Gravity

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I was surprised to see the movie Gravity had a 98 percent critic approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I do not recall ever seeing any move receive a grade that high. The audience rated it 90 percent.

It is hard to ignore those numbers.

With that in mind, I decided to go to the movies. Something I don't do often any more. And since we are looking at a 98 percent score, I decided to do the full immersion and went to the IMAX 3D version of Gravity.

Worth every penny.

While working on the Hubble telescope from the space shuttle, a disaster in space occurs, marooning the crew in space. Not in a vehicle. In nothing more than their space suits.

The film centers on the medical scientist character played by Sandra Bullock with a strong supporting role played by George Clooney as the superstud astronaut who is an old hand at space travel.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but this movie took five years to make, and it shows. Very well done. In IMAX 3D, I felt like I was in space with them.

Sandra Bullock did some really fine acting, and the film flows from one problem-solving crisis to the next very smoothly. You find yourself tensing up frequently, which makes time telescope the 90 minutes into feeling more like several hours.

Don't miss it.

The movie was preceded by 25 minutes of previews, which is beyond outrageous. In fact, they showed one preview twice! Captain Phillips. The previews were basically 25 minutes of explosions and video game screen captures, which is why I rarely go to movies any more. There is no longer any imagination in them.

Which makes Gravity even more exceptional.

It's rated PG-13. The F-bomb is dropped once, which I did not know was allowed in PG-13 movies, but this was one occasion where it was used entirely appropriately in context and not gratuitously.

Last edited:
Have not heard a negative word about this film from those I know that have seen it.
Sounds like a good movie for the next rainy weekend.

I saw it on IMAX 3D as well this weekend. That's the ONLY way to see this movie because it's a waste of 90 minutes otherwise. It's predictable and the story line is anemic. Sandra is stuck in space and needs to get back home. You can already fill in the blanks what happens and how it ends.

Clooney obviously did the film as a favor to Sandra (nothing wrong with that) I don't want to spoil anything, but you will see why.

I give the film a D+ and the 3D/Filming an A+.

Phenomenal film making (technically speaking)

Maybe IMAX helped this movie from a technical standpoint, but we rented it the other night and it pretty much sucked. Story is very, very implausible and acting mediocre. Can't believe it's up for awards. Clooney should go back to shilling for Obama and Bullock looked like she hasn't had a good lay since Jesse James.
They should re-name the movie 'Centrifugal Force' for sucking so many entertainment dollars out of the publics wallets. What a waste of space.

I watched this the other day and didn't like it at all. Definitely didn't see what the hype was about.

Hmm...I saw this last week.
Out of 5 stars, I would give it a 3.5..which is a pretty good movie.
I too did not understand the hype.
It was a good movie, but...nowhere NEAR what it was made out to be. Not even close.

Another one is "12 years a slave".
I saw this Sunday...good movie, but could have been better, and should have been better.
I would rate it about a 3.5 as well.

I purchased the movie "Gravity" from Walmart and brought it home and watched it. Watched every second of it and kept waiting for it to get better. It never did. I honestly think it's one of the worst movies I have ever watched. Lots of hype but a very poor movie. I give it a big thumbs down.

Hmm...I saw this last week.
Out of 5 stars, I would give it a 3.5..which is a pretty good movie.
I too did not understand the hype.
It was a good movie, but...nowhere NEAR what it was made out to be. Not even close.

Another one is "12 years a slave".
I saw this Sunday...good movie, but could have been better, and should have been better.
I would rate it about a 3.5 as well.

Yea, very much agree on 12 years. It could have easily been great, but then again what do I know, I like the Happening.

Also purchased the movie "12 Years a Slave". This movie had the potential of being a really good movie but when all is said and done, I think it's only so-so at best. Not a complete waste of time to watch but close to it.

I was surprised to see the movie Gravity had a 98 percent critic approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I do not recall ever seeing any move receive a grade that high. The audience rated it 90 percent.

It is hard to ignore those numbers.

With that in mind, I decided to go to the movies. Something I don't do often any more. And since we are looking at a 98 percent score, I decided to do the full immersion and went to the IMAX 3D version of Gravity.

Worth every penny.

While working on the Hubble telescope from the space shuttle, a disaster in space occurs, marooning the crew in space. Not in a vehicle. In nothing more than their space suits.

The film centers on the medical scientist character played by Sandra Bullock with a strong supporting role played by George Clooney as the superstud astronaut who is an old hand at space travel.

I don't want to give any spoilers, but this movie took five years to make, and it shows. Very well done. In IMAX 3D, I felt like I was in space with them.

Sandra Bullock did some really fine acting, and the film flows from one problem-solving crisis to the next very smoothly. You find yourself tensing up frequently, which makes time telescope the 90 minutes into feeling more like several hours.

Don't miss it.

The movie was preceded by 25 minutes of previews, which is beyond outrageous. In fact, they showed one preview twice! Captain Phillips. The previews were basically 25 minutes of explosions and video game screen captures, which is why I rarely go to movies any more. There is no longer any imagination in them.

Which makes Gravity even more exceptional.

It's rated PG-13. The F-bomb is dropped once, which I did not know was allowed in PG-13 movies, but this was one occasion where it was used entirely appropriately in context and not gratuitously.

Context matters with profanity. As to 'fuck' think if it's used as referring to the sexual act it makes it 'R' but if used as an exclamation it can be PG-13 (as a movie a long time ago had one exclamation "fuck!" but was Pg-13.

As to the movie itself I liked it. Especially the end...SPOILER ALERT! ...Where Bullock's safe on Earth once again. I really got a 'it's so good to be back on Earth even not knowing where the hell I am' from the visuals.

Forum List

Back