Vermont governor abandons single-payer health care plan

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
You mean taxes would have had to be raised in order to have a single-payer system ?
Color me shocked.

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Calling it the biggest disappointment of his career, Gov. Peter Shumlinsaid Wednesday he was abandoning plans to makeVermont the first state in the country with a universal, publicly funded health caresystem.

Going forward with a project four years in the making would require tax increases too big for the state to absorb, Shumlin said. The measure had been the centerpiece of the Democratic governor's agenda and was watched and rooted for by single-payer health care supporters around the country.

"I am not going (to) undermine the hope of achieving critically important health care reforms for this state by pushing prematurely for single payer when it is not the right time for Vermont," Shumlin said to reporters and two boards advising him on health care changes.

Legislation Shumlin signed in 2011 put the state on a path to move beyond the federal Affordable Care Act by 2017 to a health care system more similar to that in neighboring Canada. Shumlin adopted the mantra that access to quality health care should be "a right and not a privilege."

The legislation called for the administration to produce a plan for financing the Green Mountain Care system by 2013 but it wasn't completed until the last several days. Shumlin said it showed the plan would require an 11.5 percent payroll tax on businesses and an income tax separate from the one the state already has of up to 9.5 percent.

Governor abandons single-payer health care plan - Yahoo News

:lol: I said four years ago when they passed this shit it would never get implemented. If Vermont can't afford it how the hell are we supposed to do it nationwide?

This belongs in the politics forum.....

And I am not gloating.....

The fact is that as these states try these things, they learn what works and what does not. It will be interesting to see if there are more details forthcoming.

I HAVE ALWAYS said we have an insurance delivery problem (which translates to health care delivery).

I am glad the state looked into it. We should be learning from this.......

Vermont Abandons Single Payer Healthcare Because It s Too Expensive - Kevin Glass

The governor stopped it and the people are not happy. But, I totally get the fact that we can pretend that this is some sort of big revelation.

:lol: I said four years ago when they passed this shit it would never get implemented. If Vermont can't afford it how the hell are we supposed to do it nationwide?

Vermont is the most rural state we have. In that sense it would have been more a challenge for them than a more urbanized and populated state, and certainly for the nation as a whole.

In other words if Vermont could find a way to do it, anybody could.

The Canadian system grew out of a provincial plan. Saskatchewan IIRC.

Personally, I say go through with it. Implement the additional taxes Shumlin has cited and let Vermonters get exactly what they asked for and maybe they'll finally come to an understanding of how badly the far left wants to ruin their lives. They're one of the most Democratic states in the country so why shield them from their poor voting decisions.

Personally, I say go through with it. Implement the additional taxes Shumlin has cited and let Vermonters get exactly what they asked for and maybe they'll finally come to an understanding of how badly the far left wants to ruin their lives. They're one of the most Democratic states in the country so why shield them from their poor voting decisions.

Seems like a heavily biased argument, donut?

Has Canada ruined its citizens' lives? Or for that matter has most of the rest of the world?

Kinda speaks volumes when one's reaction to a new idea boils down to "will never work". Sorry, I think I prefer construction and tweaking to destruction and gainsaying.

I am not even going to go into how the problem has not been defined...so the solution is never clear.

My point in posting this is that they are looking at it and they should learn some things.

Obama would have done well to look at Tenncare which has been around a long long time.

Now....

If Mass has Romneycare....

Tenn has Tenncare......

Vermont gets something.....

Are not the states doing the will of the people......

And if the will of the people in a state is that they don't want it......

Then let's scrap this mess they call Obamacare.

Has Canada ruined its citizens' lives? Or for that matter has most of the rest of the world?

Kinda speaks volumes when one's reaction to a new idea boils down to "will never work". Sorry, I think I prefer construction and tweaking to destruction and gainsaying.

I think the argument is....let them go forward.

If it costs a bunch...it costs them a bunch......

It's the price you pay to live in a rural refrigerator.

Vermont is the most rural state we have. In that sense it would have been more a challenge for them than a more urbanized and populated state, and certainly for the nation as a whole.

More than North Dakota? Or Montana? Vermont? I seriously doubt that for some reason.

More than North Dakota? Or Montana? Vermont? I seriously doubt that for some reason.

You left out Wyoming and Alaska, but yes. Something I learned living there. It means as a percentage of population living in an urban versus a rural area. Vermont has one "city" (Burlington) and as cities go it's tiny.

Montpelier is also the smallest state capital in the nation, smaller than Pierre etc. And it's a lovely charming little town of (IIRC) about 10,000.

Seems to me they've decided for now not to go forward -- at least under the existing scheme. Seems to me also you're teetering on forcing them to go forward regardless. Finally it seems to me if the goal is desirable and the road to it doesn't work, then the next step is to find a new road. Plugging ahead on a road you already know won't work would be irresponsible.

And btw it's not a "refrigerator". Vermont has a summer. Middle two weeks of July. :eusa_shifty:

It's a high cost of living. I'd still be there but for that, and (at the time, pre-internet) dearth of local resources. But it's nice living if you can get it.

Fun Fact: before it joined the US, Vermont was a republic. 14 years IIRC.

Seems to me they've decided for now not to go forward -- at least under the existing scheme. Seems to me also you're teetering on forcing them to go forward regardless. Finally it seems to me if the goal is desirable and the road to it doesn't work, then the next step is to find a new road. Plugging ahead on a road you already know won't work would be irresponsible.

And btw it's not a "refrigerator". Vermont has a summer. Middle two weeks of July. :eusa_shifty:

It's a high cost of living. I'd still be there but for that, and (at the time, pre-internet) dearth of local resources. But it's nice living if you can get it.

Fun Fact: before it joined the US, Vermont was a republic. 14 years IIRC.

Can't force them to do anything...can I ?

Yes, you try things and you find what works. Now, single payer was supposed to be cheaper....so what gives ?

Not that I think the conclusion is foregone. But it does bear investigation. That is what Federalism was supposed to be about. Let states do what they like....and other states will copy the good stuff. Also understand that not all states need the same thing.

Forum List

Back