Great News - Gov. Christ Vetoes Teacher Pay Bill

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Apr 16, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Gov. Crist vetoes teacher tenure bill - St. Petersburg Times

Just got back from Fla. and this was all over the news. As a special education teacher whose high school students are generally reading at the fifth grade level, I am relieved that Gov. Crist and others see how flawed this idea is.

Tenure needs to be tweaked. Pay scales may need to be revamped. But tying salary to test scores is absolutely ridiculous. Why should the 4th grade teacher be penalized because the students had a crappy 3rd grade teacher? Why should high school teachers be penalized for 18 year olds who only come to school twice a week? There's got to be a better way.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Crist at his worst. A stupid decision on his part.

He's going to ensure the children of Florida remain uneducated and unsuccessful.

This affects my nephews.

Great going, Crist. Folding to the pressure of the teacher's union.

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,887
    I'm happy he did this...and so are all the teachers, even the conservative ones. It was a boneheaded idea.

Now if they would only kill the FCAT.

4. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Ravi's all for poor teachers remaining in Florida classrooms simply because they have "tenure".

Ravi doesn't want to reward the GOOD teachers in Florida with increased pay and bonuses?

Ravi doesn't want to measure the performance of Florida students with the FCAT becasue Ravi is afraid these tests will show Florida's teachers are EPIC FAILURES at imparting knowlege and love of learning to Florida's next generation.

Apparently same can be said of Crist.

Way. To. Go. :clap2:

/end sarcasm

5. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you do away with Tenure you'll have to find some other perk to bring teachers into the industry.

I know I get job offers at 1.5x to 2x my current salary as a professor. I love my job, but I love my son more. Without the job security from tenure, I'd have to take those jobs. As it is, I can justify staying in a job I love and am successful at because I know I'll have job security for him.

6. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    From a Carpenter to a Governor... :clap2:

:)

peace...

7. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    That perk you want was in the bill you're applauding Crist for killing....that perk is called MONEY. Cold hard cash. US Currency.

Bonuses based on teacher performance and student achievement.

WHAT? You scared you can't teach well enough to make the cut and EARN those bonuses and financial incentives like those in the REAL world? The rest of us LOSE our jobs if we perform as poorly as our educational system has for the last 40 years.

We get FIRED.

Obviously you're afraid of pay for performance....that's why you cling to Tenure for dear life.

Chickenshit. :funnyface:

8. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Wrong Jen. Unfortunately there are people in this country (and on this board) that would be fine with getting rid of every teacher who makes over $50K a year. Money would be the issue when it came to layoffs - not performance.

And let's just say the teachers who have the most complaints from parents are usually the ones doing their jobs - not the ones who just want to be "popular". If merit raises were based on report cards, what teacher in their right mind would fail a kid? Besides me. lol

Be careful what you wish for. Low salaries, little respect, and intense "test anxiety" are a recipe for disaster. You think it's bad now?

This was a bad, bad law and Crist realized it. Children are not widgets and schools are not factories. If you want accountability - include the students and parents as well.

9. JenyEliza

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    We included BOTH parents and CHILDREN here in GA, but we still have an informal Tenure system that does NOT hold teachers accountable.

In GA:

1. School attendance is mandatory until the age of 16--ANY absences over and above 15 for the entire school year (excused with a doctor's note, or unexcused makes no matter) will find the child AND parents before a Juvenile Court Judge.

Penalties for the CHILD start at formal probation and drug testing, on up to confinement in the youth detention center. Pentalies for the PARENT include jail time and fines up to (IIRC) $5,000 per finding of guilt.

2. A driver's license is graduated and tied to a child's attendance and grades. Don't go to school under the age of 18? You don't drive. Miss more than 15 days, you don't drive.

I have been through the attendance process in Juvenile Court recently (my son had Swine Flu, was hospitalized and missed more than 15 days last fall). I can tell you they DO NOT give a shit....especially the guy who looked over his shoulder while they pee tested my innocent 15 year old. The probation officer we met with was only slightly nicer.

The ONLY reason I did not get jail time and a huge fine was I had DOCUMENTATION with me to prove that he was not skipping, but VERY SICK and that was why he has missed time this year.

What more accountability should we add here? :eusa_think:

10. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    That's unfortunate for your son, but I'm glad GA is taking it seriously. Here in NJ, we allow HS students 18 days "unexcused" and practically unlimited "excused". We allow students to "make up time" on Saturdays and after school - with no instruction of course. Imagine the cost of that? And students that are missing 40+ days of high school have probably been accustomed to doing that since grade school. The teachers are forced to pass them along because it's "cruel" to keep a 10 year old in the 2nd grade.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/opinion/02levy-1.html

Should the Florida teachers be held accountable for those 15%? Should the Florida teachers keep that 10 year old in 2nd grade indefinitely? Should the Florida teachers recommend "special education" for every child who doesn't study or do his homework and therefore has bad grades?

Tenure is more important than ever today. With the economy in the crapper, everyone envies the job security and teachers have become public enemy #1. (well maybe #2 - people still hate lawyers more). But as I said on another thread - give it a try. You'll either love it or hate it - but you will be convinced that teachers in general are definitely NOT overpaid.

Oh and I'm with Dr. Traveler. I took a huge cut in pay to go into public service. Just for the benefits and job security. Choices...