Great Britain fines free speech during Olympics

When, however, you begin to consider the possible range of expression --including, say, hate speech that incites violence -- it becomes apparent thateven a tolerant society has to put some limits on freedom of expression.Therefore, much of the law relating to free speech is concerned with trying to strike the right balance between freedom of expression and the use (or abuse) of that freedom in a way that harms society.

Hate speech that incites violence...would that include someone stating that Islam condones violence? Or, that Christianity is an oppressive religion? Or even that "the Virgin Mary was actually a whore?"

Is the quoted text "newspeak" for: It's cool for government to squash politically, religiously, and racially unpopular views in the guise of protecting us?

Yeah, fuck that. That kind of protection I do not need.

Despite all the histrionics, it's simply the kind of protection where specifically you can't go the Olympics and act like an asshat in the crowd without being removed and fined. The creep's still free to go about his life as an asshat and you could always join him at the asshat club and give him a high five for freedom. :thup:

Why do you Hate Rights?...

:)

peace...

I suppose not being able to rank on black people in public feels particularly oppressive to manifail, as of course whipping it out had never even occurred to him since it would probably expose his pubes as longer than his puny pecker...
I just wish he was brave enough to make ape noises and throw around Hitler salutes at the next football game he attends. :lol:

you are only really free if you can be an ass without consequences.

What a great campaign slogan!

Forum List

Back