Gravitrons?

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Isnt it true that we still don't know for sure if gravitons exist? It's just the best explanation we have but in reality we don't know what gravity is? Right?

dmp said:
Isnt it true that we still don't know for sure if gravitons exist? It's just the best explanation we have but in reality we don't know what gravity is? Right?

I believe Gravitons exist.

I agree with others who believe they work just like photons.

Just because we can't "see" them doesn't mean they aren't there.

I suspect that gravitons have a spin of two, where as photons have a spin of one.

How nice it would be to actually see this though.

I believe indirect evidence for gravitons,strong enough to be
considered clinching by the experts, has been detected from
astronomical observations.

The big problem with theoretical physics, and it has been a
problem for 80 years, is the incompatibility of the random,
probablistic nature of Quantum Mechanics, and the deterministic
nature of Relativity, which remains the supreme graviational
theory, even though gravitons are a construct of Quantum theory.

USViking said:
I believe indirect evidence for gravitons,strong enough to be
considered clinching by the experts, has been detected from
astronomical observations.

The big problem with theoretical physics, and it has been a
problem for 80 years, is the incompatibility of the random,
probablistic nature of Quantum Mechanics, and the deterministic
nature of Relativity, which remains the supreme graviational
theory, even though gravitons are a construct of Quantum theory.
I saw a PBS special on this over the summer. String theory is supposedly going to bridge the gap between quantum physics and relativity.

There is no experimental evidence for gravitons (yet). Gravitons are the "force carrier" of gravity, which is analogous to the "photon" being the force carrier of the electromagnetic force. Clearly the photon is on solid experimental ground. As of yet though, there is no successful quantum theory of gravity, which would be described by interactions involving spin-2 gravitons. Our best theory of gravity is general relativity, which is at odds with quantum theory, so a deeper theory is needed. People are working hard on trying to come up with such a theory. String theory is one possibility. For more information on String Theory, take a look at Brian Greene's "An Elegant Universe"..

dmp said:
There is no experimental evidence for gravitons (yet). Gravitons are the "force carrier" of gravity, which is analogous to the "photon" being the force carrier of the electromagnetic force. Clearly the photon is on solid experimental ground. As of yet though, there is no successful quantum theory of gravity, which would be described by interactions involving spin-2 gravitons. Our best theory of gravity is general relativity, which is at odds with quantum theory, so a deeper theory is needed. People are working hard on trying to come up with such a theory. String theory is one possibility. For more information on String Theory, take a look at Brian Greene's "An Elegant Universe"..
Wouldn't it be cool if they could figure out how to produce gravitrons? It would lead to flying cars and stuff! Cool!

dmp said:

Plagirist ;)

I'm not really convinced about gravitons. Many years ago, it was theorized that all energy had to be carried through a medium, as sound is carried through water and air. Since there was not matter in space, "ether" was the medium theorized for light, but that theory was true, as it was proven that light travels in perfectly straight lines in space, meaning there is no medium. Now, the theory is that all energy is transferred by particles. There's significant evidence of this in photons, as photons can be blocked and have their trajectories changed. Gravitons are theorized based solely on the fact that there must be some particle that transfers gravity. So far, gravitons cannot be blocked, or even affected in any way whatsoever, so I continue to be skeptical.

Hobbit said:
I'm not really convinced about gravitons. Many years ago, it was theorized that all energy had to be carried through a medium, as sound is carried through water and air. Since there was not matter in space, "ether" was the medium theorized for light, but that theory was true, as it was proven that light travels in perfectly straight lines in space, meaning there is no medium. Now, the theory is that all energy is transferred by particles. There's significant evidence of this in photons, as photons can be blocked and have their trajectories changed. Gravitons are theorized based solely on the fact that there must be some particle that transfers gravity. So far, gravitons cannot be blocked, or even affected in any way whatsoever, so I continue to be skeptical.
The medium you're referring to was known a "ether"... its existence was disproved in the now famous Michealson-Morley experiment.

Gravitons haven't been detected, partly because gravity is the weakest of the known fundamental forces.

Hagbard Celine said:
Wouldn't it be cool if they could figure out how to produce gravitrons? It would lead to flying cars and stuff! Cool!
I don't know about that.... gravity is solely attractive and I don't think that gravitons, photons, gluons etc have anti-particles... so I don't see how graviton generation could produce flying cars.....

anyway, you wouldn't want flying cars... considering the way some people drive, giving them flying cars would be like giving a loaded gun to an infant.

KarlMarx said:
I don't know about that.... gravity is solely attractive and I don't think that gravitons, photons, gluons etc have anti-particles... so I don't see how graviton generation could produce flying cars.....

anyway, you wouldn't want flying cars... considering the way some people drive, giving them flying cars would be like giving a loaded gun to an infant.

However, if the nature of gravitons could be uncovered, we may be able to shield objects from gravitons, allowing them to hover.

Johnney said:
:tng: :tng:

Ok, I'll answer your question. Gravitons are theoretical particles that carry gravitic energy. They have not been proven, but the commonly accepted scientific theory right now is that all energy must be transferred by particles. Whatever transfers gravity hasn't been discovered yet, and since they didn't have any other name or any other known purpose, they were dubbed "gravitons."

Forum List

Back