Grandpa, Pregnant Mom Tasered at Baptism Party

[youtube]VPRrHYn3TiU[/youtube]

It's time to take these torture devices out of the hands of police officers. They can't be trusted to use them correctly.

I was in a life threatening situation at work and a cop with a Tazer saved my life. You need to realize without Tazers cops with have to use lethal force more and more.

I don't agree. Think why they're using the taser in the first place, because the situation doesn't call for lethal force. Take away their personal torture toy and cops would likely find a different way to diffuse a situation that doesn't require lethal force, or they'd realize that no force is required at all to control the situation.

When they use a Tazer it IS in a situation where they can apply lethal force. You don't realize that when a cop uses a Tazer they investigate the situation just like they would if the Officer Discharged his sidearm.

Personally I prefer them carrying Tazers because it reduces the Lethal force deaths in the country. I personally Carry a Taser outside work for self defense over a gun. I also teach women's self defense classes and the first thing I reccommend to EVERY participant in my classes are them going out and getting a C2 Laser Sighter Taser made by Taser International. Since you can find them for as low as $200.00 at places like Botachtactical.com. I strongly reccommend against the use of Pepper Spray or a Cap Stun device since those aggrivate an attacker more then anything.

There is one Pepper Device that I reccommend though, it is made by Life Act and it is called a Guardian Angel. It is only about $20.00 thoguh the Botach website and it shoots a bullet of Pepper Spray at close to 70mph and has two shots in every device. They are very effective because they hurt like a bitch and will stop an attacker.

They make a device simular but looks like a gun and shoots at over 100 MPH but it's like $200.00.

Also the way I teach is defend and run and hand to hand combat as a last resort and strike to cause serious harm and flee.

I was in a life threatening situation at work and a cop with a Tazer saved my life. You need to realize without Tazers cops with have to use lethal force more and more.

I don't agree. Think why they're using the taser in the first place, because the situation doesn't call for lethal force. Take away their personal torture toy and cops would likely find a different way to diffuse a situation that doesn't require lethal force, or they'd realize that no force is required at all to control the situation.

When they use a Tazer it IS in a situation where they can apply lethal force. You don't realize that when a cop uses a Tazer they investigate the situation just like they would if the Officer Discharged his sidearm.

Personally I prefer them carrying Tazers because it reduces the Lethal force deaths in the country. I personally Carry a Taser outside work for self defense over a gun. I also teach women's self defense classes and the first thing I reccommend to EVERY participant in my classes are them going out and getting a C2 Laser Sighter Taser made by Taser International. Since you can find them for as low as $200.00 at places like Botachtactical.com. I strongly reccommend against the use of Pepper Spray or a Cap Stun device since those aggrivate an attacker more then anything.

There is one Pepper Device that I reccommend though, it is made by Life Act and it is called a Guardian Angel. It is only about $20.00 thoguh the Botach website and it shoots a bullet of Pepper Spray at close to 70mph and has two shots in every device. They are very effective because they hurt like a bitch and will stop an attacker.

They make a device simular but looks like a gun and shoots at over 100 MPH but it's like $200.00.

Also the way I teach is defend and run and hand to hand combat as a last resort and strike to cause serious harm and flee.

Is that the only time they use them? Because there are too many cases where it's not. The situation being discussed in this thread, for instance.

i usually will side with the police on these situations, but i dont see how this one ISNT an abuse of power

a PREGNANT woman?
come on, how much of a danger could she have been

I think some drunk ass wouldn't listen to the cops and a the pregant lady probably went crazy. This has a the show Cops written all over it.

Is that the only time they use them? Because there are too many cases where it's not. The situation being discussed in this thread, for instance.

I only agree in their use when there is a threat of imminent danger.

That's the problem, however. The cops can't be trusted to only use them under threat of imminent danger so they shouldn't have them. Instead they seem to continually use them when people try to stand up for their rights against police misconduct.

i usually will side with the police on these situations, but i dont see how this one ISNT an abuse of power

a PREGNANT woman?
come on, how much of a danger could she have been
you obviously haven't dealth much with a pissed off pregnant women.
And she didn't look that pregnant, they probably didn't think she was pregnant.

That's the problem, however. The cops can't be trusted to only use them under threat of imminent danger so they shouldn't have them. Instead they seem to continually use them when people try to stand up for their rights against police misconduct.

You do realize that anytime the officer fires either his weapon or taser he gets investigated by the "Rat Squad", internal affairs right? That is supposed to prevent abuse.

You do realize that anytime the officer fires either his weapon or taser he gets investigated by the "Rat Squad", internal affairs right? That is supposed to prevent abuse.

