Graham Calls on Sotomayor to Apologize for 'Wise Latina' Statement

Brn2bfree

Apr 1, 2009
Graham Calls on Sotomayor to Apologize for 'Wise Latina' StatementSen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., tells "FOX News Sunday" he's not buying President Obama's attempt to walk back his Supreme Court nominee's controversial statement from 2001.
FOXNews.com
Sunday, May 31, 2009

A prominent Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee called on Judge Sonia Sotomayor to apologize for saying years ago that she would hope a "wise Latina woman" often would reach a better conclusion than a white man.
Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told "FOX News Sunday" he wasn't buying President Obama's attempt to walk back his Supreme Court nominee's controversial statement from 2001. Obama said Friday that given the chance Sotomayor would have "restated" that comment, and that she was merely trying to express how her experiences give her perspective on others' hardships.
"She didn't say that at all," Graham countered Sunday, suggesting Sotomayor's statement raises questions about her objectivity.
"What she said is that based on her life experiences is that she thought a Latina woman, somebody with her background, would be a better judge than a guy like me -- a white guy from South Carolina," Graham said. "It is troubling, and it's inappropriate and I hope she'll apologize."
With Sotomayor's confirmation set to dominate the summer months, Graham said the nominee will have to "prove" that she could give somebody like him a "fair shake" in court. He said her controversial statement suggests she feels her life experiences give her a "superiority" over others.
"I don't want that kind of person being a judge in my case," he said. But he dismissed claims from conservatives like talk show host Rush Limbaugh and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich that Sotomayor is a "racist."
"I don't think she's a racist," Graham said.
Sen. Arlen Specter, the Pennsylvania senator who recently switched his party affiliation from Republican to Democrat and also sits on the Judiciary Committee, defended Sotomayor's objectivity.
"She has an extraordinary record and I believe that it's fair to ask her about the question, but she has a long solid record to show that she's fair and not biased," he said on "FOX News Sunday."
Sotomayor, who sits on the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, would be the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice if confirmed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finaly there's someone saying something about this. It's about time. But this is not going to be enough...she will get the nomination.

She said she's a better judge than a white male. This a racist comment. If a white male said that about a latina female ..he would be run out of town. They are using race to intimidate the Republicans and the Republican girlymen are falling for it.

She will bring 'bigotory and racism' into the court room and will set back civil rights for many years. Also, this reflects Obama!

Give me your honest opinion on this comment. "Wise Latina woman often would reach a better conclusion than a white man."
Do you think that this is a racist remark? Doesn't this reflect Obama?

I want to know what is it about you Moderates that you don't find this upseting.

Wow.. Lyndsey Graham of all people asking for the apology. I figured he'd be out there telling republicans that she was a good choice and had just misspoken. But if he's holding his breath waiting for the apology, he'll turn pretty blue. Apologizing seems to be exclusively a republican thing.

Wow.. Lyndsey Graham of all people asking for the apology. I figured he'd be out there telling republicans that she was a good choice and had just misspoken. But if he's holding his breath waiting for the apology, he'll turn pretty blue. Apologizing seems to be exclusively a republican thing.
of course, only republicans have to be sorry for actually believing in their core principles

Apologizing won't change what she meant and said. It wasn't just an off the cuff comment.
Let's contrast it with something Mr Obama said.
On the tonight Show, Mr Obama made the comment about bowling like he was from the special Olympics (paraphrased). It was an ad hoc comment, not an intelligent comment considering his position, but it was off the cuff. He apologized for it, no biggie.
Now, Ms Sotomayers comment was made in a prepared speech. That means she thought about it, planned it, and wrote it down in advance. It wasn't just an ad hoc idiotic mistake.
Therein lies the difference between an acceptable apology and a false one.

Apologizing won't change what she meant and said. It wasn't just an off the cuff comment.
Let's contrast it with something Mr Obama said.
On the tonight Show, Mr Obama made the comment about bowling like he was from the special Olympics (paraphrased). It was an ad hoc comment, not an intelligent comment considering his position, but it was off the cuff. He apologized for it, no biggie.
Now, Ms Sotomayers comment was made in a prepared speech. That means she thought about it, planned it, and wrote it down in advance. It wasn't just an ad hoc idiotic mistake.
Therein lies the difference between an acceptable apology and a false one.
Apologizing didnt help Trent Lott
why would it help her?
:lol:

you remember Grahman as the Senator for giving the Democwats hell for making Judge Thomas feel as if he had been through a "high tech lynching."
Grahman is exactly right.. either we are going to be racists or we or not.. as far as I'm concerned the standard should be set for all people. no racism,,

I hereby call on Lindsey Graham to apologize to all Libertarians for insulting our intelligence by declaring that though he is not a libertarian, and gives no credence to libertarian ideals, we should feel free to vote for him.

Lindsey Graham? You mean the guy who worked so hard to get McCain elected even though he knew how incompetent he is.

Just because he was the Republican. Wow, Graham should apologize for being so empathetic.

Graham was feeding McCain his lines in that speech in Iraq which was supposed to be McCains best issue... He KNEW McCain would be a disaster in the WH and yet he still not only supported him but worked to get him elected.

I'm calling on Graham to apologize. :razz:

Lindsey Graham? You mean the guy who worked so hard to get McCain elected even though he knew how incompetent he is.

Just because he was the Republican. Wow, Graham should apologize for being so empathetic.

Graham was feeding McCain his lines in that speech in Iraq which was supposed to be McCains best issue... He KNEW McCain would be a disaster in the WH and yet he still not only supported him but worked to get him elected.

more moronic crap that you cant prove

after you apologize for obamalama and biden! :eusa_whistle:

That will never happen. Well, it will probably never happen.

That will never happen. Well, it will probably never happen.

ppffffttt!

Apologize! Apologize for what? Speaking her mind? Last I checked this was still America, land of the free, you birdbrain right wing fascists censors should look at that buffoon Scalia and some of the stupidity that comes out his mouth. He without sin cast the first stone, actually for you dimwits throwing stones is all you got because you sure as hell failed when power was in the hands of your anointed ones.

"We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still." John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

There are no apologies in modern day politics, and Graham is fully aware of that. He is not even been asking her to turn down the nomination. She is most likely racist underneath that learned skin, but she is not the only one on the Supremes who make decisions. She is the president's choice, so will be chosen. Live with it.

There are no apologies in modern day politics, and Graham is fully aware of that. He is not even been asking her to turn down the nomination. She is most likely racist underneath that learned skin, but she is not the only one on the Supremes who make decisions. She is the president's choice, so will be chosen. Live with it.

right....just like the dems accepted all bush's choices :eusa_hand:

right....just like the dems accepted all bush's choices :eusa_hand:
except the dems had more ability to block that the GOP doesnt have
and i still havent seen a valid reason to block this one

Apologize! Apologize for what? Speaking her mind? Last I checked this was still America, land of the free, you birdbrain right wing fascists censors should look at that buffoon Scalia and some of the stupidity that comes out his mouth. He without sin cast the first stone, actually for you dimwits throwing stones is all you got because you sure as hell failed when power was in the hands of your anointed ones.

"We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still." John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Just curious, can you address the way Ms Sotomayer has acted without justifying it by invoking bad behavior from some body else as an excuse?

New Topics

Forum List

Back