Grammar Police

The ClayTaurus said:
I think they just did a wide sweep to cover everything over ten, instead of everything over ten except 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. etc.

I dunno. They appear to suggest using numerical figures for all numbers over ten; there is no differentiation between numbers. How is fifteen really any different from ten? Or fifty?

Rule 1. The numbers one through ten should be spelled out; use figures for numbers greater than ten.
Examples I want five copies.
I want 15 copies.

Abbey Normal said:
I dunno. They appear to suggest using numerical figures for all numbers over ten; there is no differentiation between numbers. How is fifteen really any different from ten? Or fifty?

Rule 1. The numbers one through ten should be spelled out; use figures for numbers greater than ten.
I want 15 copies.

Wow. That's a load to remember.

Abbey Normal said:

I want 15 copies.
Which is basically what I said, I thought?

I do not see anything wrong with "3%",
and I will continue to use numerals when
describing percentages. I do not know
what the requirements of formal English
are, and would like to see a source for
any requirement "3%" be spelled out.

I read somewhere formal English requires
numbers under 10 to be spelled with letters,
and usually do so myself.

However, this is a clearly arbitrary rule,
which does nothing to improve clarity
or anything else as far as I can see, so
I may dispense with it.

I always thought that 3% would be specifically 3%, and things like twenty percent could be etimations or rounding. Also, when listing things, I would use 3%. Such as, 3% are such and such; 5% are such and such; and 92% are classified as "other."

Just seems earier to mentally organize it using numbers.

You would use "3 percent", so it is a mixture of both.

Since the number is a modifier for the word "percent" you use numericals in this instance.

From Strunk & White's Elements of Style

<LI><FONT SIZE="+1"><B><A NAME="2">Numerals</A>.</B></FONT> Do not spell out dates or other serial numbers. Write them in figures or in Roman notation, as may be appropriate.<TABLE ALIGN="CENTER"><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
<TR><TD><TABLE ALIGN="CENTER" BORDER=2 CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=4><TR><TD>August 9, 1918</TD><TD>Chapter II</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Rule 3</TD><TD>352d Infantry</TD></TR></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

Forum List

Back