That's fine, I suppose. But it seems to me that police are more interested in protecting each other rather than protecting the people from their abuse. What's the typical punishment for an officer that does something wrong? A paid vacation.

Chances are, there is some racism or anti-illegal immigration going on, in this situation. However, it it very clever that they only aired the parts that did not show the conversation between the cops and the drunk guy. The bottom line in this case is probably that the woman is an illegal immigrant, and neither her nor her child, when it is born, will have the right to file suit, when all is said and done, if she gets deported.
We are in such a sad state of affairs. I don't understand why people aren't more open minded to illegal aliens! I see that people think that aliens take our jobs, and that many people are under the false premise that aliens get all kinds of publicly funded health care (totally untrue- most of them are too scared to even go to the doctors office, much less the hospital, for fear of deportation)..
Aliens actually pay taxes that they cant get returns on, they increase certain people and victims (the person whose identity they borrow or steal, in some cases) disability and social security standing, and they overall contribute to the economy through their purchasing of real property, vehicles, and every day shopping expenditures. I actually think that aliens are overall good for the economy, even though they tend to take our jobs. I don't understand why some people have so much animosity towards them, though.

"Rodriguez began to act disorderly and refused to identify himself to officers," said police spokeswoman Officer Erika Hernandez.

When police told Rodriguez he was under arrest, family members attempted to interfere, Hernandez said.

One of them was Leticia Elias, who was Tasered along with Rodriguez so police could "successfully arrest" them, Hernandez said. She added that one of the officers spoke fluent Spanish and communication was not a problem.

Some news reports claimed Elias was pregnant, but according to police, that's not the case.

Hernandez said police were conducting an internal investigation. But one law enforcement source said the family has refused to meet with investigators and has not filed an official complaint with the department.

Another source said Elias' husband has been more concerned about the deportation proceedings now pending against Elias, who is being held on a warrant from Immigration and Customs Enforcement for being a suspected illegal immigrant.

Dorothy Johnson, who lives next door to Rodriguez, said the party wasn't loud.

"It was a nice family outing," Johnson said. "I don't know why the police made a big thing of it. ... I thought it was just wrong." She added that regardless of how loud a party is, police are often called to the block by a complaining neighbor.

Rodriguez was charged with resisting arrest and public drunkenness. He was released on $2,500 bail.

Elias was charged with assault and battery of a police officer, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest. Every use of force is investigated internally, Hernandez said.

"Officers can use the necessary tools to overcome resistance to make an arrest," she said.

Police bust up backyard party, Taser young woman - wtop.com

So, she wasn't pregnant, no racism involved, one of the officers spoke Spanish and the family has not filed any charges against police.

A tempest in a teapot.

More, from a different source...The Washington Post:

One officer used the Taser's "touch stun" mode to gain control of Edgar Rodriguez, 54, and Leticia Elias, 25, police said. That means the officer touched the device to both people while in close contact with them, Deane said. Police said the Taser, which records data about its use, was turned on twice, for about three seconds each time, and did not cause any injuries. The officer did not shoot the probes often associated with a Taser gun, police said...

[Mrs.] Elias was hit with the Taser as she and a large group of relatives allegedly tried to interfere with the arrest, and she was arrested and charged with assault and battery on a law enforcement officer, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

...He also said police have debunked rumors that Elias was pregnant, as relatives claimed...

"The actions by these officers were in accordance with policy, lawful and appropriate under the circumstances," Deane said. Dean said he has not received an official complaint from the family.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/06/AR2009080603827.html

No wonder they didn't release the entire video.

Last edited:
More, from a different source...The Washington Post:

One officer used the Taser's "touch stun" mode to gain control of Edgar Rodriguez, 54, and Leticia Elias, 25, police said. That means the officer touched the device to both people while in close contact with them, Deane said. Police said the Taser, which records data about its use, was turned on twice, for about three seconds each time, and did not cause any injuries. The officer did not shoot the probes often associated with a Taser gun, police said...

[Mrs.] Elias was hit with the Taser as she and a large group of relatives allegedly tried to interfere with the arrest, and she was arrested and charged with assault and battery on a law enforcement officer, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

...He also said police have debunked rumors that Elias was pregnant, as relatives claimed...

"The actions by these officers were in accordance with policy, lawful and appropriate under the circumstances," Deane said. Dean said he has not received an official complaint from the family.

Prince William, Va., Police Defend Taser Use on 2 People at Party - washingtonpost.com

No wonder they didn't release the entire video.
interesting
maybe the full video will come out

Forum List

Back