Granting Props to President Obama where due

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Liability, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    For grins and chuckles, I thought it might be interesting to see what things about President Obama make conservatives say, "Good point" or "Good job" or "Thank you!"

I will offer a few observations to get it rolling.

1. President Obama is taking the fight against the likes of al qaeda into Afghanistan (and has been doing so rather consistently since becoming President). I think these are smart moves by him and I don't mind giving him credit because I think he has earned credit for that.
      -------------
    2. President Obama has indicated that he is open to keeping provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act. I realize that many of my conservative brothers and sisters hate that Act as do most liberals. That's ok. To my view, it is a practical necessity and if kept under close scrutiny (checks and balances), it is a perfectly Constitutional and proper governmental power. I give him kudos for NOT being such a doctrinaire liberal that he found it necessary to undermine our national security.
      --------------
    3. President Obama (even if off the record and even if it was shoddy of Terrry Moran to report the off the record material) did say that Kanye West was a "jackass." I not only agree with that assessment of Kanye West by President Obama, but I got the impression, when I heard the tape getting played, that President Obama was being genuine. He seems, sometimes, like a real regular guy. I can't imagine agreeing with him on very much politically, but I can imagine having a brew with him and discussing many other things in a way that wouldn't be anything but a pleasant session. Objectively, my view is he deserves props for being a basically good person, even if I think he has his head up his ass most of the time politically.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    I got... no.. how about... no...oh oh ...uh...no not that either. Ok I got nothing!!!

You mentioned about the only things that I would give him an "atta boy" for.

Uh oh , now that sounded racist, I meant "atta man"!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,755
    I give Obama credit for making me feel like a 3rd grader being lectured to by a mean teacher every time he gives a speech. He doesn't talk to people. He lectures them.

4. Liability

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    I don't disagree that he talks down to us as though he is the annointed one on high who must suffer the rabble and try to educate the poor, ill-informed masses.

But you aren't really keeping to the spirit of this thread by giving "props" to a man when you are actually just criticizing him.

Is there anything he has done of said that you do like?

5. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Agree with you, except on point #2. The Patriot Act makes me want to scream...

6. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    agree with yours except for no. 2

as for mine, when he ordered those somali pirates to be taken out.

---i hate this keyboard, -shift- key doesn't work. pain in the ass.---

7. Liability

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    I understand (and even noted that many conservatives disagree with me on that point).

Although it might derail my own thread, let me ask you something, a bit hypothetically.

I have NO IDEA if this is true or not, but let's assume that the FBI, the NYPD Joint Terrorism Task Force and other law enforcement types associated with The Department of Homeland Security discovered the guys who just got their homes searched in Queens County, New York City (my stomping grounds for many years)* and at least one of whom has roots going back to Colorado, were involved in some plot to commit some terrorist acts here in the continental United States. And, again, conceding that I don't know if it's true, let's further assume that the suspects are actually al qaeda cell members. And, let us further assume that the suspects got EXPOSED in their plot via use of the tools of the USA PATRIOT Act.

How exactly does the USE of that tool violate any of OUR Constitutional rights?

8. Liability

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    I agree with you that the affirmative decision to authorize deadly force against Somali pirates was a praise-worthy decision by the President.

9. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    If they have US citizenship, then their rights were violated. It is that simple.

Our open society, by its nature, makes us very vulnerable. If you don't like it, I hear Russia and China are very safe places to live.

10. Liability

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,064
    If they are U.S. citizens or not, if you'd be so kind, please explain HOW their rights were allegedly violated. You said it's "that simple." It is? WHAT, exactly, is simple? What rights were violated, by whom and in what manner?

I decline the rhetorical invitation to explore living arrangements in nations that do not share our love of and for ordered liberty.