Great white sharks are afraid of orcas

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
694940094001_6024837003001_6024837275001-vs.jpg

I find myself shaking my head over this. It says this study was just released. Yeah? I read about this years ago. It’s been known to fishermen for years that Orcas attacks sharks, butting them to break their ribs, to protect their young.

A new study led by the Monterey Bay Aquarium and published Tuesday in Nature found great white sharks leave their “preferred hunting ground” when orcas — also known as killer whales — enter it. In fact, researchers found the sharks won’t return to those areas for roughly a year — even if the orcas don’t stay that long.

More @ Great white sharks are afraid of orcas, study finds

694940094001_6024837003001_6024837275001-vs.jpg

I find myself shaking my head over this. It says this study was just released. Yeah? I read about this years ago. It’s been known to fishermen for years that Orcas attacks sharks, butting them to break their ribs, to protect their young.

A new study led by the Monterey Bay Aquarium and published Tuesday in Nature found great white sharks leave their “preferred hunting ground” when orcas — also known as killer whales — enter it. In fact, researchers found the sharks won’t return to those areas for roughly a year — even if the orcas don’t stay that long.

More @ Great white sharks are afraid of orcas, study finds

The orcas fancy great white liver.....they double-team the shark and while it tries to fend one of them off, the other comes in underneath the shark and rips it's liver out. They seem to know exactly where to bite. The shark goes into shock and sinks to the bottom which is fine with the orcas...they're not interested in the rest of the carcass.

Last edited:
I'm a scuba diver, and have been for a long time, but I've thankfully never encountered either of these creatures in the wild. Both are incredibly scary and very efficient at killing. It is what they do.

I'm a scuba diver, and have been for a long time, but I've thankfully never encountered either of these creatures in the wild. Both are incredibly scary and very efficient at killing. It is what they do.
Thankfully it's generally surfers who get killed, not divers

It's my understanding (from watching the shark nuts on TV) that the great whites tend to leave people in the water with them alone. That being said, I'm not going to try it.

They mistake the surfer for a seal.

I’ve been on a few shark dives and they show no interest in us as divers.

They mistake the surfer for a seal.

I’ve been on a few shark dives and they show no interest in us as divers.
I dove Cocos with the hammerheads a couple times.

I got my leg bumped by a shark off Ft. Lauderdale swimming with a chick I met on the beach. We were out far enough not to be able to hear beach sounds. It felt like 80 grit sandpaper......I told her to swim as fast as she could back to shore and we lit out. I don't know if it missed a bite or what. I've always wondered why it didn't grab me or her....maybe it couldn't decide and gave up.

I've had em steal my stringer of fish several times while wade fishing.
One second you're fishing and the next you're frantically trying to hit the release on your belt.
I started tying off the stringer with a piece of 40lb mono after the first incident.

Forum List

Back