Great Depression Pattern Repeating

The gulf oil spill was like our Dust Bowl.

How many jobs and small businesses were killed in the Dust bowl which agrivated the GD?

This oil spill has done the same to this recovery.

did you learn history from a fortune cookie?

the dust bowl was far, far worse than the oil spill...

News Headlines

This should be making a LOT of people very very nervous, and it's about right on schedule. I feel like the rollercoaster just got over that hump before the drop and 'buzzed' off the lift chain. If it's going to happen, we're probably talking weeks now, not months. Possibly even days.

Then the world changes.

:eek::eusa_pray::eek:

I've been saying that for years but now a newspaper says it they believe? Guess I'm just an idiot.

I'm inclined to believe we are more like October 1987 than October 1932. I'm no economist, but I certainly do NOT believe the BP Gulf Oil Spill is equivalent to the Dust Bowl. The DB wasn't a few months long event. It dragged out years and years....and it nearly destroyed this country agriculturally and economically.

The BP event will cetainly take years of recovery time, but the largest part of the damage has been contained in just a few short months, rather than years. Also, the BP event was MAN MADE, *not* a natural disaster like the DB.

Yeah, I'm thinking October 1987, and I am someone who has been severely impacted by both natural disaster (Atlanta floods 2009) and job elimination (man made 2009). So there ya have it....I have every reason to hope, pray and believe that these life-destroying events are over and we're on the way back up, but I don't see it just yet.

I do believe there is much more pain to come, as it hasn't really been spread far and wide just yet. Look at the Washington DC/NOVA area. No pain there to speak of. Yet.

Hell, we don't even have a misery index yet like we did in the Carter years. When THAT happens, I'll start looking for "recovery" around the corner.

Last edited:
AgainSheila, this is why they often rightfully say that local and county governments are the most corrupt. Little corrupt people doing deals that benefit them most.

I don't think there's a pattern to depressions.

It's a preposterous notion that our economy is the same as it was in 1932.

Again, economic isn't chemistry.

It's not physics.

It doesn't work the way some of you imagine it does.

There's too many random elements to think that one can apply the same rules to every occassion and get the same results.

That's like thinking one only needs to apply the gas pedal to your car and always turn left to avoid accidents and get where you're going.

Is this really that difficult to understand?

Oh economics is a science all right even if it does have a sociological aspect to it. Just because we don't understand all the random elements of how economics truly works doesn't mean they are not there. This is why your computer models fail frequently. Because they were assembled in a vacuum and not taking all the variables into effect. Otherwise they would reflect accurately.

I think more liberals would receive a better education on basic economics by being forced to play Railroad tycoon than what they are learning in High School and college, if any.

Not even close. Oil stopped flowing, 10 days later the slicks are all but gone. The marshes will be the hardest hit but will be back in 10 years tops. More like 5... which is long compared to the weeks to months it will take to be clean in the ocean.

The real damage to the oil industry has all come at the hands of the federal government by the moritorium driving jobs away. Guarantee you that Obama has lost every oil producing and gulf coast states.

<><><>

It's interesting, for weeks we've been teetering on the edge, yet we haven't slid over. This is a good thing on one hand, because people who can, are still able to prepare for the economic collapse that is to come. On the other hand, what is being done to keep it from happening. You can't reasonably say that nothing is being done, because we're like a duck right now, calm and cool on the surface to calm the others, but underneath, our legs are scrabbling like crazy.

So why haven't we fallen yet I wonder? What variables have been missed?

Documentation, please, that the oil slicks are almost all gone.

This is what I mean about the reactionaries. They post an assertion as if it were a fact.

Proof, please, from a reputable source, Fizz, or just continue to be a buffoon.

How many jobs and small businesses were killed in the Dust bowl which agrivated the GD?

This oil spill has done the same to this recovery.

did you learn history from a fortune cookie?

the dust bowl was far, far worse than the oil spill...

