Graduation

Universities that Accept the GED

Thousands of traditional campus-based colleges and universities accept the GED as equivalent to a high school diploma. Below is a list of the most prestigious ones.

• University of Florida
  • University of Texas
  • University of Illinois
  • DePaul University
  • University of Southern California
  • New York University
  • Arizona State University
  • Penn State University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Colorado

Really? That might be what the website says is required to apply, but I guarantee you there are few students with a GED if any! The average GPA at Florida for high school graduates entering the school is closer to a 4.0 than you can imagine.

My nephew was Valedictorian of his high school class and he is an "average" student at Florida.

Only 48% of applicants are admitted.

They usually have an SAT score of over 1200 and an ACT composite of 27 or higher.

The chances of someone with a GED making that are about as common as hen's teeth.

and yet 48% of college students never graduate

So?

If we let everyone with GEDs in that might approach 90%!

It takes a lot more to get a GED on your own than it does to show up at HS because you are forced to.

and I guess the GED ain't so easy since Ivy league grads can't pass it

Ivy League Grads Can’t Pass the New GED

How long did it take you to pass it?

If you didn't take it, how do you know?
I didn't take the GED I finished HS

But unlike you people I know what that HS diploma was worth and it wasn't much

It certainly wasn't worth sitting through an hours long ceremony wearing a stupid hat which is why I skipped the ceremony

Really? That might be what the website says is required to apply, but I guarantee you there are few students with a GED if any! The average GPA at Florida for high school graduates entering the school is closer to a 4.0 than you can imagine.

My nephew was Valedictorian of his high school class and he is an "average" student at Florida.

They usually have an SAT score of over 1200 and an ACT composite of 27 or higher.

The chances of someone with a GED making that are about as common as hen's teeth.

So?

It takes a lot more to get a GED on your own than it does to show up at HS because you are forced to.

Wrong
then why can't Ivy league grad pass the GED?

They can, of course. You really are as dumb as a stump.

So?

Wrong

I posted a link that says otherwise
What's the matter you couldn't understand it

So?

Wrong

Apparently YOU didn't understand it.

Wrong

Projection

So?

Did you finish while being homeless? Shot? Stabbed? Abused? Addicted? Working more than one full-time job? Raising a family? Dealing with ptsd? Caring for family with major issues? Living in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country? Or any number of other factors that make accomplishing such a life goal an incredible achievement, you fucking bigmouth?

So?

Did you finish while being homeless? Shot? Stabbed? Abused? Addicted? Working more than one full-time job? Raising a family? Dealing with ptsd? Caring for family with major issues? Living in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country? Or any number of other factors that make accomplishing such a life goal an incredible achievement, you fucking bigmouth?

Boo fucking hoo.

I worked full time while I was in HS 44 hours per week to be exact. Every day after school from 3 to 9 PM Saturdays, 7 Am to 3 PM, Sunday from 7 AM to 1 PM

Projection

Observation

From the guy who was so observant he didn't see the link I posted

So?

Boo fucking hoo.

I worked full time while I was in HS 44 hours per week to be exact. Every day after school from 3 to 9 PM Saturdays, 7 Am to 3 PM, Sunday from 7 AM to 1 PM

If you're trying to make yourself look like even more of an ignorant asshole, you're doing a great job.

Boo fucking hoo.

If you're trying to make yourself look like even more of an ignorant asshole, you're doing a great job.

I have a
low tolerance for crybabies like you

Boo fucking hoo.

I have a

That's it, let everyone get a good look at you and see just what you are.

Boo fucking hoo.

I have a

That's it, let everyone get a good look at you and see just what you are.
You mean an anonymous poster on a message board?

In 1930, only 25% of American yoots graduated from high school. Calculus, Latin, history, familiarity with the Classics - it was all in there, not to mention starting each day with the Lord's Prayer in most public schools. Until the early 50's a high school diploma "meant something," but now...

Today, over 30% of Americans graduate from college. We are not getting any smarter, nor do we as a society pursue academic rigor in any major way. Hence, it is not completely fatuous to believe that a college degree today is actually less of an accomplishment than a HS diploma was during the Great Depression. Just sayin'.

My paternal grandfather absquatulated in 1921, leaving penniless a wife and three sons, the youngest of whom, my father, was seven years old at the time. She tried to dump the three boys into St. Joseph's Protectory in Lawrenceville (Pittsburgh), which was actually a work-house for boys from 10-18 years old, but the Headmaster told her she would have to find some other arrangement for Wibby, my father, until he turned 10. Grandma Burkhart told him that if he didn't take Wibby she would take him down too the river and drown him. He apparently believed her, and took him in. My father was the youngest resident at St Joe's for three years. Became an accomplished ping-pong player and pool shot.

As a resident of the "Pro," my father was fortunate to be in the first freshman class at Central Catholic High School (which still thrives), but he was pulled out of school after two years in order to work to help support the family, as his older brothers were already doing. He worked continuously, full time, from then until 1980 when he retired, including a short stay in the USNavy. He finally got his HS diploma at night, from Peabody High School in Pittsburgh, in 1938.

Kudos to anyone who overcomes life's real difficulties to get a HS diploma. But for the spawn of today's helicopter parents, that diploma is barely evidence of attendance at an entertainment venue. Which is not to say that some kids aren't learning quite a bit, but in many cases they are learning in spite of the school system and not because of it.

Forum List

Back