Government too Big? – Where would you cost?

Or how about a little from everywhere. Get a little creative, find ways to cut down frivolous spending. Make people have to retire later to get their pensions. Try to cut down on bureaucracy that often times leads to greater expenses. Because if they just cut any one thing, people will get pissed. It's a tough situation. People want lower taxes but then when programs get cut that they like, they get angry.

And legalize marijuana and get more tax money, and keep money to honest businessmen and not the black market and mexican gangs. It would also likely stimulate some economy with jobs, that are now taxable instead of being off the books black market.

LOL I would bet that if Cecilie works that her job would be impacted if what she wants happened.

Mine might as well.. if the level of what I want would actually happen... but I do have the freedom to find and take another job in a company that does not receive any federal dollars in assistance

Yerah right, when around 30% of US jobs are either directly or indirectly funded by govt spending.

Government too Big? – Where would you cut cost?

The 2010 budget is approximately $3600 billion dollars. In round numbers it breaks down as follows:
20% for Defense and Security
21% for Medicare and Medicaid
20% for Social Security
6% for Interest on the National Debt
14% for Safety Net Programs
20% Other Programs

See Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities for the make up of Safety Net and Other Programs.

Note: Obama Healthcare is not included:
The CBO projects a budget increase of 950 billion over 10 yrs (95 billion/yr or 2.5% increase).
The GOP projects a budget increase of 1960 billion over 10 yrs (196 billion/yr or 5% increase).
Information On President Obama’s Health Care Budget - GOP.gov
Cut budgets by 1/3 across the board, and junk the let's-put-the-insurance-companies-out-of-business "healthcare reform" bill that was just rammed up our butts.

The abolish outright the Departments of Education, Energy, Commerce, HUD and DHS.

Next, privatize the FAA, TSA, CPB/PBS/NPR, FDA and outright junk the ATF, DEA and the idiotic "war" on (some) drugs.

Corporate welfare...Gone.
Farm subsidies and price supports...Gone.
Cash foreign aid...History.

And those are just off the top of my head.
First you have to abolish Congress

Um...for starters I'd favor the Shakespearean approach, "The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers." Which will leave a lot fewer in Congress to then be abolished.

LOL I would bet that if Cecilie works that her job would be impacted if what she wants happened.

Mine might as well.. if the level of what I want would actually happen... but I do have the freedom to find and take another job in a company that does not receive any federal dollars in assistance

Yerah right, when around 30% of US jobs are either directly or indirectly funded by govt spending.

Yep... too much of the economy is directly tied to governmental spending... but much of the aspects of what is being spent on will not disappear.. and much will have openings for private companies to take over where the government vacates... if something is truly wanted or needed, there will be a demand for someone or some company to fill that want or need

Reagan had it right. You cannot reduce costs by starting with costs. You reduce costs by starting with revenue.
Cut income taxes. Eliminate the corporate tax. Eliminate the stupid estate tax. Institute a flat tax whose return can be put on a card and mailed in. Eliminate witholding on payrolls so people understand they are paying their money t the government.
The reduced revenue will cause spending to decline.
A flat tax with no exemptions or deductions sounds good. I think there would be credits for people with low incomes but that would be a great improvement over the current system. Abolish estate tax.

I think we need withholding. Eliminating withholding would result in a huge lost of revenue for the feds and create a costly collection problem.

Sure as hell worked with Bush Jr. didn't it?

You conservatives live in a never-never land. You constantly suck off the government tit, and then complain about spending.

So, let's balance the budget. First, since my paycheck reflects a 30% or more tax burden, every income in the nation that is larger than mine, should pay at least that much on all income. Why should Warren Buffet pay only 17%? Why should Exxon pay 0%?

Next, if a nation has lousy labor laws, safety, enviormental laws, any goods from that nation will see a hefty import tax on all products. Free trade only with nations of equal safety, labor, and enviornmental laws.

A tax of at least 25% on all imported energy, the proceeds of which go to establish a pollution free energy system here in the US.

So your solution is more government?
Bush wasn't a conservative. He didn't shrink gov't. He expanded it.

Actually, his solution is partisan finger-pointing.

Let me be the first to say it: I'd like to cut every single department and program of the federal government that isn't listed in the Constitution. National debt? WHAT national debt? Confiscatory taxes? Not necessary. Government red tape pushing businesses to other countries? Pfft.

If you really believe any of the things the government is doing right now that AREN'T mentioned in the Constitution are so damned important and necessary, then get them legally, by convincing the rest of the country to agree with you and amending the Constitution.
Are you saying you want to abolish or just cut the budget of?
Medicare
Social Security
NASA
SEC
FBI
Secret Service
CIA
Federal Reserve
National Park Service
IRS
TSA
FDA
DEA
FCC
etc. etc. etc.

I said cut the departments and programs, not their budgets. And by the way, Einstein, some of the ones on your list fall under the heading of the powers laid out by the Constitution. Haven't you read it?

"LOL" Maybe you should try paying more attention, so you would know what my jobs are.

First and foremost, I'm a homemaker and mother. Not dependent on a bloated federal government.

Second, I'm a licensed process server. Self-employment ALSO doesn't depend on the federal government, and I certainly didn't suggest abolishing the legal system, now did I?

Third, I'm working seasonally for the 2010 Census. The Census, of course, is specified in the Constitution.

Dumbass.

Forum List

Back