Govt. Won't Seize Land For Memorial

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
The U.S. government will not use eminent domain to seize people's land for a permanent Flight 93 memorial and instead will renew negotiations with landowners near the terrorist crash site in Somerset County, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said Friday.

"They, too, were the victims of 9/11, in terms of what happened," Salazar said of the seven property owners, who control about 500 acres. "I do believe we will find a good way and a positive way to move forward."

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/cnn-news/19665762/detail.html

I'm glad that the government has backed off its plan to steal the owners' property, but I have to wonder if the owner's of the property are now going to be intimidated into taking less than they would have before because they know the government is willing to rob them for "fair value?"

While I understand the need for the memorial the Govts. record thus far on any 9-11 memorials from my understanding has been less than stellar. It's my sincere hope that the families of all the victims do have some kind of memorial erected to the memories of their loved ones. I'd personally like to see in the flight 93 situation the land owners and perhaps some private non-profit entity erect the memorial rather than some US Govt. sponsored one.

Forum List

Back