Go get your numbers and lets compare the job loss

Yurt will make an assertion, truthmatters, but he will not support it. That is what the reactionaries of the far right do. They follow the Limbaugh Rules of deceit. Watch him now weasel.

I'm inclined to believe we are more like October 1987 than October 1932. I'm no economist, but I certainly do NOT believe the BP Gulf Oil Spill is equivalent to the Dust Bowl. The DB wasn't a few months long event. It dragged out years and years....and it nearly destroyed this country agriculturally and economically.

The BP event will cetainly take years of recovery time, but the largest part of the damage has been contained in just a few short months, rather than years. Also, the BP event was MAN MADE, *not* a natural disaster like the DB.

Yeah, I'm thinking October 1987, and I am someone who has been severely impacted by both natural disaster (Atlanta floods 2009) and job elimination (man made 2009). So there ya have it....I have every reason to hope, pray and believe that these life-destroying events are over and we're on the way back up, but I don't see it just yet.

I do believe there is much more pain to come, as it hasn't really been spread far and wide just yet. Look at the Washington DC/NOVA area. No pain there to speak of. Yet.

Hell, we don't even have a misery index yet like we did in the Carter years. When THAT happens, I'll start looking for "recovery" around the corner.

Dust Bowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6 years.

The oil spill will effect this country for more than 6 years.

Doubt it. But the employment devastation is still 98% government caused. Tourist industry will be rebounded by Christmas, assuming the economy doesn't fail thanks to the utter incompetence of Little Timmy Geithner and Co.

Fizzle write "employment devastation is still 98% government caused." What a stupid comment. Pulls it out of his ass, not attribution, no nothing, as well as Fizzle "thinks" the BP spill will not last more than six years.

STFU if you can't answer questions honestly and decently.

No wonder the Far Right is in trouble with folks like you defending it..

Doubt it. But the employment devastation is still 98% government caused. Tourist industry will be rebounded by Christmas, assuming the economy doesn't fail thanks to the utter incompetence of Little Timmy Geithner and Co.

Tell us the facts behind your assumption

Fizzle has no "facts", just big hole in his butt that dumps out stupid assertions.

Get him some waste paper, please.

Tell us the facts behind your assumption
You're the one saying that this is the dustbowl. Find somewhere where an oilspill caused more than a 1-2 year damage to jobs or tourism.

The Dust Bowl was a crisis that lasted from continually used farming techniques, combined with the hottest dryest years on record in the 1930's. The techniques were not changed, and destroyed the soil the entire time, causign the problem to continue. The oil spill has ended, even faster than the mexican Ixtoc 1 oilspill in the 1979. Oh, haven't heard of that one?

Spill in 1979 was bigger � but not necessarily worse | Deepwater Horizon | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

They do an attempt to make this politically less detrimental to the govt today, but... I love some bits out of there.

The ill-fated well, drilled in the Bay of Campeche near Mexico, blew out in 1979 and poured oil into the Gulf for 295 days. Before it was capped, the well pumped out about 140 million gallons of crude, more than 3 million barrels.

Even so, the mega-spill is remembered more for its damage to tourism and for the comment by Clements, who owned the company that furnished the rig, than for its environmental effects.

Michel, a geochemist who helped in the Texas cleanup of the Ixtoc spill, said the oil-smeared areas appeared to rebound within months.

Nature also lent an unexpected hand with some heavy storms that washed away most of the remaining oil.

�The impact was short-lived,� Michel said.

So, no. This is not the dust bowl. They are completely dissimilar and the moritorium stands to be the longest lasting damage causing effect because it sabotages the American Energy sector BY DESIGN of this progressofascist administration.

Last edited:
Fizzle actually trots out facts. Uses them poorly and inaccurately but at least trots them out.

Good for Fizzle.

They both caused massive job loss.

The job numbers have been effected by this job loss just like the GD job numbers were effected.

New Topics

Forum List

Back