Great News! Just Wait Until You are Sick to Buy Health Insurance!!!

So are you denying that many do not buy insurance, especially the younger 20-30 generation becuase they believe they are not going to get sick and they prefer not spending the money?

How many times a year does your average healthy 25 year old go to the doctor? How many times a year MUST they see a doctor?

Yeah...that is what I am saying......people will gamble. They do it now....and in no way will the CHANCE of getting caught and having to pay 1K sway them into paying 7K a year for something they dont truly think they will need.

HOw many newlywed 25 year olds spend the 2K a year for a 500K term life insurance policy?

I bet it is less than 10%.

People will game the game and it is naive to think they will not.

why would someone at 25, making only a modest salary, turn down FREE health insurance or nearly free health insurance? the affordability credits to buy insurance in varying amounts will be there to subsidize their insurance if the bill is what they say it is?

Point well made.

So lets look at 35.....making 100K.....7K is a nice chunk.....worth waiting until it is needed is not a bad idea.....

People game the game....happens all the time......for this to be done right, we need a single payer system or a public opotion. I do not want either, but I want HCR for those with pre-exisiting conditions....and the only way that will work is if we get rid of the insurance industry...not happy about it...but pre-exisiting condition issues have to come before what I lkike and dont like.

Every once in awhile there is a breakthrough.

Im glad to see you do have a heart and that your mind is not completely closed to the facts.

also, WHY would someone with a preexisting condition of high blood pressure, hypertension, asthma, heart disease, etc, NOT BUY in to a health insurance plan....the whole point is that they could NOT buy in to a health insurance plan with their preexisting conditions because they were priced out of it...or denied coverage altogether by insurance companies?

BOTH THE REPUBLICANS and the democrats AGREE to this measure....so why argue over it? they both agree to covering preexisting conditions.

The real point is this. When an insurance company MUST take on someone with pre-existing conditions, the basic rik management formula will dictate much higher premiums.

Most Americans can not afford much higher premiums.....so a governent run plan is a must as the government can handle losing money per insured...with tax payer money, yes...but I am OK with that. It is my country....If I will make a living off the people of my country, the least I can do is make sure they stay healthy.

Afterall, only a funeral director makes money off of the dead! ::lol::lol:

why would someone at 25, making only a modest salary, turn down FREE health insurance or nearly free health insurance? the affordability credits to buy insurance in varying amounts will be there to subsidize their insurance if the bill is what they say it is?

Point well made.

So lets look at 35.....making 100K.....7K is a nice chunk.....worth waiting until it is needed is not a bad idea.....

People game the game....happens all the time......for this to be done right, we need a single payer system or a public opotion. I do not want either, but I want HCR for those with pre-exisiting conditions....and the only way that will work is if we get rid of the insurance industry...not happy about it...but pre-exisiting condition issues have to come before what I lkike and dont like.

Every once in awhile there is a breakthrough.

Im glad to see you do have a heart and that your mind is not completely closed to the facts.

No breakthrough here TM. I do not agree with your approach nor do I agree with your reasoning.

I came to my conclusion by looking at facts and reality.

When we eliminate pre-existing condition clauses...which is a must.....premiums will skyrocket. It is a no brainer.

So we need a bottomless pit for an insurance company...and that will be the government.

And maybe...just maybe...if that is how Obama presented it, he would have had more support.

But he is out there saying "cheaper" and "no new taxes" and "lower the deficit" and "lower the debt".....

Say what makes sense and even stubborn conservatives like myself will be on board.

Why Are Insurance Industry Profits So High?

According to insurance industry analysts, insurance companies have increased their profits in three ways:

•Increased premiums. Insurance companies have increased their premiums across the board. The III reported that profits in the property-casualty lines have increased by an annual average of 46% since 1994.
•Paying fewer claims. Insurance companies have also decreased the amount of paid claims. Again, across the board. The III reported that property-casualty insurers paid out 64% of the premiums they received on claims in 1994. In 2006, that number dropped to 55%.
•Jumping ship. After a significant loss, insurance companies often jump ship. For example, many insurers will no longer insure homeowners in the southern states ravaged by Hurricane Katrina because of the significant losses they realized. Simply eliminating a book of business in these areas, while certainly their right, often leaves homeowners scrambling to find alternatives.

And just so you know TM...my sympathy is not for those that lie on their insurance forms about NOT having pre-exisiting conditions....

My sympathy is for the 23 year old that survived lukemia when he was 8...and now at 23 must be forced off his parents insurance plan...and can not get insurance becuase he survived lukemia.

THAT is why we need a public option run by the government.

THAT came to light a week ago when someone asked me the simple question of

"what do we do with the 23 year old who survived lukemia as a child but now has to get his own insurance"

Maybe THAT is what Obama should be asking the American people...instead of his crap about saving money.

Why Are Insurance Industry Profits So High?

