that is required to get them to form some sort of agreement. You did happen to notice that the bill was signed into law in August 1981 and that all of the tax provisions would be in place after 3 years? If you had a little idea about how the Govt. works then you would know that the tax cuts would not show any results until after 1983 which they clearly did. The period from 1980 to 1983 covers a period that also includes Carter's term as President. While I appreciate your posting the CBO study let me post a paraqgraph from that...

You do know what the word longer term means don't you or are you so afraid to admit that a Republican actually created a healthy economy from a disaster created by a democrat? I am willing to give Bill Clinton his due when it comes to the economy. So this revisionist look at Reagan like so many others fails miserably.

I'n curious if you actually read my post or did you just decide to argue for the sake of arguing? If you had actually read my post you would have seen that I included that paragraph you re-quoted as well as the very important following paragraph that you conspicuously left out!!!! I made it big enough so you can't miss it this time, but I'm curious as to why you left it out, especially the first sentence, since it is directly related to the paragraph you repeated????

And while some of the provisions of Reagan's tax cuts didn't go into effect till 1983, that doesn't mean that none of his tax cuts started till 1983. As far as Carter's contribution, when he left office in Jan 1981 unemployment was 7.5% and the last month before the tax cuts passed unemployment dropped to 7.2%, so the economy was improving before Reagan's tax cuts passed. Immediately after Reagan's tax cuts passed, unemployment began to rise to a max of 10.8% for Nov and Dec of 1982 and stayed at double digits for 10 months. It is not credible to blame this on Carter, just as it is dishonest to credit the economic recovery that began in 1983 to the tax cuts alone by ignoring that they were followed by numerous tax increases once the numbers had shown the pragmatic Reagan that the tax cuts did not produce the predicted effects.

Here is a list of Reagan's tax increases after his tax cut in 1981.

First term

1. Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982

2. Highway Revenue Act of 1982

3. Social Security Amendments of 1983

4. Interest and Dividend Tax Compliance Act of 1983

5. Deficit Reduction Act of 1984

Second term

6. Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985

7. Tax Reform Act of 1986

8. Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987

Do you even have a clue to the fact that this nations, and its citizens prosperity from the mid 80's through the 90's was due to Reaganomics, and the fact that CLINTON elected to extend Reagans economic policies?

Why of course you don't!

Christ, liberals are friggin' idiots!:cuckoo:
So you say St Ronnie's 8 tax increases in 6 years gave the country lasting prosperity.
How very "friggin' Liberal" of you! :lol:

I know but sometimes, for mental sanity, we have to take a step back and look in on all the ridiculousness and laugh.

I know what you mean. I felt the same way for the previous 8 years. Every so often, I can get the same effect watching Sarah Palin. ;)

I find it really annoying that we can't discuss and agree or disagree with a politicians specific ideas but we spend our entire time degrading someone so that no one will even hear what someone has to say.

What sounds more intelligent and less juvenile; "I don't agree with palin because <insert reason here>" or saying "she is a dumb bitch lolololololol ROFLMAO at her face."?

I'll take the first example ;).

ED, the overall tax rate was lowered by Reagan. Yes he passed laws that changed and added some taxes but overall he reduced them.....why do you think bush Sr had to raise them, because Reagan cut them to a level that wouldn't sustain the overly large government and its bureaucracies.

change-means.jpg

I almost peed my pants when i saw that :D

:lol:

I wonder if that's taken around the corner from where we live. The guy's got a regular compound with barbed wire and "Trespassers will be shot" signs.

ED, the overall tax rate was lowered by Reagan. Yes he passed laws that changed and added some taxes but overall he reduced them.....why do you think bush Sr had to raise them, because Reagan cut them to a level that wouldn't sustain the overly large government and its bureaucracies.
The overall tax cut was reduced on the wealthy, but INCREASED on the MIDDLE CLASS.

In 1980, according to Congressional Budget Office estimates, middle-income families with children paid 8.2 percent of their income in income taxes, and 9.5 percent in payroll taxes. By 1988 the income tax share was down to 6.6 percent but the payroll tax share was up to 11.8 percent, and the combined burden was up from 17.7% to 18.4%, shifting some of the tax burden from the PROGRESSIVE income tax to the REGRESSIVE payroll tax.

