Granny of the Year Tries to Sell Baby at Best Buy

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
It happened in the parking lot of a Best Buy, but there was nothing good about the sale taking place: a Holly Hill woman handing her 8-week-old grandson over to a stranger in exchange for $30,000.

Patty Bigbee, 45, originally offered the child for $75,000 before agreeing to a lower price, according to the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

Authorities would not say how the buyer originally found out the child was for sale, or whether the Internet was involved, but said the buyer became gravely concerned and immediately began working with police to set up a sting.

Bigbee and her boyfriend, 42-year-old Lawrence Work, arrived at the Daytona Beach store to meet the buyer Friday afternoon and began unloading a stroller and toys. Police waited until the child was safe in his new car seat before taking the pair into custody.

The boy is now in the care of the Department of Children and Families.

Florida Woman Arrested After Selling Grandson For $30,000 | NBC Miami

article-0-0BEFC748000005DC-132_468x286.jpg

The saddest part of this story is that infant probably would have been better off with a buyer.

Last edited:
So a woman can abandon a baby and not be prosecuted because of safe haven laws but she can't charge an adoption fee and give it to whomever she wants?

Ha ha. I generally agree with that quote, but not here. Background checks, etc. need to be done before a child is sold, don't ya think?

I am a big proponent of adoption. If young moms can make a buck off it, I don't care. The cost of raising an unwanted child is far greater.

I so want to know the back story to this.

Where is the dad? What is mom in jail for? At 45, Grandma needs money for day care etc. What kind of income does she have?

So much interesting stuff to the story that is missing

I so want to know the back story to this.

Where is the dad? What is mom in jail for? At 45, Grandma needs money for day care etc. What kind of income does she have?

So much interesting stuff to the story that is missing

I'm wondering if there was a court somewhere that granted her custody, and if so why. Crazy!

Courts would probably not have been involved.... but Here in Oregon child protective services will interview a defendant and meet with other relatives.

The rule usually is that kids are kept with family unless there really is very good reason otherwise. So Child protective would have looked in, seen the kid was clean, fed and had no bruises and then closed the case. Unless they were drunk at 8 in the morning or actively beating the kid, they probably would not have the right to interfere

Courts would probably not have been involved.... but Here in Oregon child protective services will interview a defendant and meet with other relatives.

The rule usually is that kids are kept with family unless there really is very good reason otherwise. So Child protective would have looked in, seen the kid was clean, fed and had no bruises and then closed the case. Unless they were drunk at 8 in the morning or actively beating the kid, they probably would not have the right to interfere

So with the mom in jail and the dad either AWOL or nonexistent, Grandma and boyfriend are "caring for" a 12-week-old infant with no temporary custody or foster arrangement?

You're right, there are a while lot of facts missing from this story. Now I'm curious too.

I didn't find out until I was grown that my folks bought me from a woman in Florida. I wonder???:eek:

Forum List

Back