Graphs & Data....

turkstat22.png

turkstat23.png

turkstat24.png

Nothing illustrates the influence of religious belief more than our nation’s recurrent battle over the teaching of Darwinian evolution. Small, but significant victories in Pennsylvania and Kansas have been countered by proposals in several other states, Ohio the most recent, to "teach the controversy," as if intelligent design were a proposition that could explain microbial resistance to penicillin. Sad to say, while it’s hard to find a modern biologist who does not accept Theodosius Dobzhansky’s aphorism that "nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution" the bulk of Americans have trouble making sense of Darwin.

A recent study published in Science (4) documents that fully one-third of American adults believe that evolution is "absolutely false" while only 14% of adults acknowledge that evolution is "definitely true." In Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, and France over 80% of adults had no trouble accepting the facts of evolution, nor did 78% of Japanese. Indeed, of 33 countries surveyed as to their acceptance of evolution, the United States ended up as 32nd on the list. Turkey finished dead last, while Cyprus beat us by a whisker. Perhaps in response to the "intelligent design" movement, the percentage of U.S. adults accepting evolution has actually declined over the last 20 years. Supporting this notion, Miller et al. found that "the total effect of fundamentalist religious beliefs on attitudes toward evolution (using a standardized metric) was nearly twice as much in the United States as in the nine European countries." They concluded that "individuals who hold a strong belief in a personal God and who pray frequently were significantly less likely to view evolution as probably or definitely true than adults with less conservative religious views."

Teach evolution, learn science: we're ahead of Turkey, but behind Iran -- Weissmann 20 (13): 2183 -- The FASEB Journal

In general, Turkey's healthcare system is not as advanced as most western European countries. Health centres are dispersed all over the country but critical health issues can only be treated in main city centres like Istanbul and Ankara. On average, there is one hospital bed for 440 inhabitants and the ratio is even greater between doctors and inhabitants. Life expectancy is almost 10 years lesser than most developed western European countries.

Istanbul Health: General Practitioner, Doctor, Physician, Turkey - Guide for expatriates, Expatriation - Easy Expat

A Muslim creationist has succeeded in getting the website of leading atheist Richard Dawkins banned in Turkey after he complained that its contents were blasphemous.
Internet users living in Turkey are now subject to a court order which prohibits them from accessing the popular site richarddawkins.net . The court in Istanbul issued its judgement after author Adnan Oktar claimed Atlas of Creation, a book he has written which contests arguments on evolution, had been defamed on Dawkins' website.

Dawkins website banned in Turkey -Times Online

ISTANBUL -- Sema Ergezen teaches biology to Turkish students interested in teaching science themselves, and she has long struggled with her students' ignorance of, and sometimes hostility to, the notion of evolution.

But she was taken aback when several of her Marmara University students recently accused her of being an atheist, or worse, for teaching anything but the doctrine that God created the Earth and everything on it.

"They said I was a liar if I called myself a Muslim because I also accepted evolution," she said.

What especially disturbed -- and amused -- the veteran professor was that the arguments for creationism presented by some of the students came directly from the country where she was educated in the biological sciences years before -- the United States. Translated and adapted for a Muslim society, the purported proofs that Darwinism and evolution were wrong came directly from American proponents of Christian creationism and its less overtly religious offshoot, intelligent design.

In Turkey, fertile ground for creationism - washingtonpost.com

Dude, what's the problem with your "Darwin - Intelligent design" thing?
As long as there is no violence, children in schools have access to unbiased teachings, everything is fine.

If Sarah Palin was to be elected President...

sarah-palin-turkey-slaughter-big.jpg

...Turkey will DIE!!!

The things that went on close to her, but behind her back, are outrageous!

Nothing even remotely related to Turkey can feel safe with Palin.

Speaking of President Palin --

I know that when I think of the need to take on some Islamofascists, we can count on Turkey for fly-over rights EVERY BIT AS MUCH as we can count on France!

:clap2:

Dude, what's the problem with your "Darwin - Intelligent design" thing?
As long as there is no violence, children in schools have access to unbiased teachings, everything is fine.

Intelligent design is NOT "unbiased teaching", it's nonsense.

What it does is "de-legitimizes" science in this country. For any Christian college to receive accreditation, they have to teach a course in evolution, the foundation science for biology, botany and physiology. It's usually a very "simple" course. Most of their science consists of "natural science", things like "bees pollinate the flowers". How many potential scientists have we lost among smart Republicans who turn their backs on science?

Turkey has to send it's young doctors overseas for their residency because medicine touches on "evolution".

This isn't 1882. The last 30 years has seen an explosion in knowledge about evolution supported by nearly every other field of science. There just isn't any meaningful arguement anymore. Except in our public schools where we hamstring our children insisting on a "mystical component" being added to science. It's insane.

...Turkey will DIE!!!

I know that when I think of the need to take on some Islamofascists, we can count on Turkey for fly-over rights EVERY BIT AS MUCH as we can count on France!

We need you in the military so you can show us where they are.

...Turkey will DIE!!!

Which "they" are you grunting about in your unclear way?

(...)
Turkey has to send it's young doctors overseas for their residency because medicine touches on "evolution".
(...)

turkstat29.png

In many parts of the world (i.e., in at least some of the USA), it is considered an INSULT to say, "That is a real TURKEY!"

Thoughts?

I don't have interest in any of your sayings.

Last edited:
The murder of the Turkish embassador on the streets of Budapest would result in the Hungary Turkey War.

(...)
(...)

turkstat29.png

In many parts of the world (i.e., in at least some of the USA), it is considered an INSULT to say, "That is a real TURKEY!"

Thoughts?

I don't have interest in any of your sayings.

Well, so much for YOUR "thoughts."

Anybody else willing to share his or her thoughts on this thrilling topic?

As an aside, I should probably note:

I am somewhat troubled by ekrem's reply. For, here we are, all FASCINATED by eky's chart-by-chart tour de force on all things Turkey.

It's so endlessly fas---cin --- a --- Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

:lol:

I am somewhat troubled by ekrem's reply. For, here we are, all FASCINATED by eky's chart-by-chart tour de force on all things Turkey.

I attest you not having an intellect that qualifies you for me to take you serious.
You wont provoke me so i get banned.
I fought here all on my own other people, whom I attest that intellect without getting banned.
Ans still I stand, you are not even a mild wind to let me fall.

Last edited:

I attest you not having an intellect that qualifies you for me to take you serious.
You wont provoke me so i get banned.
I fought here all on my own other people, whom I attest that intellect without getting banned.
Ans still I stand, you are not even a mild wind to let me fall.

That's some mighty impressive attesting.

I attest that I am all impressed and shit.

Well now.

Not before.

But in the face of your mighty attestations, how could I not be all impressed, now?

(Actually, speaking of winds: I have farted better thoughts than your attestations, truth be told.)

Now, merke, get back to Turkey.

Because, seriously, it's simply wonderful how you provide such rich detail to your grand thesis by the use of charts!

duck duck TURKEY!

There. That was just for you!

No need to thank me.

The murder of the Turkish embassador on the streets of Budapest would result in the Hungary Turkey War.

Hello moderator. I tell you an anecdote, because you 2 Mods are tag-teaming:
The Yorkshire Terriert asks the Kangal: "Why is your neck so thick?".
The Kangal answers: "Because I take care of my business myself.".

Which "they" are you grunting about in your unclear way?

Islamofascists, obviously.

Forum List

Back