Grammar Police

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
When using statistics in a sentance, would you write "three per cent" or "3%" i.e. Aboriginal peoples make up roughly three percent of all Canadians.

Said1 said:
When using statistics in a sentance, would you write "three per cent" or "3%" i.e. Aboriginal peoples make up roughly three percent of all Canadians.
Three percent, unless the writing is informal.

Said1 said:
Well I really don't know, but WordPerfect grammer check highlights "three percent", but not 3% in the sentance. For whatever that's worth.

Mr. P said:
Well I really don't know, but WordPerfect grammer check highlights "three percent", but not 3% in the sentance. For whatever that's worth.
grammar checkers stink.

Mr. P said:

I'm using MS word and nothing, but I can remember it being incorrect in the past. I hate grammar. It's almost as bad as math. :confused:

Here's another view..
Write out numbers that require no more than two words, remembering that a hyphenated number between twenty-one and ninety-nine counts as one word. Some writing manuals will suggest that whole numbers from zero through nine should be written as words, and numbers from ten on up should be written as numerals, especially when the word modifies a noun as in five students or two professors.

* Use numerals, however, when the number modifies a unit of measure, time, proportion, etc.: 2 inches, 5-minute delay, 65 mph, 23 years old, page 23, 2 percent.
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/numbers.htm

The ClayTaurus said:
Three percent, unless the writing is informal.

That is how I usually handle it. If I am writing a paragraph, it seems kind of jarring visually to all of a sudden have a number in the middle of it.

What seems really odd is the rule on one of the links here which says to use text for numbers one through ten, but numerical figures for those higher than 10.

Abbey Normal said:
That is how I usually handle it. If I am writing a paragraph, it seems kind of jarring visually to all of a sudden have a number in the middle of it.

What seems really odd is the rule on one of the links here which says to use text for numbers one through ten, but numerical figures for those higher than 10.
Actually, that's becoming the new style. Having to read all those hyphenated words is unnecessary.

The ClayTaurus said:
Actually, that's becoming the new style. Having to read all those hyphenated words is unnecessary.

Oh, I agree when it comes to hyphenated numbers, but the example in the link was to use a numerical figure for a number such as 50. Why is 50 any different from 10?

Abbey Normal said:
Oh, I agree when it comes to hyphenated numbers, but the example in the link was to use a numerical figure for a number such as 50. Why is 50 any different from 10?
I think they just did a wide sweep to cover everything over ten, instead of everything over ten except 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. etc.

Forum List

Back