Grandparent hood approaching. But not for some time yet

Sep 12, 2008
I took my boy to Band practice this morning. It is a 30 minute drive by freeway at 6:00AM on a Saturday.

We were having a nice father son chat about high school life when he stops in the middle of a word and hops out of the car to chat up a girl walking through the parking lot. Nothing special. Cute face, glasses, kind of flat. But when talking to her his face is so bright I thought the sun had come up. They come over to the car and he introduces her, I exchange a few words, and then I drive off. From what little I hear, she is very civil, polite and intelligent. So while I sedately cruise off into the sunrise, inwardly I am going
Yes! Yes! Yes! OOOORah!
Six months ago, girls were still kind of Squick. And I have heard about this girl that he has fallen for from my daughter off and on. The kids first romance has always been a bit of a worry. Will he go for the brain dead bimbo? Will he be desperate and scrape the bottom of the barrel? Will she be manipulative and bitchy?
I don't know that much, but already she seems a winner. I don't expect her to be THE ONE, after all he is only 16. But it seems he is able to pick a peach.

Anyway, I am not looking to be a grand dad for another 6 years at least. But if this is the kind of girl he will go for, all kinds of Paternal worries are laid to rest.

Best advice I can give you is to begin to save up money for grandkids now. I have seven of them and they are EXPENSIVE. Everytime they come to visit we end up eating hot dogs and beans for the next 30 days but they go home with everything that their parent won't buy them. That's one of your jobs as a grandparent.

I think my boy is smart enough that I have to wait another 7 years or so. And from what I have seen of her, I think she is too.

I can be patient.

Years ago I asked each of my 3 sons (queue whistle song) if they ever thought they'd get married and have kids. I expected a resounding "fuck no" from each of them (after recently divorcing their mother) but they all nodded yes. I just about cried. Well, #2 recently married and the others have g/f's so who knows.

Anyhow BM - hope you get your wish :thup:.

Forum List

Back