Govt Website -abstinence is the healthiest choice.

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Wow....

How can people argue against this very simple fact:

The safest, healthiest practice of sex is this:

One Man. One Woman. For their entire lives.

WASHINGTON (AP) - How should you talk to your children about sex? Tell them no sex, says a new government Web site that proclaims "abstinence is the healthiest choice." That's dictating values, say organizations including the American Civil Liberties Union and gay rights groups, and they want the site taken down.

Michael Leavitt, secretary of the Health and Human Services Department, says the Web site is right on target.

The site was designed for parents who are embarrassed about talking with their children about sex, Leavitt said in a statement.

"Parents have a tremendous amount of influence on their children and we want them to talk with their teens about abstinence so that they can stay safe and healthy," he said.

Promoting abstinence is fine, said Monica Rodriguez of the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, but the government should also address the needs of teenagers who are already sexually active, gay or lesbian, or who have been sexually abused.

For example, she said Thursday, the site should promote the proper use of contraceptives, and it should not imply that homosexuality is wrong by encouraging parents of gay or lesbian children to consult a therapist.

"By and large, it's a Web site that believes in abstinence until marriage," said Rodriguez, whose advocacy group promotes comprehensive sexual education. "Everything on the Web site is designed to promote that value and help parents communicate that value to their children."

Her 41-year-old organization as well as the ACLU, the National Education Association and more than 100 other advocacy groups are asking HHS to take down the Web site.

Bill Pierce, an HHS spokesman, said he was not surprised certain groups dislike the site.

"They've always opposed us on the issue of abstinence. That's fine," Pierce said. "One thing we do know about abstinence is that if you practice it, you will not have an unintended pregnancy or risk catching a sexually transmitted disease."

The site advises parents to tell their teens why they should not have sex: "Tell them abstinence is the healthiest choice. They will not have to worry about getting pregnant or getting someone pregnant. They will not have to worry about sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS. Nor will they have to worry that the person they are dating is only interested in them because of sex. "

And it paints a bleak picture for teens who get pregnant: "Many teen mothers never finish high school. Teen mothers and their babies are more likely to have health problems. And families started by teen mothers are more likely to be poor and end up on welfare."

For parents of teenagers already having sex, there is a section on contraception.

But Rodriguez said that section promotes unsafe sex rather than safe sex.

The site describes condoms as imperfect, saying they can break or be used incorrectly, and it includes a chart of whether a condom protects a little, some, or a lot, against various sexually transmitted diseases.

"There's this misconception that giving young people negative information about contraception will encourage them not to have sexual intercourse, when all it will do is encourage them not to have contraception, so the strategy backfires," Rodriguez said.

Patrick Fagan, a research fellow at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, said the Web site's information about condoms looked accurate.

"This is standard, straightforward research on the effectiveness of condoms," he said.

The groups protesting the Web site also contend it is biased against gays and lesbians.

The site says: "If you believe your adolescent may be gay, or is experiencing difficulties with gender identity or sexual orientation issues, consider seeing a family therapist who shares your values to clarify and work through these issues."

Rodriguez said the Web site's definition for homosexuality - "a person who prefers sexual contact with people of the same sex" - implied that being gay was a sexual preference rather than a sexual orientation.

"There's no information whatsoever for their parents other than to go talk to a therapist," she said.

Fagan, though, said the Web site would be useful for parents of gays and lesbians.

"Teenagers involved in homosexual acts ... are worth the same transmission of information on the effectiveness of condoms and on the dangers of sexually transmitted diseases," he said.

I hate...do I hate? I'm pretty sure I'm at least disgusted by people today. Millitant Liberals...especially. :(

gop_jeff said:
How can the ACLU argue against the facts that abstaining from sexual activity prevents pregnancies and STDs? :mad: Ridiculous.

They dont care that chastity saves lives. They dont care that responsible people dont sleep around. All they care about is their political agenda. which is to weaken American values, property rights, and promote anarchy and revolution.

They dont care that chastity saves lives. They dont care that responsible people dont sleep around. All they care about is their political agenda. which is to weaken American values, property rights, and promote anarchy and revolution.

I don't think that this is it. I believe that they feel that the website focuses too much on abstinence and too little on contraception (and in a counter-productive manner).

Abstinence is great, but I think many studies (I don't have them at my fingertips but I know I have seen them) have shown that it is difficult to persuade teenagers to be abstinent. If that is the case, the website should also place a strong emphasis on the importance of using condoms for those teenagers that will not be persuaded by the abstinence message. By focusing so much on the ineffectiveness of condoms, some people believe the website actually suggests that condoms are not an effective means of preventing pregnancy and STDs (and so teenagers may not be inclined to use them b/c they think they don't work anyway). Whatever defects condoms may have, they have been shown to be pretty effective at preventing pregnancies and many STDs.

It is a difficult line to walk - warning about the imperfect nature of condoms while at the same time encouraging them - but I think opponents of the website feel that the website doesn't walk it very well.

As for the gay/lesbian issue, I am sure many people think that suggesting that kids be taken to therapy is a way of saying homosexuality is a mental disorder, which it technically is not. I don't have a problem with this portion of the website because I think gay teenagers have even more problems to deal with at this difficult time in their lives as the average teenager, and that therapy of some sort might be helpful. Gay teenagers have a higher rate of suicide attempt than the average teenager.

