GREAT NEWS: Virginia Brings Back Confederate History Month.

And he also fought for the abolition of slavery.

I guess it was embaressing loving a slave...
Did he free his slaves while fighting for the abolition of slavery?

He freed them in his will, if I recall correctly.

No, Jefferson did not. Washington did, but Jefferson's estate was in deep enough debt that he considered it neccessary that the sale of his slaves be used to retire some of that debt. A chosen few were freed, most were simply put on the block.

Thomas Jefferson and Slaves: Teaching an American Paradox | OAH Magazine of History

The documents below suggest that Jefferson's attitudes and behavior toward his slaves derived from a combination of paternalistic concern and calculations of how to manage profitably his slave labor force. Jefferson reflected his paternalistic regard for the large group of people on his plantation by referring to them as "my family." Jefferson's "family" included his own white family members, overseers and hired hands, their families, and his slaves. Between 1774 and his death on 4 July 1826, the number of slaves Jefferson owned fluctuated between 117 and 223. In early 1827, Jefferson's white family offered for sale 130 members of his slave family to cover the considerable debt Jefferson incurred during his lifetime. Jefferson never bought and sold slaves in an effort to earn profits from the slave trade. "His infrequent purchases were usually made to fulfill needs of the moment and selling was primarily a reaction to financial demands" (8). Jefferson's letters below suggest that he sought to reunite slave family members or keep them together (9).

They should have never gotten rid of it in the first place. My only hope is that the teachers in the schools include Confederate History Month into their curriculum and teach it with the same amount of zeal that they promote black history month with.

LiveLeak.com - Virginia Brings Back Confederate History Month

RICHMOND -- Gov. Bob McDonnell has brought Confederate History Month back to Virginia after an eight-year hiatus.

McDonnell becomes the first governor since 2001 to designate April to commemorate the secessionist, slaveholding South.

I think it is a very good idea to have Confederate History Month, provided it is designed as a historical lesson and nothing more. The Civil War was a tragic chapter in our country's history - possibly the most tragic. But it was also vitally important in the historical chain of events that shaped this country and, as such, should be given its appropriate place in the education of generations of children.

What Confederate History Month should NOT be, is an opportunity to revive old viewpoints and agendas. I am always suspicious of the true motives behind those who advocate for the flying of the Confederate flag over state capitols in the South.

One of our best friends is a gal who was born and raised in Charleston, S.C. (excuse me, make that "Chawls-ton," S.C.). Down there, they still refer to the Civil War as "The recent unpleasantness."

I grew up in Bamberg, SC. About 60 miles to the east of Charleston. My Grandaddy always referred to it as the War of Northern Aggression. It is as part of our history as anything else. You have to remember that though, the war fought about slavery. There is way to much primary source material out there to dispute that. The Stars and Bars itself is only tied to slavery by those that want to tie it to slavery. That flag was not the "Confederate Flag." The Confederate Flag looked like this:

800px-CSA_FLAG_28.11.1861-1.5.1863.svg.png

The flag that is commonly referred to as the Confederate Flag was actually the Battle flag for the Army of Northern Virginia. It honored for the men that fought for the cause of the South. Though the South lost, the pride in the men that fought and died in its defense has never diminished. Taking the flag down would be to sweep under the rug the entire ordeal. I would rather have that flag fly over the Statehouse, especially in South Carolina, to remind us of what happens when government acts irresponsibly.

Well neither was the Confederacy formed on the sole basis of protecting slavery, but it doesn't matter either way. Slavery is something the founders of this nation took great pains to protect. Both nations are equally guilty of slavery, and if you condemn one you must condemn both. You can't protest Confederate History Month while simultaneously celebrating Independence Day.

That's just historically inaccurate. The genesis of the Confederacy was the defense of slavery. Every succession resolution mentions slavery numerous times and it was the fear that Lincoln would take moves to end slavery which prompted the revolt. Furthermore, the Founding Fathers did not take "great pains to protect" slavery. They saw the slavery issue as one better left alone considering the context of the times. If you read the debates from the convention, no delegate makes an impassioned defense of slavery. The supporters of slavery argue that it's a necessary economic evil.

