Government Shutdown - II

Vote for or Against the Budget Passed by the House of Representatives

• YES. Cut taxes, build the Keystone pipeline, delay pollution measures

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • NO. I will only support a clean Bill with no bargaining.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I ABSTAIN

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
No brainer YES. People are naive if they think Brobama doesn't want the pipeline because he's worried about pissing of environmentalists. As if environmentalists are going to support anyone other than him. Besides, I'd imagine that by refusing it he's pissing off his union base to a far greater degree than he would his eco-terrorist base if he were to allow it. No, this isn't about pandering to segments of his base; this goes right to the heart of his agenda to crush private enterprise and nationalize US energy.

No brainer YES. People are naive if they think Brobama doesn't want the pipeline because he's worried about pissing of environmentalists. As if environmentalists are going to support anyone other than him. Besides, I'd imagine that by refusing it he's pissing off his union base to a far greater degree than he would his eco-terrorist base if he were to allow it. No, this isn't about pandering to segments of his base; this goes right to the heart of his agenda to crush private enterprise and nationalize US energy.

He will eventually support the pipeline. After all,these are the "Shovel-Ready Jobs" he promised but never delivered. He's just taking his far Left 'Global Warming' base for another ride. He'll screw them over eventually. He always says one thing but does another. That's standard-operating-procedure for him.

Reid told the house dems to renege on their word to vote the omin bus spending bill, which is the budget for 2012.

I guess that fits since they have not done a budget for the 2 years previously either, so what the heck, go for broke.

so, who'ss holding the nation hostage now?

He will eventually support the pipeline. After all,these are the "Shovel-Ready Jobs" he promised but never delivered. He's just taking his far Left 'Global Warming' base for another ride. He'll screw them over eventually. He always says one thing but does another. That's standard-operating-procedure for him.

Don't be so sure... shovel ready jobs don't pay as much as the "jobs" his Left Global Warming Base have. You know the jobs where they sit in an office and come up with new theories on how humans will destroy the planet in the next couple of decades. Those people make MILLIONS. Who would you rather have supporting your campaign, people with shovels or people with millions who can scare the shovel people into voting for you?:D

Reid told the house dems to renege on their word to vote the omin bus spending bill, which is the budget for 2012.

I guess that fits since they have not done a budget for the 2 years previously either, so what the heck, go for broke.

so, who'ss holding the nation hostage now?
It's blatently obvious. Heck? Reid has stacks of House legislation he has yet to act upon...

Last edited:
Fuck it. Shut it down. Less damage they can do to us.

That's what i always say. I'm so sick of them threatening to shut the Government down. It's just tired fear mongering. I'm over it. Let em shut it down and be done with it. I'm not afraid.

Last edited:

I disagree; look at the big picture. By 2013 if god hates the world and Obama's still in office he'll be able to drop the hammer on the pipeline without having to worry about reelection. Like I said, if this decision right now were about political maneuvering he'd be MUCH better off just accepting it now. What he's doing right now makes him look bad to anyone who isn't an environmentalist troll and he knows that, but not ever allowing the pipeline is much more important to him in the big picture. Granted, if there's enough outrage he might have to give in but we'll see...

That's what i always say. I'm so sick of them threatening to shut the Government down. It's just tired fear mongering. I'm over it. Let em shut it down and be done with it. I'm not afraid.
Same here. Will Obama make another idiotic pronouncement that checks will not go out when by LAW they have to?

Shut it down. To Hell with em. I don't buy into their tired fear mongering games. Just shut it down and we'll actually save a few bucks. Just do it already.

Congress Blinks On Government Shutdown...
:eusa_shifty:
Congressional leaders reach spending deal to avoid government shutdown
Congressional negotiators signed off Thursday evening on a $1 trillion spending agreement for 2012 for federal agencies, barely 27 hours before a deadline that could have led to a government shutdown.
After dropping minor policy prescriptions that President Obama opposed, members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees gave final approval to the plan after a four-day standoff related to Obama’s demands to extend the payroll tax holiday for 160 million workers. That negotiation, lawmakers and aides said, also could be headed toward an agreement, with lawmakers considering extending the $120 billion tax break for two months to buy more time to determine how they offset the benefit’s cost so it does not add to the federal deficit. The White House initially had pushed Congress to delay the spending plan until the issue of the payroll tax was resolved, a move that raised the specter of a government shutdown and threatened to increase workers’ withholding tax at the start of the new year.

Linking the two measures only complicated the negotiations, however, and Republicans did not give in to Obama’s demands on how to set up the payroll tax provision. With the holiday season upon them, some aides suggested that lawmakers’ exhaustion and eagerness to leave the embattled Capitol for several weeks served as key factors in reaching the deals. Next year’s session will begin in late January. “In spite of many unnecessary obstacles, it is good to see that responsible leadership and good governance can triumph,” House Appropriations Chair*man Harold Rogers (R-Ky.) said Thursday night, referring to the spending plan. The legislation will provide the full funding for the rest of fiscal 2012 for most of the government, including the Pentagon, the Education Department and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Now that the spending deal has been clinched — votes are expected in both chambers Friday — the payroll tax issue remains the last fight for the acrimonious first session of the 112th Congress, one that has been marked by repeated brinkmanship. After several days of trading blame on both issues, there was a broad shift in tone Thursday morning in negotiations on the tax plan. Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) predicted the impasse would be resolved soon. And House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) told everyone to “step back and take a deep breath.” “I think there’s an easy way to untangle all of this,” Boehner said. “We just need to let the members do their jobs, and we need to let the two institutions do their work.”

