great news, thousands of people leaving the catholic church

Can you blame them for leaving. I don't think it is so much that they are abandoning their beliefs but no longer wish to hand over money to pay for law suits.

happy to see you qualified it with organized.

There is nothing wrong with Christianity or any other religion. The Bad shit that comes from it is always at its core, because of organized Churches claiming to follow the religion. Or perhaps following it a little to closely :)

exactly. I hope that every person gains the critical thinking ability along with the peace & time necessary to reach personal enlightenment, no matter what origin it comes from, but I absolutely despise organized religion

There is nothing wrong with Christianity or any other religion. The Bad shit that comes from it is always at its core, because of organized Churches claiming to follow the religion. Or perhaps following it a little to closely :)

exactly. I hope that every person gains the critical thinking ability along with the peace & time necessary to reach personal enlightenment, no matter what origin it comes from, but I absolutely despise organized religion

Any religion in my opinion that asks for money and funding is not a religion. Its a business.

Any religion in my opinion that asks for money and funding is not a religion. Its a business.

indeed tithing is a disgrace and it could be reasonably argued that people who donate money to the catholic church are contributing to the defense funds of tens of pedophiles

indeed tithing is a disgrace and it could be reasonably argued that people who donate money to the catholic church are contributing to the defense funds of tens of pedophiles

Argue nothing, that IS where peoples money is going. Its not only for the defense, but the settlements as well. So i cant blame people for leaving the church in droves and not supporting these actions with their money.

And I think that tells us more about you than about the evils of any organized religion.

Last edited:

And I think that tells us more about than about the evils of any organized religion.

what does it tell about me exactly? I think that is what you meant to say

And I think that tells us more about than about the evils of any organized religion.

what does it tell about me exactly? I think that is what you meant to say

Irrational anger comes to mind.

I don't think it is fair to tag every religion with the RCC's sins. Show me another centuries-old organized pedophilia ring, and mebbe I'll change my mind.

What is so rarely taken into account is that to be separated from the church of your upbringing is a sorrow. I've written before here on USMB about the RCC's sex abuse scandals and have received comments like "So what? If you aren't Catholic, STFU." Well, I was Catholic as a child. The outrageous hypocrisy of my caregivers, who were clergy, prolly helped to destroy my ability to believe in any form of christianity.....some would say, that's a loss.

The church was central to the lives of my family, who emigrated here in the 1920's. My grands were poorly educated people, and the church was where one registered births, marriages and deaths. Leaving it must have seemed incomprehensible to them as without it, one just did not exist. Excommunication was deeply feared, as was denial of the right to be buried in "hallowed ground".

If the RCC were not so corrupt from the top down, mebbe I'd have been comforted to hear the hymns and prayers I grew up with on Sundays. Mebbe I'd have had a church family. Mebbe I'd have had a place I felt comfy taking my kidlet for religious instruction. (Who knows...mebbe not. I acknowledge this possibility as well.)

I don't find the destruction of anyone's faith and church a reason to celebrate...I think it's sad. I wish to God the Pope would resign and set in motion reforms that might allow the RCC faithful to feel comfy staying....but selfishness seems to be next to arrogance as a sin among RCC clergy.

CNN is running a two part special on the Pope, what did he know and when, tonight and tomorrow. I encourage folks to watch...I don't think many will conclude the RCC is "just like" any other religion.

In some parts of the world some people cannot leave or change there religion

Forum List

Back