The genesis of the Confederacy was many reasons, it's historically inaccurate to say that it's only cause was slavery. You're ignoring the historical conflict between north and south over tariffs, and the fact that Lincoln had absolutely no support in the south and they didn't want him as President. And of course they took great pains to protect slavery. They removed Jefferson's verbal assault on Great Britain for introducing slavery to the colonies in the Declaration, enshrined slavery in the Constitution, and gave blacks a special designation as 3/5 of a person for census purposes.

But, once again, none of this matters. Slavery is the crime, not whatever reasons were given for secession by either the United or Confederate States. Both were guilty of slavery, and letting one off the hook just because they didn't say slavery was one of the reasons they seceded is ridiculous.

You are right. Slavery was not the only cause, but there is a helluva lot of primary source material out there to suggest that it was more the cause than anything else.

They should have never gotten rid of it in the first place. My only hope is that the teachers in the schools include Confederate History Month into their curriculum and teach it with the same amount of zeal that they promote black history month with.

RICHMOND -- Gov. Bob McDonnell has brought Confederate History Month back to Virginia after an eight-year hiatus.

McDonnell becomes the first governor since 2001 to designate April to commemorate the secessionist, slaveholding South.

I think it is a very good idea to have Confederate History Month, provided it is designed as a historical lesson and nothing more. The Civil War was a tragic chapter in our country's history - possibly the most tragic. But it was also vitally important in the historical chain of events that shaped this country and, as such, should be given its appropriate place in the education of generations of children.

What Confederate History Month should NOT be, is an opportunity to revive old viewpoints and agendas. I am always suspicious of the true motives behind those who advocate for the flying of the Confederate flag over state capitols in the South.

One of our best friends is a gal who was born and raised in Charleston, S.C. (excuse me, make that "Chawls-ton," S.C.). Down there, they still refer to the Civil War as "The recent unpleasantness."

I grew up in Bamberg, SC. About 60 miles to the east of Charleston. My Grandaddy always referred to it as the War of Northern Aggression. It is as part of our history as anything else. You have to remember that though, the war fought about slavery. There is way to much primary source material out there to dispute that. The Stars and Bars itself is only tied to slavery by those that want to tie it to slavery. That flag was not the "Confederate Flag." The Confederate Flag looked like this:

The flag that is commonly referred to as the Confederate Flag was actually the Battle flag for the Army of Northern Virginia. It honored for the men that fought for the cause of the South. Though the South lost, the pride in the men that fought and died in its defense has never diminished. Taking the flag down would be to sweep under the rug the entire ordeal. I would rather have that flag fly over the Statehouse, especially in South Carolina, to remind us of what happens when government acts irresponsibly.

The flag you posted is actually the "stars and bars," but the battle flag is mistakenly referred to as the "stars and bars."

The flag you posted is actually the "stars and bars," but the battle flag is mistakenly referred to as the "stars and bars."

I thought that came across in my post. :eusa_eh: Sorry for the confusion.

I thought that came across in my post. :eusa_eh: Sorry for the confusion.

My mistake I guess.

Good for Virginia.

One of the things that the kids will learn is that there was a LOT of Virginians who were not supportive of secession.

They will also learn that depite the fact that the VA legislature had NOT voted to join the CSA, some military units and POLs had already committed TREASON against the STATE OF VIRGINIA.

They began conducting military activities against the UNION
without the authority of the State government of Virginia.

So much for that whole "states' rights" apology some people drag out every time they're seeking to justify the rebellion, eh?

Those rebels were traitors to -- not patriots of -- the Grand Old Dominion, folks.

Last edited:

Good for Virginia.

One of the things that the kids will learn is that there was a LOT of Virginians who were not supportive of secession.

They will also learn that depite the fact that the VA legislature had NOT voted to join the CSA, some military units and POLs had already committed TREASON against the STATE OF VIRGINIA.

They began conducting military activities against the UNION
without the authority of the State government of Virginia.

So much for that whole "states' rights" apology some people drag out every time they're seeking to justify the rebellion, eh?

Those rebels were traitors to -- not patriots of -- the Grand Old Dominion, folks.

Irrelevant.

Virginia (and GA) is trying to capitalize on the 150th anniversary of the Civil War to capture much needed tax revenue.

Why the Civil War was fought is immaterial as long as anyone from NJ will drive to Fredricksburg to see a re-enactment, stay the night in The Old Dominion Hotel, eat a few meals, and buy a gimme-cap.

Forum List

Back