Talks on the payroll tax holiday lasted deep into Thursday night. They had picked up steam 24 hours earlier, when Democrats dropped their demand that the cut be paid for with a new surtax on those who earn more than $1 million a year. “Yeah, that’s gone,” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) confirmed Thursday evening. Baucus, who is negotiating the tax package for Democrats, continued pushing to complete a year-long extension of the payroll tax provision, coupled with extended un*employment benefits and an important tweak to the Medicare reimbursement rate for doctors.

MORE

Congress Blinks On Government Shutdown...
:eusa_shifty:
Congressional leaders reach spending deal to avoid government shutdown
Congressional negotiators signed off Thursday evening on a $1 trillion spending agreement for 2012 for federal agencies, barely 27 hours before a deadline that could have led to a government shutdown.
After dropping minor policy prescriptions that President Obama opposed, members of the House and Senate Appropriations Committees gave final approval to the plan after a four-day standoff related to Obama’s demands to extend the payroll tax holiday for 160 million workers. That negotiation, lawmakers and aides said, also could be headed toward an agreement, with lawmakers considering extending the $120 billion tax break for two months to buy more time to determine how they offset the benefit’s cost so it does not add to the federal deficit. The White House initially had pushed Congress to delay the spending plan until the issue of the payroll tax was resolved, a move that raised the specter of a government shutdown and threatened to increase workers’ withholding tax at the start of the new year.

Linking the two measures only complicated the negotiations, however, and Republicans did not give in to Obama’s demands on how to set up the payroll tax provision. With the holiday season upon them, some aides suggested that lawmakers’ exhaustion and eagerness to leave the embattled Capitol for several weeks served as key factors in reaching the deals. Next year’s session will begin in late January. “In spite of many unnecessary obstacles, it is good to see that responsible leadership and good governance can triumph,” House Appropriations Chair*man Harold Rogers (R-Ky.) said Thursday night, referring to the spending plan. The legislation will provide the full funding for the rest of fiscal 2012 for most of the government, including the Pentagon, the Education Department and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Now that the spending deal has been clinched — votes are expected in both chambers Friday — the payroll tax issue remains the last fight for the acrimonious first session of the 112th Congress, one that has been marked by repeated brinkmanship. After several days of trading blame on both issues, there was a broad shift in tone Thursday morning in negotiations on the tax plan. Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) predicted the impasse would be resolved soon. And House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) told everyone to “step back and take a deep breath.” “I think there’s an easy way to untangle all of this,” Boehner said. “We just need to let the members do their jobs, and we need to let the two institutions do their work.”

Talks on the payroll tax holiday lasted deep into Thursday night. They had picked up steam 24 hours earlier, when Democrats dropped their demand that the cut be paid for with a new surtax on those who earn more than $1 million a year. “Yeah, that’s gone,” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) confirmed Thursday evening. Baucus, who is negotiating the tax package for Democrats, continued pushing to complete a year-long extension of the payroll tax provision, coupled with extended un*employment benefits and an important tweak to the Medicare reimbursement rate for doctors.

MORE
Wasn't the raising of the DEBT CEILING supposed to avert all the theatrics here?

he will eventually support the pipeline because thats what power wants. this resistance is merely a front and a diversion. Government serves power, all the rest is just entertainment to keep the masses complacent.

Why? are you going to take the blame for the NEXT credit downgrade? Or will you just blame Obama like your side did the last time?
If the Government doesn't SPEND what they don't have that issue won't be one.

Are you usually that shallow and vapid PaperPlate?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AhBJwARAes]Paperlate Studio Version Complete(Without Fade-Out) - YouTube[/ame]

Why? are you going to take the blame for the NEXT credit downgrade? Or will you just blame Obama like your side did the last time?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AhBJwARAes]Paperlate Studio Version Complete(Without Fade-Out) - YouTube[/ame]

If government had REVENUE to cover the spending, it wouldn't be an issue either.

Shallow and vapid? Gimme a break. You guys are the very DEFINITION of shallow and vapid. Your whole platform is one of greed, which is as shallow as it comes.

Last edited:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AhBJwARAes"]Paperlate Studio Version Complete(Without Fade-Out) - YouTube[/ame]

If government had REVENUE to cover the spending, it wouldn't be an issue either.

Shallow and vapid? Gimme a break. You guys are the very DEFINITION of shallow and vapid. Your whole platform is one of greed, which is as shallow as it comes.
And you unwhittingly swerved into the problem...SPENDING and demanding more for no good reason but for social engineering and keeping the voting base happy with lawful THEFT.

And guess why our rating was downgraded for the first time in History?

*SPENDING*

Wake up. What Gubmint is doing is unsustainable...but yet YOU and others like YOU egg them on to spend MORE that we don't have.

:eusa_hand:

No... Spending because people need help... that's a very good reason to spend. What's not a good reason to cut is because the "poor little rich boys" have a sense of entitlement that eclipses the sun.

Forum List

Back