Government to criminally prosecute Sandy victims.

Issuing violations is not a good way to document storm damage. The only violations that should be issued are ones for owners who failed to comply with code prior to the storm. For example - If my roof flew off & crushed a neighbors home because I failed to install required hurricane hangers on trusses, then I should get a violation. The city inspector should have already discovered this prior to the storm or sale of property.

Quote from violation - “You are hereby notified that there exists a violation in the subject premises as described below, and are ordered to remove this violation immediately,“ the summons read. “If this violation is not corrected as required by law you may be subject to criminal prosecution.”

Actually, issuing violations is the most efficient way possible to document storm damage. It is a legally binding documents that acknowledges the full extent of the damage that occurred.

It instantly cuts through the red tape that would have otherwise been thrown up in the way of the homeowners receiving benefits, and pits the insurance company's assessment against that of the city if there is a dispute. And the city is much better prepared to handle lawsuits than the individual homeowners would be.

The wording of the notice is standard for this type of thing, and was probably not changed in order to facilitate the speed in which they were distributed.

Issuing violations is not a good way to document storm damage. The only violations that should be issued are ones for owners who failed to comply with code prior to the storm. For example - If my roof flew off & crushed a neighbors home because I failed to install required hurricane hangers on trusses, then I should get a violation. The city inspector should have already discovered this prior to the storm or sale of property.

Quote from violation - “You are hereby notified that there exists a violation in the subject premises as described below, and are ordered to remove this violation immediately,“ the summons read. “If this violation is not corrected as required by law you may be subject to criminal prosecution.”

Actually, issuing violations is the most efficient way possible to document storm damage. It is a legally binding documents that acknowledges the full extent of the damage that occurred.

It instantly cuts through the red tape that would have otherwise been thrown up in the way of the homeowners receiving benefits, and pits the insurance company's assessment against that of the city if there is a dispute. And the city is much better prepared to handle lawsuits than the individual homeowners would be.

The wording of the notice is standard for this type of thing, and was probably not changed in order to facilitate the speed in which they were distributed.

That is not true where I live. Insurance companies are not liable for your violations. They are liable for expenses you incur living in temporary housing because your home is condemned until the insurance company pays for all repairs. What is wrong with issuing notices of condemnation & unfit for human habitation? That cuts through the red tape better.

That is not true where I live. Insurance companies are not liable for your violations. They are liable for expenses you incur living in temporary housing because your home is condemned until the insurance company pays for all repairs. What is wrong with issuing notices of condemnation & unfit for human habitation? That cuts through the red tape better.

That would be the same thing...

Essentially the only problem here is that the wording of the notice was mildly threatening in nature.

But it is quite obvious from the article, and from the circumstances, that the city was acting to cut through any red tape to help the victims, not, as the OP insinuated, to punish the victims further.

Forum List

Back