The overall tax cut was reduced on the wealthy, but INCREASED on the MIDDLE CLASS.

In 1980, according to Congressional Budget Office estimates, middle-income families with children paid 8.2 percent of their income in income taxes, and 9.5 percent in payroll taxes. By 1988 the income tax share was down to 6.6 percent but the payroll tax share was up to 11.8 percent, and the combined burden was up from 17.7% to 18.4%, shifting some of the tax burden from the PROGRESSIVE income tax to the REGRESSIVE payroll tax.

Who the fuck cares ed!!!! The top 10% of wage earners pay 95% of the payroll taxes collected by the government.....and your happy ass is bitching about a couple hundred dollars AT MOST!!!???? :rofl:

Who the fuck cares ed!!!! The top 10% of wage earners pay 95% of the payroll taxes collected by the government.....and your happy ass is bitching about a couple hundred dollars AT MOST!!!???? :rofl:

The top 50% pay 97% of the total income tax. The middle class pays the other 3%. The poor get a tax refund for all of their income tax.

bush lowered the middle class' rates by 3% and the rich's rates by 1%.

Also under reagan the lower and middle class' responsibilty decreased while the burdon on the wealthy increased.

fig-1.gif

Last edited:

The top 50% pay 97% of the total income tax. The middle class pays the other 3%. The poor get a tax refund for all of their income tax.

bush lowered the middle class' rates by 3% and the rich's rates by 1%.

Also under reagan the lower and middle class' responsibilty decreased while the burdon on the wealthy increased.

fig-1.gif
You can always tell when CON$ lost the argument, they move the goal posts.

YOU brought up OVERALL taxes, falsely claiming St Ronnie lowered OVERALL tax rates. When I showed you that he lowered the progressive income tax rate and raised the regressive payroll tax rate effectively shifting the OVERALL tax burden from the wealthy to the middle class, you change the subject away from OVERALL taxes to income taxes only and from Reagan to Bush, rather than admit you were wrong. Bush and the GOP controlled Congress increased the payroll tax threshold thus raising taxes on middle class wage earners, partially offsetting the income tax cuts he gave to the middle class.

On the other hand, Capital Gains tycoons got a cut in their tax rate and they pay NO payroll taxes so they got a double bonus from Bush.

BALONEY!!!

There is a threshold of $102,000 above which there is no payroll tax, therefore the ENTIRE payroll tax burden is paid by wage earners UNDER $102,000.

BALONEY!!!

There is a threshold of $102,000 above which there is no payroll tax, therefore the ENTIRE payroll tax burden is paid by wage earners UNDER $102,000.

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

The stupidity of the duped just baffles the mind!!!! :rofl:

ed...we all know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer but please...stop making a complete asinine boob out of yourself in front of millions of people around the world.

Please cite your source for this LIE you just posted

BALONEY!!!

I have never seen a post that was more thoroughly WRONG...

This is fucking priceless

BALONEY!!!

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

ed...we all know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer but please...stop making a complete asinine boob out of yourself in front of millions of people around the world.

BALONEY!!!

As I have often said, nobody plays dumb better than CON$.

Obviously you guys have never worked for a living and paid payroll taxes.
FYI, Social Security Tax: For the year 2008, the employer must withhold 6.2% of an employee's wages and pay a matching amount in social security taxes until the employee reaches the wage base for the year. The combined total for the employee and the employer is equal to 12.4% of gross compensation. The wage base for social security tax in 2008 is $102,000. Once that amount is earned for a given year, neither the employee nor the employer owe any additional social security tax for that year.
The maximum amount subject to Social Security withholding is adjusted for inflation annually.
Year Amount
2001 80,400
2002 84,900
2003 87,000
2004 87,000 (no change)
2005 90,000
2006 94,200
2007 97,500
2008 102,000
2009 106,800
Even the extremist right wing Heritage Foundation admits there is a cap on payroll taxes. :rofl:
Raising the Social Security Payroll Tax Cap Does Not Fix Social Security
Currently, workers pay Social Security payroll taxes on only the first $90,000 of their annual income. This “wage cap” is indexed to the growth of real wages in the economy and increases every year. The wage cap serves to limits the amount of Social Security benefits that a well-off retiree will receive. Even though Bill Gates and Donald Trump earn millions of dollars a year, for the purpose of calculating Social Security benefits, they earned just $90,000 in 2004.