ReillyT said:
I don't think that this is it. I believe that they feel that the website focuses too much on abstinence and too little on contraception (and in a counter-productive manner).

Abstinence is great, but I think many studies (I don't have them at my fingertips but I know I have seen them) have shown that it is difficult to persuade teenagers to be abstinent.

Yes. and when things are difficult they should just be abandoned. The easy way out is best.
If that is the case, the website should also place a strong emphasis on the importance of using condoms for those teenagers that will not be persuaded by the abstinence message. By focusing so much on the ineffectiveness of condoms, some people believe the website actually suggests that condoms are not an effective means of preventing pregnancy and STDs (and so teenagers may not be inclined to use them b/c they think they don't work anyway). Whatever defects condoms may have, they have been shown to be pretty effective at preventing pregnancies and many STDs.
But their usage is discussed. It's not the theocratic coverup you ninnys imply with your hysteria.
It is a difficult line to walk - warning about the imperfect nature of condoms while at the same time encouraging them - but I think opponents of the website feel that the website doesn't walk it very well.

As for the gay/lesbian issue, I am sure many people think that suggesting that kids be taken to therapy is a way of saying homosexuality is a mental disorder, which it technically is not.
Hey. If you're sure about it, it must be the case.
I don't have a problem with this portion of the website because I think gay teenagers have even more problems to deal with at this difficult time in their lives as the average teenager, and that therapy of some sort might be helpful. Gay teenagers have a higher rate of suicide attempt than the average teenager.

I suggest a viewing of "Heathers " to sharpen this point:"I love my dead, gay son!"

rtwngAvngr said:
Yes. and when things are difficult they should just be abandoned. The easy way out is best.

I am not suggesting, and I don't think most of the opponents of the current administration's focus on abstinence, are suggesting that abstinence education doesn't have a role in preventing pregnancies and the transmission of STDs among teenagers. I think its up for debate, however, whether a realistic assessment has been done on the benefits of focusing on abstinence versus contraception (condoms) and whether a different allocation of focus and primacy might not be more effective in preventing pregnancy and STD transmission. I think there is a place for both, but finding the right and most effective mix should be the goal.

rtwngAvngr said:
But their usage is discussed. It's not the theocratic coverup you ninnys imply with your hysteria.

The use of condoms is discussed and I think that is a very good thing. The question is whether it is being discussed in a manner that best promotes the use of condoms. How do you balance warning teenagers of the inherent risks of sexual activity (even with condoms) with a strong emphasis on the need to use condoms if teenagers choose to engage in sexual activity anyway? That is the question that is being debated, and some people think that the website's approach focuses too much on the former and too little on the latter.

rtwngAvngr said:
I suggest a viewing of "Heathers " to sharpen this point:"I love my dead, gay son!"

Yeah, sorry... I don't find anything funny about teenage suicide, Manchild.

gop_jeff said:
How can the ACLU argue against the facts that abstaining from sexual activity prevents pregnancies and STDs? :mad: Ridiculous.

I believe they are saying that while abstinence does prevent pregnancy and STDs, that it is not always followed.

If "just say no" were 100% effective we wouldn't need laws against drugs.

MissileMan said:
I believe they are saying that while abstinence does prevent pregnancy and STDs, that it is not always followed.

If "just say no" were 100% effective we wouldn't need laws against drugs.

It's not always followed, you're right. But we should continue to let our kids know that it is still 100% effective.

gop_jeff said:
It's not always followed, you're right. But we should continue to let our kids know that it is still 100% effective.

Check this article out!

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=21606

Virginity pledgers 6 times as likely to have oral sex, 4 times as likely to have anal sex, and equally as likely to have an STD as those who didn't take a pledge. Things that make you go, "Hmmmm".

Although preaching abstinence isn't always going to work,I beleive it is definitely the best way to go. If parents make sure they enforce the benefits of waiting,it may go a long way.We can't just always give in on the things we believe in because it might happen. If a teen does start having sex,I think that most parents will pick upon it,and then talk to them about condems. I know some parents would not pick up on it,and that's the hard part.Each case will vary form kid to kid. Some kids are not going to use condems no matter what.

I have no problem with this website and I can't believe someone does. I aslo think it's a parents choice if they feel homosexuality is wrong and feel the teen may need therapy,not the ACLU's or some gay rights groups.

theim said:
And this changes the fact that STDs result from sex...how?

Is that all that you got out of the article?

It reinforces what I've said before. While abstinence may be the only guaranteed way of preventing pregnancy and the spread of STDs, an "abstinence only" philosophy results in myths like "oral and anal sex aren't really sex" (Thanks Willy) and "since they aren't really sex, then they are totally safe" and results in "technically virgins" catching an STD unnecessarily.

MissileMan said:
Is that all that you got out of the article?

It reinforces what I've said before. While abstinence may be the only guaranteed way of preventing pregnancy and the spread of STDs, an "abstinence only" philosophy results in myths like "oral and anal sex aren't really sex" (Thanks Willy) and "since they aren't really sex, then they are totally safe" and results in "technically virgins" catching an STD unnecessarily.

And what that tells me, Misslieman, is that we, as parents, need to make sure that our kids understand that "technical virginity" is not the goal: sexual purity is.

Forum List

Back