Government Study Says 50% Will Be Mentally Ill at Some Point in Their Lives

GotZoom said:
Both the parents and the doctor.

Mom and Dad would rather let the medication raise their child and the doctor would rather write the scrip (and collect the fee) than truly diagnosing the problem.

Imagine that....parents parenting? A doctor doing his job?

you being screwed as a kid is not enough "evidence" to say that this happens to everyone. I'm sorry you had a shitty experience but do you plan to fuck up everyone lives who were helped by medication OR other forms af treatment???

dilloduck said:
I can understand skepticism---I are one----I just don't see anyone challenging the study with ALL of the facts because they are not available. Some people have casual doubts? Cool but they are certainly not enough to completly refute was has been presented and no one has looked into the problem at 1/10th the depth that these researchers have. I can tell by the completely erroneous statements that have beens made regarding mental health. Challenge it all you want-just do it with some researched rebuttal--not off the cuff biased opinion

Like I stated, I challenge the study on obesity based on personal experience and logic, I challenge this study on the same basis. Logic will tell you that problems in this study are overdiagnosed. Following the money will tell you why.

Mental illness is something that needs to be addressed, but that doesn't mean that we should jump on the bandwagon of studies that are clearly overstating the issue just because we are not psychologists.

Last time I posted statistics about breast cancer some man told me I was wrong. I believe any study is skewed when it comes to getting money. ADD, depression, obesity, homosexuals, pimples on the ass, you name it. Granted, these diseases exist. To what extent, we may never know. But it it good to know that there IS help/treatment out there, and that it is NOTHING to be ashamed about...whether it be genetically, mentally, physically, or all of it.

As far as parents stepping up to be parents and doctors being doctors.......Hey, maybe we should do a study.

dilloduck said:
you being screwed as a kid is not enough "evidence" to say that this happens to everyone. I'm sorry you had a shitty experience but do you plan to fuck up everyone lives who were helped by medication OR other forms af treatment???

Whoaaaaaaaaa there..........

Now I am convinced that you truly have no idea of what you are talking about.

Where did I ever say that I had a shitty experience as a child? Where did I ever say that I was "screwed" as a kid?

Sounds like you made a huge jump of conclusions based on how you interpreted my posts.

My childhood was excellent. Not screwed by anyone. Never took medication or had medication prescribed to me. I have wonderful parents who taught me to work hard, stick to my word and take responsibility for my own actions. And not make excuses.

My experiences came from dealing with kids in educational and recreational settings. And now dealing with people in a professional environment.

And......I never...again NEVER...said that anyone who takes medication is fucked up. I believe I said that there are many people who need it and it helps them. I believe my main complaint was parents and doctors being too quick in the diagnosis....because they are motivated by other reasons..greed, laziness..etc.

Speaking of medication.....take a chill pill. Know of what you speak before you shoot your mouth off making assumptions that are so far from the truth, it is almost comical.

GotZoom said:
Whoaaaaaaaaa there..........

Now I am convinced that you truly have no idea of what you are talking about.

Where did I ever say that I had a shitty experience as a child? Where did I ever say that I was "screwed" as a kid?

Sounds like you made a huge jump of conclusions based on how you interpreted my posts.

My childhood was excellent. Not screwed by anyone. Never took medication or had medication prescribed to me. I have wonderful parents who taught me to work hard, stick to my word and take responsibility for my own actions. And not make excuses.

My experiences came from dealing with kids in educational and recreational settings. And now dealing with people in a professional environment.

And......I never...again NEVER...said that anyone who takes medication is fucked up. I believe I said that there are many people who need it and it helps them. I believe my main complaint was parents and doctors being too quick in the diagnosis....because they are motivated by other reasons..greed, laziness..etc.

Speaking of medication.....take a chill pill. Know of what you speak before you shoot your mouth off making assumptions that are so far from the truth, it is almost comical.

My sincere apologies for misunderstanding your posts. I was totally out of line to make any assumption about what kind of experience you were talking about. I'm glad you said "almost comical" because misinformation and ignorance in the mental health field are harmful and expensive.

That said, your complaint about lazy parents and incompetent Dr.s does not change the fact that as the study noted----they are millions of Americans with mental diseases that go untreated, mistreated and undiagnosed. If there were NO lazy parents and NO greedy DR.s, mental illness would still exist in the US in epidemic proportions and continuing to ignore the brain as if it were not even a part of our body is as ignorant as society can possibly get in the field of healing.

dilloduck said:
My sincere apologies for misunderstanding your posts. I was totally out of line to make any assumption about what kind of experience you were talking about. I'm glad you said "almost comical" because misinformation and ignorance in the mental health field are harmful and expensive.

That said, your complaint about lazy parents and incompetent Dr.s does not change the fact that as the study noted----they are millions of Americans with mental diseases that go untreated, mistreated and undiagnosed. If there were NO lazy parents and NO greedy DR.s, mental illness would still exist in the US in epidemic proportions and continuing to ignore the brain as if it were not even a part of our body is as ignorant as society can possibly get in the field of healing.

Apologies accepted - No worries. :beer:

My question does not negate the possibility that there could be millions of untreated, mistreated and undiagnosed.

My question only states...if there were no lazy parents and incompetent doctors, would that number be 50%?

How nice it would have been if a study was done in each decade from the 50s. I would bet money the percentages have increased as each decade passed - and not do to population growth.

GotZoom said:
Apologies accepted - No worries. :beer:

My question does not negate the possibility that there could be millions of untreated, mistreated and undiagnosed.

My question only states...if there were no lazy parents and incompetent doctors, would that number be 50%?

How nice it would have been if a study was done in each decade from the 50s. I would bet money the percentages have increased as each decade passed - and not do to population growth.

Since both lazy parents and incompetant Dr.s contribute to the number of people who need treatment for mental illness I would imagine the number would be less but not by any great degree. There is no doubt there has been a rise in the percentage of illness in the US. Thats' the main point of the study. Why we have an increase I suspect is the result of a number of contributing factors which may be too numerous to even start mentioning.
Yes, redefining the illness is certainly a factor and so is laziness and ineptitude however these can hardly be blamed the majority. I am prone to rebut arguments that downplay the magnitude and severity of our nations mental health.

Forum List

Back