Great Danes

I'm a GSD fan. Have had them all my life

My last PB was Andy. He was all German Working lines and his temperament was rock solid. Kids and adults were safe with the big guy but God help anyone who threatened me. He was ready to rock and roll.

I did everything from Obedience, Shutzhund to Herding with Andy. He was one grand dog and I miss him deeply.

INHO if you get a good German Shepherd you've got the best damned dog on the planet.

My daughter in law's family has always had Great Danes.

I was never a Saint Bernard person, I just fell in love with my baby at a baseball game and ended up paying for and going home with him that night. Well, actually, we didn't go straight home, we were on a trip to my sister's and my mom's, so our first experience with him was in the car for hours, and then at strangers' houses! But he did great and he's my darling trooper.

He has allergies, though, and I HATE dealing with allergies. His ears get all inflamed and itchy and I know it's miserable and we're always messing with medications/topicals/various and assorted stuff. What a flipping nightmare.

But it could be much, much worse. He seems to have a good ticker and good hips; his parents didn't have any health problems..except allergies/ear stuff.

My sweet pups! : )

Attachments

• $048.jpg
    $048.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 81
Our mini polar bear is a Sammie that just kept growing and growing and...

Great Danes are super cool dogs. My boss has one and I love seeing them at the dog park.

I love your Saint Bernard, Koshergrl. He looks like a great cuddler.

I love big dogs. I want a Mastiff. It's unfortunate that the bigger the breed is usually means she shorter their life span.

Great Danes are super cool dogs. My boss has one and I love seeing them at the dog park.

I love your Saint Bernard, Koshergrl. He looks like a great cuddler.

I love big dogs. I want a Mastiff. It's unfortunate that the bigger the breed is usually means she shorter their life span.
Any dog over 100 lbs, you start looking at a life span of 8 to 12 years on average.

My Daisy, we got her when she was 5, had her for 5 years. She'd had a rough life before that though and started going a little senile and her arthritis was limiting her ability to do life.

the life span thing breaks my heart. My pup is 18 months now, and still a puppy. I figure in about a year or so he'll be completely "broke in"...then we'll just have a few years!

i usually like to get grown dogs for just that reason...rescues who already have a formed personality and a certain set of skills. But I fell in love with him. I'm blessed that he's very healthy so far. I don't think he has hip issues in his future; neither of his parents do so far (they are about 4 years old now). but i'm cognizant of the fact that we'll probably have the terrier much longer than we'll have him.

Forum List

Back