Great Article on the state of the federal government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by iamwhatiseem, Aug 20, 2012.

1. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    Once again real news never makes it to our ears - what we do get is a week long story about yet another Biden gaffe - or a two week long story about Romney's tax returns.

Meanwhile:

2. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,702
    It's almost as if the whole Congress and the Post Office is in a fit of denial until it is too late. A couple of years ago, I wrote to the Postmaster General suggesting a cost savings strategy for stamps. I suggested offering businesses to advertise on stamps, thereby paying for stamp production and possibly opening up another avenue of stamp collectors to purchase stamps that are nowdays dwindling through the use of e-mails. (I know, too much time on my hands)

Surprisingly enough, I received a response from the Postmaster General himself, explaining that historical events are interpreted on stamps and although my idea was good, it did not fit in with the idea of the historical perspective of the department.

It was impressive that I was able to receive such a response, but thought it was limited in the imagination of those in charge of the importance of keeping the viability of the US Postal Service alive in the meager position it found itself in. What other strategies were they not considering because of their own perpective to keep the status quo?

3. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    As part of my responsibility when I was a production manager in a commercial web printer was doing daily direct mail orders.
    I have been in the production areas of at least a dozen larger P.O.'s including SCF facilities and two BMC facilities.
    Number one is they are uber overly staffed in administration and clerical positions.
    Secondly - the red tape and redundant regulations they put mailers through to comply with standards is asinine, and requires the Post Office to have an army of Bulk Mail positions to check mail to be sure it meets requirements...even though a vast majority of the rules and requirements are unnecessary and do not affect the speed of mail processing one iota.
    Third - too many post offices. Bar none...waaay too many offices.
    Forth - Mail carriers routes are too small in many smaller communities. It is very common for carriers to only have 250-300 houses to deliver...meanwhile newspaper carriers have routes of about the same size and deliver them in 3-4 hours.
    I could go on and on.

4. LibertyForAll

LibertyForAll Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I like that idea and if they are unwilling to adapt they deserve to fail. This is the problem with government subsidation, they don't feel like they have to compete because they can fail and still get funding.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    A bump