Great White Sharks Off Cape Cod

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
I read Peter Benchley's book Jaws. I've watched the original movie, a true classic, and all its sequels.

No way I would be going in the water with great whites out there. No way I would let my kids into the water with great whites out there.

But people in and around Cape Cod do.

Would you?

Great White sharks spotted off Cape Cod
Beaches remain open despite sightings

Published : Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 5:40 PM EDT
Reporting by Julie Ruditzky

CHATHAM, MASS. (WPRI) - Swimmers and fisherman are watching the waters off of Cape Cod a little more closely after at least two Great White Sharks were spotted off shore. . . .

. . . .In the last week there have been at least two sightings in the waters off Chatham. Now, town officials in Chatham are asking swimmers to not venture to far off shore. . . .

. . . .During the last two summers beaches were closed after sharks were reported too close to the shore. However, this week's sitings have not yet forced officials to close beaches on the Cape.
Great White Shark Spotted off Cape Cod | WPRI.com

Stinson Beach near San Francisco has been reopened since they closed it due to a great white spotted close to the swimming area.

jaws11-thumb-300x225.jpg
Nothing to worry about they said.

June 24--Just in time for the weekend, park officials have lifted the ban on deep-water swimming at Stinson Beach after a great white shark was spotted on Sunday.

Alex Picavet, spokeswoman with the National Park Service, told reporters that they are set to impose any more restrictions should anyone spot another shark swimming too close to shore.

A helicopter spotted a nearly 15-foot great white shark cruising through the waters about 200 feet from the shore on Sunday afternoon while families frolicked at the beach.

"It was pretty close to the shore," lifeguard Scott Palmer told the Marin Independent Journal earlier this week.

Great.

It's wonderful that beautiful predators like that are making a comeback after being decimated.

Last edited:
It took almost 5 years to get me back in to the ocean swimming after seeing JAWS! :eek: I went to the beach, and stuck my big toe in the water, but i was too scared to go in the water any deeper than that....!!!! even stopped water skiing for those 5 years or so....

I finally got over it....

Great.

It's wonder that beautiful predators like that are making a comeback after being decimated.

They are not beautiful, they are killing machines. No remorse, no pity, no sense of of anything remotely human.

Cool,there are some truly incredible creature in the worlds oceans,nce had a monster tiger shark steal a 30lb tuna just as we got it to the boat.Other captains reported the also lost fish to a giant tiger,this thing was 15 feet long.

It took almost 5 years to get me back in to the ocean swimming after seeing JAWS! :eek: I went to the beach, and stuck my big toe in the water, but i was too scared to go in the water any deeper than that....!!!! even stopped water skiing for those 5 years or so....

I finally got over it....

The funny thing is we were swimming around while nervously joking about Jaws!

Our friend has a permit to drive out on Sandy Neck and we were out there all day long on Wednesday... Highly recommended and a gorgeous sunset too!

I heard afterward that they had a sonar tracking device on the shark and they knew it was in the area but a couple miles out... I was swimming pretty far out though not that far... We did see a low flying Coast Guard plane do a fly over at one point. Pretty scary when you think about it...

Great.

It's wonder that beautiful predators like that are making a comeback after being decimated.

They are not beautiful, they are killing machines. No remorse, no pity, no sense of of anything remotely human.

I thought they were killing machines.

Great Whites aren't shoving other Great Whites into ovens.

They have a great deal of grace, they are amazingly adapted to their environment and eat only what they need to survive.

Magnificent creatures that prove that us humans are not always at the top of the food chain.

Great.

They have a great deal of grace, they are amazingly adapted to their environment and eat only what they need to survive.

Including each other. A wounded shark in the water, seeping blood, will be eaten very quickly by his pals.

"If you open the beaches on the fourth of July, it's like ringing the dinner bell, for Christ's sake!" chief Brody

Including each other. A wounded shark in the water, seeping blood, will be eaten very quickly by his pals.

Check your history pal. Humans have eaten each other for lots less.

Did any of you see that discovery Channel documentary where tourists filmed the Killer Whale, taking down the Great white shark off the coast of Hawaii?

In that case, the Killer whale usurped the great white shark, and killed him. Then the other killer whales gathered and ate the shark's organs....then left the remains for all the other sea scavengers.

I hear tell one of the best place to see Great Whites is in the waters north of Long Island and south of Cape Cod.

The white shark inhabits coastal and offshore waters of the continental shelf. Periodically it will wander into bays and harbours. This shark also inhabits waters around oceanic islands. The great white shark occurs in surface waters and down to a depth of 1280 meters (4,240 feet).

Bull sharks are aggressive creatures and common in almost all coastal waters. Very territorial and hang out in shallow water. The really creepy thing is they can tolerate different salinity levels - meaning they can hang out very easily in the Chesapeake. They can even tolerate fresh water.

Think about that for a few........

Da dum

Da dum

Da dum

Da dum
Da dum.........

:razz:

Check your history pal. Humans have eaten each other for lots less.

Less than what? So in your hierarchy of life value, human life is below killing machines like the shark.

You hear a lot about the Great White Sharks. How come you don't hear so much about it's cousin, the Great Purple Shark?

Forum List

Back