Govt Website -abstinence is the healthiest choice.

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by dmp, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Wow....

How can people argue against this very simple fact:

The safest, healthiest practice of sex is this:

One Man. One Woman. For their entire lives.

I hate...do I hate? I'm pretty sure I'm at least disgusted by people today. Millitant Liberals...especially. :(

2. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    no way is "abstinence is the healthiest choice." ..........you ever had blue balls

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Abstain from sex (with a partner) is the message :)

4. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    ok but my wife is gonna be pissed

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

if neither of you are teenagers, and single, the message doesn't apply. :)

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    How can the ACLU argue against the facts that abstaining from sexual activity prevents pregnancies and STDs? :mad: Ridiculous.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    They dont care that chastity saves lives. They dont care that responsible people dont sleep around. All they care about is their political agenda. which is to weaken American values, property rights, and promote anarchy and revolution.

8. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I don't think that this is it. I believe that they feel that the website focuses too much on abstinence and too little on contraception (and in a counter-productive manner).

Abstinence is great, but I think many studies (I don't have them at my fingertips but I know I have seen them) have shown that it is difficult to persuade teenagers to be abstinent. If that is the case, the website should also place a strong emphasis on the importance of using condoms for those teenagers that will not be persuaded by the abstinence message. By focusing so much on the ineffectiveness of condoms, some people believe the website actually suggests that condoms are not an effective means of preventing pregnancy and STDs (and so teenagers may not be inclined to use them b/c they think they don't work anyway). Whatever defects condoms may have, they have been shown to be pretty effective at preventing pregnancies and many STDs.

It is a difficult line to walk - warning about the imperfect nature of condoms while at the same time encouraging them - but I think opponents of the website feel that the website doesn't walk it very well.

As for the gay/lesbian issue, I am sure many people think that suggesting that kids be taken to therapy is a way of saying homosexuality is a mental disorder, which it technically is not. I don't have a problem with this portion of the website because I think gay teenagers have even more problems to deal with at this difficult time in their lives as the average teenager, and that therapy of some sort might be helpful. Gay teenagers have a higher rate of suicide attempt than the average teenager.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Yes. and when things are difficult they should just be abandoned. The easy way out is best.
    But their usage is discussed. It's not the theocratic coverup you ninnys imply with your hysteria.
    Hey. If you're sure about it, it must be the case.
    I suggest a viewing of "Heathers " to sharpen this point:"I love my dead, gay son!"

10. ReillyT

ReillyT Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I am not suggesting, and I don't think most of the opponents of the current administration's focus on abstinence, are suggesting that abstinence education doesn't have a role in preventing pregnancies and the transmission of STDs among teenagers. I think its up for debate, however, whether a realistic assessment has been done on the benefits of focusing on abstinence versus contraception (condoms) and whether a different allocation of focus and primacy might not be more effective in preventing pregnancy and STD transmission. I think there is a place for both, but finding the right and most effective mix should be the goal.

The use of condoms is discussed and I think that is a very good thing. The question is whether it is being discussed in a manner that best promotes the use of condoms. How do you balance warning teenagers of the inherent risks of sexual activity (even with condoms) with a strong emphasis on the need to use condoms if teenagers choose to engage in sexual activity anyway? That is the question that is being debated, and some people think that the website's approach focuses too much on the former and too little on the latter.

Yeah, sorry... I don't find anything funny about teenage suicide, Manchild.