Government transparency, how much is needed?

BOBO

The Magnificent!
Jun 24, 2011
Spokane area
Fed reserve transparency? Military intelligence transparency? Wire tapping transparency? Nuclear/bio weapons transparency? UFO transparency? Personal records transparency for elected officials? Classified documents transparency? National security transparency? The best form of government is a transparent government. As you can see above there may be some areas that could be a 'tad' sensitive tho.
Where would you draw the line for limiting transparency??? Or do you believe that government transparency should be 101%? National security seems to be the most abused reason for limiting transparency, but national security is of the utmost importance for American's peace of mind & SAFETY.
I'd really be interested in your opinions on this subject!

"At a retreat last weekend, dozens of wealthy donors convened in a large golf resort in Indian Wells, California for a four day conference to raise money and plot out election year strategy, the Republic Report has confirmed. We traveled to the conference, and spoke to a few of the attendees.

The summit, organized by the billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch, was cloaked in secrecy. Helicopters, private security, and police officers from neighboring cities patrolled the area constantly. In previous years, Supreme Court justices, some of the wealthiest businessmen in the country, and Republican politicians like Congressman Paul Ryan have all gathered at these twice annual events. The Renaissance Esmerelda, the conference venue this year, was guarded carefully with every entrance blocked and the entire 560-room resort rented out. I arrived at the hotel the night before the event, but was followed closely by security and asked to leave the next morning before the Koch meeting guests arrived.

Though the donors will funnel tens of millions of dollars into the election this year, they will not have to disclose a single cent. Using an elaborate array of foundations, nonprofits, and other legal entities, the Koch network sponsored bus tours, attack ads, think tanks, and hired Tea Party organizers to shape the midterm elections two years ago. Now it appears they appear to be expanding their effort."

:eusa_whistle:

For government transparency to have value it requires individual citizens to think rationally for themselves.

Fed reserve transparency? Military intelligence transparency? Wire tapping transparency? Nuclear/bio weapons transparency? UFO transparency? Personal records transparency for elected officials? Classified documents transparency? National security transparency? The best form of government is a transparent government. As you can see above there may be some areas that could be a 'tad' sensitive tho.
Where would you draw the line for limiting transparency??? Or do you believe that government transparency should be 101%? National security seems to be the most abused reason for limiting transparency, but national security is of the utmost importance for American's peace of mind & SAFETY.

It's a good question. I have always said that in some cases ignorance is bliss. Usually it's not but sometimes we really don't want to know what the government is up to. The My Lai massacre is a great example. What our soldiers did there is really nothing we didn't do rather frequently to be honest. What's the difference between wasting an entire village with M14s instead of rocket attacks from Cobras? At the end of the day you get the same result....everyone is dead. Well we lit up villages with Cobras all the time but no one blinked an eye.

Whether it was necessary or not or "right" or "wrong" to do is of course a point of debate (I personally have no problem with it considering the circumstances) but even if one, like myself, takes the position that it was a necessary evil it's one of those things we would probably be a lot happier not knowing about.

The world is a cruel, brutal place and war is a cold, brutal thing. Sometimes we have to do things that we really would rather not do, but we have no choice. Lao-Tsu wrote "sometimes you must be what you are not in order to become what you are." There is definitely an argument to be made that media coverage of warfare in particular contributes to a reduction in the effectiveness of the American military to wage and win a war.

Everything done overtly should be completely transparent - that means no lies, half-truths signing statements, hidden agendas or coverups. Anything done covertly should be shared with select members of Congress, representing each 'party' in place (D, R & I, currently) under penalty of treason.

Bills created in Congress before being voted upon in either chamber should be posted on the Web in ordinary language with a clear notiation on who will benefit and who might suffer.

I think all government business should be 100% transparent.

Government business and the records of public officials should be transparent. Especially when it comes to associations that may compromise their ability to serve the people. National defense is tricky and that should be up to the commander in chief but I think there should be an expiration date on classified documents and full disclosure given after that time.

Forum List

Back