Great Movie for Memorial Day

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
I was discussing movies with a friend and he asked what do think are the best movies to watch on Memorial Day. We both decided on WWII movies. Yeah, they are filled with propaganda and overacting but they show America at it's best. My picks are:

Battleground - story of 101st Airborne in the Battle of the Budge - great action, good script, and good acting.

12 O'Clock High - About US Army Air Corp bombing missions in Europe. Peck was very good.

Destination Tokyo - Great adventure story about a US sub in the Pacific. Cary Grant showed he do a lot more than comedy.

Since You Went Away- Not a single battle scene, it's about life on the home front, a family and how war effected them. A great movie, rather sentimental and a bit long, but still a great movie.

What's your pick?

"Gettysburg"​

Sorry there's no love story, only accurate battle scenes, and terrific dialogue.

There were almost as many casualties in the 3 day battle of Gettysburg then there were American deaths in the entire Vietnam war.

Lieutenant General James Longstreet: Sir with your permission... Sir, I've been a soldier all my life. I've fought from the ranks on up, you know my service. But sir, I must tell you now, I believe this attack will fail. No 15,000 men ever made could take that ridge. It's a distance of more than a mile, over open ground. When the men come out of the trees, they will be under fire from Yankee artillery from all over the field. And those are Hancock's boys! And now, they have the stone wall like we did at Fredericksburg.

General Robert E. Lee: We do our duty, general. We do what we must do.

Lieutenant General James Longstreet: [resignedly] Yes, sir.

Last edited:
The Great Escape and Good Morning Vietnam (even though it doesn't fit your criteria).
I think Good Morning Vietnam was Robin Williams best movie.

Also

Apocalypse Now - Love the beech scene with Robert Duvall. Surfing the river during a battle with Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries planning in the background captured the utter insanity of the time.

[

Apocalypse Now - Love the beech scene with Robert Duvall. Surfing the river during a battle with Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries planning in the background captured the utter insanity of the time.

That movie was a retarded piece of crap. :cuckoo:
With 6 academic award nominations and 2 wins including best picture it was one of the highest grossing films of the year. Apocalypse Now was not a typical war film but Viet Nam was not a typical war. I see reasons where some would hate it, some would love it, and others would find it confusing.

For modern times? I like Clint Eastwood's movie "Heartbreak Ridge".

For WWII movies? Kelly's Heros.
The only Eastwood movie I didn't see. Have give a try.

I gotta tell you........it's funny as shit in some places. He's a Marine Gunny who ends up getting stationed leading a bunch of fuck ups, and turning them into real Marines.

Probably one of the best movies ever.

[

With 6 academic award nominations and 2 wins including best picture it was one of the highest grossing films of the year. Apocalypse Now was not a typical war film but Viet Nam was not a typical war. I see reasons where some would hate it, some would love it, and others would find it confusing.

I'm a Vietnam vet.

I don't care if one 50 awardsu

It was just nonsense produced by hollywood liberal retards.

It should not even be classified as a war movie.. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
"When Trumpets Fade" A GI just trying to survive the war. Probably the most realistic than most veterans care to admit.

I'm a Vietnam vet.

I don't care if one 50 awardsu

It was just nonsense produced by hollywood liberal retards.

It should not even be classified as a war movie.. :cuckoo:

I heard there were no decent movies made about the Vietnam War. Just people putting personal grudges on film.

Forum List

Back