Great Movie for Memorial Day

The Deer Hunter is one of my favorite movies, but not because it's a war movie....I just like the complexities of the characters and their relationships.

Doctor Zhivago

I was told by a friend whose father was in the Polish Army that it was really like that in Europe.

For modern times? I like Clint Eastwood's movie "Heartbreak Ridge".

For WWII movies? Kelly's Heros.
The only Eastwood movie I didn't see. Have give a try.

I gotta tell you........it's funny as shit in some places. He's a Marine Gunny who ends up getting stationed leading a bunch of fuck ups, and turning them into real Marines.

Probably one of the best movies ever.
I love Eastwood. Have to see it.

That movie was a retarded piece of crap. :cuckoo:
With 6 academic award nominations and 2 wins including best picture it was one of the highest grossing films of the year. Apocalypse Now was not a typical war film but Viet Nam was not a typical war. I see reasons where some would hate it, some would love it, and others would find it confusing.

I'm a Vietnam vet.

I don't care if one 50 awardsu

It was just nonsense produced by hollywood liberal retards.

It should not even be classified as a war movie.. :cuckoo:
In the seventies and even today, people do not want to see a realist movie about Viet Nam. They have already seen more than they want to see on TV. Battle scene were put on TV right at dinner time. Families could wonder weather they would see their son or or husband carted away on a stretcher. And of course we had Dan Rather showing the death and destruction in native villages. No, America had seen enough about Viet Nam, which why Apocalypse Now is stylize work of fiction.

As I recall Full Metal Jacket was reported to be one of the more realist Viet Nam war movies.

With 6 academic award nominations and 2 wins including best picture it was one of the highest grossing films of the year. Apocalypse Now was not a typical war film but Viet Nam was not a typical war. I see reasons where some would hate it, some would love it, and others would find it confusing.

I'm a Vietnam vet.

I don't care if one 50 awardsu

It was just nonsense produced by hollywood liberal retards.

It should not even be classified as a war movie.. :cuckoo:
In the seventies and even today, people do not want to see a realist movie about Viet Nam. They have already seen more than they want to see on TV. Battle scene were put on TV right at dinner time. Families could wonder weather they would see their son or or husband carted away on a stretcher. And of course we had Dan Rather showing the death and destruction in native villages. No, America had seen enough about Viet Nam, which why Apocalypse Now is stylize work of fiction.

As I recall Full Metal Jacket was reported to be one of the more realist Viet Nam war movies.

I would pick "We Were Soldiers". It is about an actual battle and told by the people who were there.

and not one soldier smoking pot or shooting up!!!

Yes, I recall that movie. It was about one of the early battles of the war. Think it starred Mel Gibson. Good Movie.

Another interesting movie, I saw last night on TCM was "Best Years of Our Lives". It was about returning home from war, addressing the problems that most all servicemen face. It's worth seeing just for the performance of Harold Russell, a WWII vet who lost both his hands in the war. He was a non-professional actor who won two academic awards for the same performance. He gave a great performance and lead an admirable life. Harold Russell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back