Graduate from College Today with No Debt?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I graduated from HS in 1967, and my family had no resources to help me with college. None. Although I was not motivated that first year, I was forced to make some unpleasant decisions and ultimately found my way through to a JD at age 32, with no debt. I took two years off to get married and buy a house.

I cannot deny that college is much more expensive now than it was then, but the things I did could probably still work today for a mature and motivated student. So here goes...

(1). Join the military, and take advantage of all of the education benefits it provides. When you enlist, sign up for an MOS and training the will have some economic value on the outside. If you know what you want to do later in life, sign up for something that dovetails with that.

Take college classes part time while you are in the service, if possible. After a couple years, take the CLEP test, which some colleges will recognize to waive lower level requirements toward a degree.

(2). After getting out of the service, attend a Community College for two years, if possible. Most public universities will accept all CC credits toward a four year degree. With the GI Bill, savings, and working (see below) you should not have to borrow any money during your time at Community College. Live "at home" if you can, of course.

(3)(a). Work full-time while you are going to school full time. There are two ways to do this, depending on what your local colleges offer. First, you can get a "dumb-ass" job with a lot of downtime - like a security guard, working midnight shift, and going to school during the day. You will probably have time to do most of your assignments on the down-time. You won't have much free time, but you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

(3)(b). Alternatively, get a "good" job and take courses at night and on weekends. I had the good fortune to have a university (Univ. of Pittsburgh) that offered two class periods in the evening, one starting at 5 and one at 8. With that schedule, I could carry 12 credits - which is "full time" - going only two nights per week. I had to take a couple courses in the Summer in order to get the full 30 credits per year, but summer classes are low-key and easier.

I suggest that you NOT go to school part time. It takes forever, and it's almost impossible to remain motivated for 10 years. The important thing is to work and go to school FULL TIME. I did it for 7 years (through law school), so I know what it's like. Also, when you go to school FULL TIME, you become eligible for grants and assistance that part-timers don't have access to.

Apply for every possible grant and scholarship. Go to the school that provides the best value for the money - not necessarily the lowest tuition. Get good grades and graduate with honors.

Don't tell me it's not possible to graduate today without debt. It IS possible, you just have to be willing to make some sacrifices and get your head out of your ass. And everything I did could be done by a woman, as easily as a man.

That's a good list. Student debt coupled especially when coupled with unemployment is a devastating problem. Parents with kids in middle school and high school need to look at all the options to reduce college costs OR go a different route if your kids don't have good grades or ACT/SAT scores.

I would add to your list taking as many AP courses and tests as possible. Both of my sons eliminated nearly a years worth of freshman courses through AP tests. That's A LOT of money especially at out of state tuition rates. Also living off campus (if that is an option) can reduce housing and food costs quite a bit.

The only problem with this plan is the cost of college is much higher than when you went. One semester of college for my daughter at an inexpensive state school with room and board in 2016 actually costs more than my tuition for master's degree that took 2 years to complete back in 2003.

My daughter went to college on an Army ROTC scholarship and I paid for my Master's with the GI Bill. Paying for it otherwise is extremely difficult. Both of my other kids attended on the GI Bill also.

A year at a state college should not be more than $10k/year, including room & board. A year at a community college should be half that, or even less. A pittance if you are able to commute.

There is no reason to graduate with tens of thousands of dollars of debt.

There is a real concern now, with Bernie Sanders idiocy in the air, that students are taking their debt less seriously, assuming that at some future time it will all be forgiven.

Forum List

Back