GPS Devices:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I know nothing about GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) devices and I have no need for one (because I don't go anywhere) but my daughter is always complaining about finding her way around the Tri-State area and I want to get her one of those gadgets for Christmas.

If anyone here is familiar with them and can recommend one that isn't too complicated to use (she's not a geek) in the $100 - $200 price range I will appreciate it.

mapquest is free on your pc, and has the same basic information.

And someone I know had a GPS, but it didn't know about cul de sacs.

I have a Tom Tom. It works great and it's not that expensive. Try overstock.com.

It's a good gift for a daughter. :) My father bought one for me too. It saves us girls from the stress of getting lost.

I have a Tom Tom. It works great and it's not that expensive. Try overstock.com.

It's a good gift for a daughter. :) My father bought one for me too. It saves us girls from the stress of getting lost.
Thanks!

My daughter asked me if I knew anything about them (I don't), which I assume was her Christmas present hint. So now I need to find out something about them.

What my Internet research has told me thus far is they range in price from $80 to $3,500 and some users think they are wonderful while others say they don't work very well.

I've never seen one but my understanding is they sit on the dashboard and announce every step of a trip from beginning to end, which seems absolutely amazing to me.

My wife and I first used a GPS to navigate around New York. It's a wondeful device. I had a Magellan, and its pretty solid as devices go. I just bought a new Garmin Nuvi on Black Friday, and so far it works well. Truth be told, if you're just using it to drive around, most of the GPS systems are pretty good.

Now, if you want it to have pin point accuracy for hiking or camping, you'll want to really shell out some cash.

I've got a TomTom One -- I'm pretty happy with it. It's steered us wrong twice. But any GPS is only as good as the maps that come with.

And as the users driving the car. I've gone wrong a few times with the old Magellan, but I'm willing to admit that the maps installed are a few years old. Some of the errors are because I rely on it too much when in an unfamiliar neighborhood.

I've got a TomTom One -- I'm pretty happy with it. It's steered us wrong twice. But any GPS is only as good as the maps that come with.

And as the users driving the car. I've gone wrong a few times with the old Magellan, but I'm willing to admit that the maps installed are a few years old. Some of the errors are because I rely on it too much when in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
Before I go on a long trip, I plug the TomTom into the 'puter and download the latest maps and corrections. It lets you make and upload corrections, too.

My GPS device is pulling into a gas station and asking for directions if I get lost from what I've Mapquested. Yeah, I'm old school.

My GPS device is pulling into a gas station and asking for directions if I get lost from what I've Mapquested. Yeah, I'm old school.
your cell phone likely has GPS capability
most do, you just have to activate the service

Last edited:
your cell phone likely has GPS capability
most do, you just have to activate the service

'Activate the service' = $$$$

Did I forget to mention I was cheap too? :lol:
LOL which is why i dont use the GPS in my phone
i use a Delorme earthmate USB GPS device and their street atlas USA software
hook it up to my laptop and it will update map online

My wife and I first used a GPS to navigate around New York. It's a wondeful device. I had a Magellan, and its pretty solid as devices go. I just bought a new Garmin Nuvi on Black Friday, and so far it works well. Truth be told, if you're just using it to drive around, most of the GPS systems are pretty good.

[...]
After browsing the user reviews on Amazon I've so far settled on the Garmin 255w. 187 reviews, mostly five star. $100. Looks good.

Its a great toy to have.

Not just for directions, but no matter where you are you can find the nearest gas, restaurant, hospital, ATM, car repair..

It also tells you what lane you should be in, how far to the next turnoff, traffic

Try a Garmin or Tom Tom for around $100

Forum List

Back