Grass roots effort to lower gas prices

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Because of hurricane Katrina, weaknesses in our economic structure have been more apparent. All summer we've been suffering from rising gas prices and the hurricane has increased it ten fold. There is plenty of crude oil. The problem is that the government has not allowed new refineries to be built within the last twenty years while our economy has grown significantly. Before the destruction of New Orleans our refineries were working at 98%. Needless to say we need to get our congressmen pushing for new refineries or gas prices will do nothing but continue to go up.

In addition, it would be wise if we tried to spread out the refineries across the nation. That way if, heaven forbid, another natural disaster, or worse, a terrorist attack took out any refineries, losing those one or two refineries would not be enough to significantly effect the gas prices in the rest of the country.

Please contact your representatives and demand that they support the building of more oil refineries so we dont have to pay 5 dollars a gallon next summer. You can find their contact information here:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

If you are tired of paying high gas prices, contact your representatives and spread this message. It will take 5-10 minutes of your time. With your help, we can turn this into a grass roots effort that will finally deal with the problem in the long term.

BTW I'm the one starting this effort. Give me some support everyone:)

Because of hurricane Katrina, weaknesses in our economic structure have been more apparent. All summer we've been suffering from rising gas prices and the hurricane has increased it ten fold. There is plenty of crude oil. The problem is that the government has not allowed new refineries to be built within the last twenty years while our economy has grown significantly. Before the destruction of New Orleans our refineries were working at 98%. Needless to say we need to get our congressmen pushing for new refineries or gas prices will do nothing but continue to go up.

In addition, it would be wise if we tried to spread out the refineries across the nation. That way if, heaven forbid, another natural disaster, or worse, a terrorist attack took out any refineries, losing those one or two refineries would not be enough to significantly effect the gas prices in the rest of the country.

Please contact your representatives and demand that they support the building of more oil refineries so we dont have to pay 5 dollars a gallon next summer. You can find their contact information here:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

If you are tired of paying high gas prices, contact your representatives and spread this message. It will take 5-10 minutes of your time. With your help, we can turn this into a grass roots effort that will finally deal with the problem in the long term.

BTW I'm the one starting this effort. Give me some support everyone:)

I always had ya pegged for a grassroot---great job and my email is on the way!!!!!!!!! :thewave:

Big Blue Machin said:
It's ridiculous how they are manuplating the gas price.

Your gonna have to explain that one to me----I just see them driving up the price of crude. If there wasn't so much opposition in the US to build more refineries, gasoline would me cheaper now. Crude oil is basically worthless until refined.

dilloduck said:
Your gonna have to explain that one to me----I just see them driving up the price of crude. If there wasn't so much opposition in the US to build more refineries, gasoline would me cheaper now. Crude oil is basically worthless until refined.

True, the main problem is the lack of refineries, but the speculators driving up the crude aren't helping much either. The higher the crude prices go the more scared the people at the gas stations start getting which contributes to the high prices.

But the speculators are artificially driving up the crude prices. that bubble is going to burst soon and the prices on that will drop considerably.

New Topics

Forum List

Back