According to insurance industry analysts, insurance companies have increased their profits in three ways:

•Increased premiums. Insurance companies have increased their premiums across the board. The III reported that profits in the property-casualty lines have increased by an annual average of 46% since 1994.
•Paying fewer claims. Insurance companies have also decreased the amount of paid claims. Again, across the board. The III reported that property-casualty insurers paid out 64% of the premiums they received on claims in 1994. In 2006, that number dropped to 55%.
•Jumping ship. After a significant loss, insurance companies often jump ship. For example, many insurers will no longer insure homeowners in the southern states ravaged by Hurricane Katrina because of the significant losses they realized. Simply eliminating a book of business in these areas, while certainly their right, often leaves homeowners scrambling to find alternatives.

Advice TM....

DO not discuss proifits in dollars. It is meaningless.

Discuss profits in ROI...

To Invest 10 dollars to make a 5 dollar profit is not the same as investing 1000 dollars to make a 5 dollar profit....but the profit is the same.

Insurance companies invest a lot of money for those profits...and their profits are usually about 4% a year.

Pencil manufactuirers make better profits.

And just so you know TM...my sympathy is not for those that lie on their insurance forms about NOT having pre-exisiting conditions....

My sympathy is for the 23 year old that survived lukemia when he was 8...and now at 23 must be forced off his parents insurance plan...and can not get insurance becuase he survived lukemia.

"what do we do with the 23 year old who survived lukemia as a child but now has to get his own insurance"

Maybe THAT is what Obama should be asking the American people...instead of his crap about saving money.

he has done both because both are true.

You are the one who has been embracing lies.

I have been the one giving you facts.

You can hate me all you want as long as you do not spread lies and or try to insist I not respond with facts in the face of lies.

I have tried nice and was not treated any better by the right.

This is what Obama just learned.

and before you wast your time trying to find out what sort of system germany has............it's a hybrid system.

Minor problem smart guy. You are presuming (unwittingly or otherwise) that wait time is a function of cost.

Well then I must be the only person left around here with an ounce of integrity. You can call me a liar if you like all you want you it would seem rather coincidental that your hypothetical so closely mirrors my reality.

I am the 8 year old that had leukemia and his now in his twenties. Okay I was 5, but you get the picture. I am now 29 and if you have been around these boards at all you know my opinion about this piece of shit legiislation. I truly frown on people who morals change with their circumstances. What kind of person would that make me if I were healthy as an ox and never a major medical issue, championing deregulation and free market solutions to these issues then getting sick and saying 'oh, well now it's okay if someone else foots the bill'? Me having a pre-existing condition doesn't give me the right to screw over an insurance company anymore than you it would moral to purchase home owners insurance and expect coverage AFTER your house is on fire? It is true what they say; circumstances don't make you who are, they reveal who you are.

I understand it's easy to look at someone like me and say well that sucks for him and dammit government has to make it right. But you have to look at the big picture. One. government doesn't solve problems well. They are inefficient and they need to redistribute wealth in order to do it. My circumstances may be more difficult then others, but that doesn't give me the right to burden you with my problems. Maybe I am not to blame for having cancer, but you (John Q. Taxpayer) most certainly aren't.

I personally have never had any major issues getting health insurance. Mainly because I have never had any issues remaining employed with companies that have good benefits. I have more medical bills than the avg. person maybe, but there are already free market solutions in place to help defer costs. My company has the ability to set up an FSA's. At the beginning of the year you decide how much money you want to put into an account for medical expenses. This is a pre-tax deduction from your paycheck. Then that amount then gets taken out of my paycheck over the balance of the year. This lowers my tax burden.

The question for me simply is how do get what i would like to see happen (lower health care bills) without sacrificing principles? In the insurance and loan industry the greater the risk you are the more that loan is going to cost in interest or the more premiums are going to be for you. I don't think that is an unfair concept. I dion't think it's unfair for people to be compensated appropriately for the level of risk they incur in insuring you. So some solutions would be to make insurance companies compete nationally and deregulate them so that insurance companies can make more customizable plans.

I don't know exactly how it would look but maybe institute the concept of an FSA on a larger scale. Somehow what needs to happen is individuals need to deal more directly with the actual service providers because right now there is no incentive for them to lower the costs of services. They know the insurance companies have a big pool to draw from and thus no how much they can afford to charge. But the avg. consumer when going and buying any other good or service is generally very cost and quality conscious, but our system is set up such that their is no real incentive to 'shop" for health care so there is no incentive for service providers to lower costs.

I work right next to a guy whose parents both live in Canada. He said it's quite funny what Americans say about Canadian health care. He said his mother broke her hip, and in 4 days, she was in the hospital getting "hip replacement surgery".
While in Texas I know someone who was out of the hospital with their new hip less than four days after they broke it.
So either get the hip replaced the same day and begin recuperating, or wait four days.....

FYI - hips are easy to replace, so they can be handled instantly, unless there is a shortage of care.

Forum List

Back