BALONEY!!!

BALONEY!!!

FYI, Social Security Tax: For the year 2008, the employer must withhold 6.2% of an employee's wages and pay a matching amount in social security taxes until the employee reaches the wage base for the year. The combined total for the employee and the employer is equal to 12.4% of gross compensation. The wage base for social security tax in 2008 is $102,000. Once that amount is earned for a given year, neither the employee nor the employer owe any additional social security tax for that year.
The maximum amount subject to Social Security withholding is adjusted for inflation annually.
Year Amount
2001 80,400
2002 84,900
2003 87,000
2004 87,000 (no change)
2005 90,000
2006 94,200
2007 97,500
2008 102,000
2009 106,800
Even the extremist right wing Heritage Foundation admits there is a cap on payroll taxes. :rofl:
Currently, workers pay Social Security payroll taxes on only the first $90,000 of their annual income. This “wage cap” is indexed to the growth of real wages in the economy and increases every year. The wage cap serves to limits the amount of Social Security benefits that a well-off retiree will receive. Even though Bill Gates and Donald Trump earn millions of dollars a year, for the purpose of calculating Social Security benefits, they earned just $90,000 in 2004.

Obviously you are backpedaling like a sonofabitch

You first mention overall taxes... which Reagan DID cut overall... then you claim only income under $102K is taxed... then you backpedal (knowing your mistake) to then try and only put it to social security 'tax'

FACT... The richest pay taxes higher than the rest in terms of total AND percentage
FACT... They pay it on all income over 102K as well
FACT... Even with the claimed 'rich tax cut', they still pay more of a percentage than any middle class taxpayer....
FACT... most people under minimum wage pay zero in income taxes and get full refunds
FACT.. your fraudulent argument was torn to shreds
FACT... You are a partisan leftist hack moron

ed...if you were any stupider (is that a real word) you would be a poster child for NEA.org

Do you honestly think that the ONLY tax we pay as employees is Social Security? Are you really this stupid or are you just playing games?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PatekPhilippe

Who the fuck cares ed!!!! The top 10% of wage earners pay 95% of the payroll taxes collected by the government.....and your happy ass is bitching about a couple hundred dollars AT MOST!!!????

Year Amount
2001 80,400
2002 84,900
2003 87,000
2004 87,000 (no change)
2005 90,000
2006 94,200
2007 97,500
2008 102,000
2009 106,800

Obviously you are backpedaling like a sonofabitch

You first mention overall taxes... which Reagan DID cut overall... then you claim only income under $102K is taxed... then you backpedal (knowing your mistake) to then try and only put it to social security 'tax'

FACT... The richest pay taxes higher than the rest in terms of total AND percentage
FACT... They pay it on all income over 102K as well
FACT... Even with the claimed 'rich tax cut', they still pay more of a percentage than any middle class taxpayer....
FACT... most people under minimum wage pay zero in income taxes and get full refunds
FACT.. your fraudulent argument was torn to shreds
FACT... You are a partisan leftist hack moron
Nowhere did I say only income under $102,000 is taxed, I said payroll tax is capped at a threshold of $102,000 when the moron PeePee said 95% of PAYROLL TAXES were paid by the top 10% of wage earners.
As I showed with CBO numbers, OVERALL taxes went UP on the middle class under Reagan.
You only tore your Straw Man to shreds, proving you could not touch my actual argument.

Fallacy: Straw Man

Description of Straw Man

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

Person A has position X.
Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).
Person B attacks position Y.
Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.
This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because attacking a distorted version of a position simply does not constitute an attack on the position itself. One might as well expect an attack on a poor drawing of a person to hurt the person.

Originally Posted by PatekPhilippe

Who the fuck cares ed!!!! The top 10% of wage earners pay 95% of the payroll taxes collected by the government.....and your happy ass is bitching about a couple hundred dollars AT MOST!!!????
ed...if you were any stupider (is that a real word) you would be a poster child for NEA.org

Do you honestly think that the ONLY tax we pay as employees is Social Security? Are you really this stupid or are you just playing games?
I never said the ONLY tax we pay is SS payroll tax, I merely pointed out the utter stupidity of your claim that 95% of payroll taxes were paid by the top 10% of wage earners.

5652.strip.gif

Forum List

Back