GREAT GATSBY Trailer

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Um no. Make that Hell no.

Baz Luhrmann? Boo hiss. What, Tim Burton was unavailable? Quentin Tarantino not making movies anymore? :lol: Seriously, one must become quite creative to imagine a worse choice for Gatsby than Luhrmann.

The Great Gatsby is THE American novel. The final argument, the trump card in the great "the book was so much better than the movie" debate. No one has touched this great novel's mood or character in a century and this rendition looks worse than all the rest.

Just look at the cast for cripes sake. Are you kidding me? Leonardo DiCaprio will be worse as Gatsby than he was as Romeo and by the Gods he sucked as Romeo. And Toby McSpiderman... really? Frak! I've known this film was coming for all of ten minutes and I've gone from excited to horrified in that brief time span.

See for yourself:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARN6agiW7o]GREAT GATSBY Trailer (2012) Movie HD - YouTube[/ame]

Now. If you haven't already, go read the book.

Great book. I do plan on watching this movie. I only hope they don't ruin it with shitty contemporary music (though, I do love that U2 song in the trailer -- not sure who's covering it).

Great book. I do plan on watching this movie. I only hope they don't ruin it with shitty contemporary music (though, I do love that U2 song in the trailer -- not sure who's covering it).

I like both songs from the preview. I even typically like director Luhrmann's style and visual experience. I just think it's a huge miss for The Great Gatsby. It's crazy and I think, along with the terrible casting choices, it does a great disservice to the book. It's like having Wes Anderson direct Kung Fu Hustle or Quentin Tarantino direct When Harry Met Sally. I hope I'm wrong but it feels like a spiritual kick in the gut to me.

F. Scott Fitzgerald deserves better than what the preview portends.

Forum List

Back