Greastest Metal Bands/artists of all time

Eh? Show me one list where Iommi is even in the top 3, much less labeled the "king" of metal guitar. Practically nobody even remembers he exists...

Dis.....do you know what are talking about?......i have just got through looking at handful of list so i could post the one i posted in the 100 greatest guitar list......and lo and behold this "FORGOTTEN" guitar player was in the top 30 of EVERY list.....people who know ROCK GUITAR,know who Tommy Iommi is......

Top 30, you schmutz. Not top 3, which would have him at least close to the proclaimed "King" status. Not top 10, or even top 20, which *most* "top" lists are comprised of. Greatest 100 is like saying "Well, you didn't make the top 20 list, but we feel bad for leaving you out, so we'll keep going."

Indicently, nobody stated they didn't know who he is. I know who Rick Astley (SP?) is, and I wouldn't put him on any top 10, or top 20 list for anything (except maybe biggest schmuck). But I bet you know who he is, too, and can find a place for him in a top 100 list...

I also never said he wasn't any good.. I said there's better. If you can dispute that, you're just here to argue, and should probably get some air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh? Show me one list where Iommi is even in the top 3, much less labeled the "king" of metal guitar. Practically nobody even remembers he exists...

Dis.....do you know what are talking about?......i have just got through looking at handful of list so i could post the one i posted in the 100 greatest guitar list......and lo and behold this "FORGOTTEN" guitar player was in the top 30 of EVERY list.....people who know ROCK GUITAR,know who Tommy Iommi is......

Is he related to Tony? :eusa_whistle:

OOPS....:redface:

Top 30, you schmutz. Not top 3, which would have him at least close to the proclaimed "King" status. Not top 10, or even top 20, which *most* "top" lists are comprised of. Greatest 100 is like saying "Well, you didn't make the top 20 list, but we feel bad for leaving you out, so we'll keep going."

Indicently, nobody stated they didn't know who he is. I know who Rick Astley (SP?) is, and I wouldn't put him on any top 10, or top 20 list for anything (except maybe biggest schmuck). But I bet you know who he is, too, and can find a place for him in a top 100 list...

I also never said he wasn't any good.. I said there's better. If you can dispute that, you're just here to argue, and should probably get some air.

Hey Moron....your the one who stated...".Practically nobody even remembers he exists"..

and then...."Incidentally, nobody stated they didn't know who he is.".....your contradicting yourself here toots......YOU made the statement.....

oh and check this out.....

100 Greatest Metal Guitarists

Last edited:
Guitar World is one of the most reputable and respected guitar publications on the planet....

“Guitar World’s” top metal guitarists of all time.

1. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
2. Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield (Metallica)
3. Angus & Malcolm Young (AC/DC)
4. Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne)
5. Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
6. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
7. Dimebag Darrell (Pantera, Damageplan)
8. Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society)
9. Adam Jones (Tool)
10. Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)

Top Metal Guitarists | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Alexi Laiho - children o f Bodom, :cool:
Lauri Ylonen - the Rasmus,
timo Kotipelto - Kotipelto,
Jukka Tanskanen - Ripsipiirakka,
Ville Valo - H.I.M.,

Guitar World is one of the most reputable and respected guitar publications on the planet....

9. Adam Jones (Tool)

well there is 2 reputable lists.....she asked for "just 1".....there you have it.....next time Dis know what you are talking about before you insert your foot....

9. Adam Jones (Tool)

You found a list where he comes it in #1 5 years ago. I found a list where he comes in at #86 (Rolling Stone Magazine). What's your point? Depends on who puts together the list. Or are you going to say you polls can't be skewed toward a certain outcome?

He's still hardly "king" material. What's he doing now, besides trying like hell to hold on to his youth by trying to recreate Black Sabbath?

Hey Moron....your the one who stated...".Practically nobody even remembers he exists"..

and then...."Incidentally, nobody stated they didn't know who he is.".....your contradicting yourself here toots......YOU made the statement.....

oh and check this out.....

100 Greatest Metal Guitarists

Seriously? Diid you read that list? George Lynch from Dokken is the 17th best guitariest ever?

LMAO.

That's about all your "find" is worth.

9. Adam Jones (Tool)

Jimmy Page? Zeppelin is no more metal than Tull.

9. Adam Jones (Tool)

You found a list where he comes it in #1 5 years ago. I found a list where he comes in at #86 (Rolling Stone Magazine). What's your point? Depends on who puts together the list. Or are you going to say you polls can't be skewed toward a certain outcome?

He's still hardly "king" material. What's he doing now, besides trying like hell to hold on to his youth by trying to recreate Black Sabbath?
Rolling Stones was the top 100 GUITAR players Einstein,we are talking Metal....you do know the difference right?.....and Rolling Stone is behind the biggest joke in music....the so called Rock n Roll hall of fame.....that says enough about their credibility....no thanks ill stick with the other polls.......and also dipshit,like none of the other people on that RS list are not doing the same thing Iommi is doing........ go back home and play with your fucking Barbie dolls Dis your ignorance is showing...leave Metal to those who know it

9. Adam Jones (Tool)

Rolling Stones was the top 100 GUITAR players Einstein,we are talking Metal....you do know the difference right?.....and Rolling Stone is behind the biggest joke in music....the so called Rock n Roll hall of fame.....that says enough about their credibility....no thanks ill stick with the other polls.......and also dipshit,like none of the other people on that RS list are not doing the same thing Iommi is doing........ go back home and play with your fucking Barbie dolls Dis your ignorance is showing...leave Metal to those who know it

Hate to break it to you, but Van Halen is hardly metal, and neither is Jimmy Page.

WTF are they doing on a list of top METAL guitarists?

Hate to break it to you, but Van Halen is hardly metal, and neither is Jimmy Page.

why dont you ask Guitar World Mag......and one more thing ....you said the list i had was a couple of years old....2008 is old?....the RS list is from 2003....

Last edited:

well, since I played guitar in amateur metal bands, and I know a lot of guitarists, this is a pretty easy question to answer.

Metal heads, and metal guitarists in particular, pay homage to jimmy page and eddie van halen. Even though they might be considered "hard rocK' and not metal, they still are considered influential to a massive degree in the world of metal.

there's not a metal band on the planet that doesn't pay homage to Page and Zep.

I think guitar world magazine knows this, probably better than you or me, and lumped in page and van halen with the metal bands

Forum List

Back