Government Shutdown?

Who is responsible for the govt. shutdown?

• Republicans

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Democrats

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Both parties

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I like cheese

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Where did I say anything about Resist or Rasist? I said, follow the Law. All of them.

The Law passed in 2006 Border Security ironed out how the border was to be constructed and how many miles were to be done each year. It allocated 1.3 billion for that adjusted to today's dollars. Bush Jr and Obama constructed 733 miles of Wall/Security Fence along with improving that that is already there. Obama increased border guards and electronic security. In the last 2 years, there has been 2.6 billion spent someplace that some was to go to adding to the wall or security fence. Not one single inch has been added in the last 2 years. Trump is not following the existing laws. I guess he must be having one hell of a party somewhere because it's not going to adding to the existing length of the wall as the law requires. And you think we should trust him with a lump sum of 5.7? He needs to follow the law and you need to call him on it.

The Labor Laws say that you can't require a person to work without pay. And that is exactly what is happening now. In the past, the shutdowns ended before there was any blockage of pay. This time, the Jan 1, 15 and it looks like the Jan 31/Feb 1 pay is to be denied yet workers are required to report for duty. This is illegal as hell. The Courts pop Walmart for the same thing with backpay AND a nice fine to go with it. Either you pay these folks or you send them all home, period. That's the law. The Courts are now getting involved.

You need to start requiring Trump to follow the laws. If he can't then he needs to resign.

Congress hasn't passed a budget in 8 of the last 9 years , even though one is required by law, guess they need to resign.

They have but not on time. But do agree that the whole lot of them over 8 year ones needs to be sent packing. Term limit the whole lot of them.

No they haven't. They have not had ANY sort of budget in 8 of the last 9 years. I'm not talking about appropriation bills, I'm talking about a budget that says "we intend to spend the following money n the following items..............." they are supposed to do that each year. Then pass appropriation bills doing so.

On Feb 9, 2018, Congress passed the Annual Spending Bill for 2018. There was at least two small bills that kept the government open that extended the time to that late date. I believe the last year that a Annual Spending Bill that was actually signed into law on time was 1997. And it's not just Congress. Presidents also shoulder the blame when they keep bouncing the budget back to congress.

Keep bouncing the budget back to Congress ? Congress passes budgets, not the POTUS. Yes traditionally a President proposes a budget, but that is not required by law.

You keep leaving out the fact the President must either sign it to make it a law or veto it and it returns back to Congress. Of course, as long as McConnell worships the ground that Trump slithers under the Senate is out of work and Trump doesn't get to veto anything these days. And he doesn't get the chance to sign anything either. Two parts of the Federal Government is Broken. And it's more McConnells doing than either the House or the Presidents since McConnell has broken the Senate.

Congress hasn't passed a budget in 8 of the last 9 years , even though one is required by law, guess they need to resign.

They have but not on time. But do agree that the whole lot of them over 8 year ones needs to be sent packing. Term limit the whole lot of them.

No they haven't. They have not had ANY sort of budget in 8 of the last 9 years. I'm not talking about appropriation bills, I'm talking about a budget that says "we intend to spend the following money n the following items..............." they are supposed to do that each year. Then pass appropriation bills doing so.

On Feb 9, 2018, Congress passed the Annual Spending Bill for 2018. There was at least two small bills that kept the government open that extended the time to that late date. I believe the last year that a Annual Spending Bill that was actually signed into law on time was 1997. And it's not just Congress. Presidents also shoulder the blame when they keep bouncing the budget back to congress.

Keep bouncing the budget back to Congress ? Congress passes budgets, not the POTUS. Yes traditionally a President proposes a budget, but that is not required by law.

You keep leaving out the fact the President must either sign it to make it a law or veto it and it returns back to Congress. Of course, as long as McConnell worships the ground that Trump slithers under the Senate is out of work and Trump doesn't get to veto anything these days. And he doesn't get the chance to sign anything either. Two parts of the Federal Government is Broken. And it's more McConnells doing than either the House or the Presidents since McConnell has broken the Senate.
This problem of the government not working goes back to before Trump was even out of high school.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back