Grad Sues College for $70,000 Because She Can't Find a Job

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
She has given new meaning to a class-action lawsuit.

Trina Thompson gave it the old college try, but couldn't find work. Now she thinks her sheepskin wasn't worth her time, and is suing her alma mater for her money back.

The Monroe College grad wants the $70,000 she spent on tuition because she hasn't found gainful employment since earning her bachelor's degree in April, according to a suit filed in Bronx Supreme Court on July 24.

The 27-year-old alleges the business-oriented Bronx school hasn't lived up to its end of the bargain, and has not done enough to find her a job.

The information-technology student blames Monroe's Office of Career Advancement for not providing her with the leads and career advice it promised.

"They have not tried hard enough to help me,"
Grad Sues College for $70,000 Because She Can't Find a Job - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

She should just sue her parents for giving her the "stupid gene". :cuckoo:

At first glance, this looks like just another frivolous lawsuit. However, there is this:

The information-technology student blames Monroe's Office of Career Advancement for not providing her with the leads and career advice it promised.

What did the school promise?

At first glance, this looks like just another frivolous lawsuit. However, there is this:

What did the school promise?

Maybe they promised to remove her "stupid gene" that Chanel referred to.

Good point, but every school has a career placement office. Did she go there? Did she schedule an appointment with a counselor? It sounds like she wanted them to come to her and offer a job. I don't think that "promise" was a money-back guarantee.

She prob. can't find a job because of this little recession going on. Or perhaps because she's an asshole. I am leaning toward the latter. Who would hire her now? They'd be afraid she'd sue them if it rains during her vacation time. :lol:

So the kid doesn't have a job and is in debt w/loans to the tune of $70,000 . . . and then adds to that debt by hiring a lawyer to sue the school? Kind of like overspending, running into problems because of that, then overspending even more to try and fix it.

On a more serious note,
I work in IT for a Fortune 500 company and I have no formal education in IT and neither do many of my co-workers. A college degree opens doors, it doesn't guarantee a job.
My ex-father-in-law was a nuclear engineer for GE, but guess what, when he went to college, nuclear engineering wasn't something you could get a degree in, his degree was in mechanical engineering.
Smart people make things happen, stupid people blame others for their failure.

So the kid doesn't have a job and is in debt w/loans to the tune of $70,000 . . . and then adds to that debt by hiring a lawyer to sue the school? Kind of like overspending, running into problems because of that, then overspending even more to try and fix it.

Holy crap, when you say it that way, she sounds like she will have a great career as a politician.

"They have not tried hard enough to help me,"

What a great idea! I was trying to figure out who to sue, and I hadn't thought of suing my college.

I could just say that I'm not earning as much as I want, and that is because of the college.

Perhaps she's suffering from "Entitlement/Victim Delusion Syndrome". She should sue the "self esteem" advocates at her elementary school.

BTW - I'm pretty sure that career centers will assist alumni and recent grads as well. She graduated in April? Something smells awfully fishy to me.

Holy crap, when you say it that way, she sounds like she will have a great career as a politician.

Then she should get started right now. I'm sure Barry has an opening. Perhaps he needs a beer czar.

Last edited:
As if being unemployed weren't enough, Trina's student loans are coming due, saddling the family with more debt, the mom said.

"We're going to be homeless, and we'll still have a student loan to pay," Carol said.

Have these people never heard of deferment?

On a more serious note,
I work in IT for a Fortune 500 company and I have no formal education in IT and neither do many of my co-workers. A college degree opens doors, it doesn't guarantee a job.
My ex-father-in-law was a nuclear engineer for GE, but guess what, when he went to college, nuclear engineering wasn't something you could get a degree in, his degree was in mechanical engineering.

Well said. I'm sure this lady has the stupid gene, but I'd still like to know what the school promised her. I doubt she'll get a job in IT now. No company would ever risk hiring someone like her.

Then she should get started right now. I'm sure Barry has an opening. Perhaps he needs a beer czar.

Beer czar? She's under qualified.
Make her the Bar Czar so she can be in charge of all drinks. It's the government, she needs to be put into a position far surpassing her competence and ability if she wants to fit in.

Why not sue President Obama for that no-stimulus stimulus bill that was supposed to employ millions.

On a more serious note,

Let's apply your description to the political:

liberals blame everyone else for their inability to earn alot of money so they blame conservatives and try to use the gov't to balance things out - conservatives find a way to be successful in spite of the government and competition...

Forum List

Back