Government screws another thing up

miami_thomas

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2011
I wish the government would not pass regulations based on scientific theories. The government should only make laws regarding scientific fact. That is the problem today is when someone says “science study shows” everyone thinks it means it is fact. It does not mean it is a fact but it is still just a theory. Anyone can make a study say what they want it to say. It is truly sad that science has gotten to the point that they are no more valid than say a beat reporter trying to gain notoriety. I remember a time when science was always taken as fact because of the amount of study put in before making a determination. Now you can’t really trust them anymore because they don’t even try to disprove their theories anymore. But let me stop here because I could go one and one about this one.

EPA is pressured to drop ethanol mandate while drought drives corn prices up | Fox News

I wish the government would not pass regulations based on scientific theories. The government should only make laws regarding scientific fact. That is the problem today is when someone says “science study shows” everyone thinks it means it is fact. It does not mean it is a fact but it is still just a theory. Anyone can make a study say what they want it to say. It is truly sad that science has gotten to the point that they are no more valid than say a beat reporter trying to gain notoriety. I remember a time when science was always taken as fact because of the amount of study put in before making a determination. Now you can’t really trust them anymore because they don’t even try to disprove their theories anymore. But let me stop here because I could go one and one about this one.

EPA is pressured to drop ethanol mandate while drought drives corn prices up | Fox News

1) There's no such thing as scientific fact. There's laws and there's theories. Most of what we know in science is theory.

2) Ethanol mandates have nothing to do with science. They are all about politics. Specifically, the Iowa Caucus.

1) There's no such thing as scientific fact. There's laws and there's theories. Most of what we know in science is theory.

2) Ethanol mandates have nothing to do with science. They are all about politics. Specifically, the Iowa Caucus.

But there was a time when you wanted to be as close to fact as humanly possible. Now they do one study and run out proclaiming they have found that something kills you. It really has become a sad state of affairs. Now notoriety is more important than being correct.

The whole ethanol thing was part of the whole renewable energy thing. So yes it had to do with science.

Your point number 1 applies to physics. Not to science overall.
For exacmple....a one cell organism has only one cell...that is fact.

I'm from Iowa... I absolutely agree.

But... It's also Illinois, Nebraska, and Minnesota... Not that it really changes anything.

But there was a time when you wanted to be as close to fact as humanly possible. Now they do one study and run out proclaiming they have found that something kills you. It really has become a sad state of affairs. Now notoriety is more important than being correct.

scientists report the findings of their research. They can't control how the media reports it.

The whole ethanol thing was part of the whole renewable energy thing. So yes it had to do with science.

No really, it didn't. It's politics. Iowa politics.

Actually, that's cell theory.

There are things in the world that are fact. But the scientific method - used in all sciences, not just physics - doesn't produce facts. It produces testable hypotheses that become theories after rigorous testing.

I'm from Iowa... I absolutely agree.

But... It's also Illinois, Nebraska, and Minnesota... Not that it really changes anything.

Oh, I agree completely. Iowa just seems more important to me b/c no politician with White House ambitions can afford to piss off the folks of Iowa.

If the nation's first caucus was in Florida politicians would be singing the praises of running our cars on Orange Juice.

So no laws about Religion one way or the other?

i thikn you don't understand what a scientific "theory" is.

it is not something that some idiot gets up and makes up one day and says "oh...that's a nice idea".

The government taking action only based on fact would have kept us out of Iraq.
We would not have had the tax cuts for the rich.
We would not even have a country as our constitution is not entirely based on fact.

There are things in the world that are fact. But the scientific method - used in all sciences, not just physics - doesn't produce facts. It produces testable hypotheses that become theories after rigorous testing.

Actually, that is not cell theory. Cell theory is in reference to the theory that cells are the basic unit of life. The amount of cells a one cell organism has does not refer to the theory of the cell being the basic unit of life. It refers to the amoiunt of cells that exist.

And in a one cell organsim, it is fact that there is only one cell.

Now...you may want to refer to this as mathematics, not science...but that is another debate for another day.,

Actually, that is not cell theory. Cell theory is in reference to the theory that cells are the basic unit of life. The amount of cells a one cell organism has does not refer to the theory of the cell being the basic unit of life. It refers to the amoiunt of cells that exist.

Cell theory posits that a single cell is a building block. The thought that it is a single cell is theory (and also a bit of a tautology - the smallest unit of life is a cell, and we define a cell as the smallest unit of life...). Just as the theory of gravity posits that gravitrons create attraction between two mases. The thought that gravitrons create the attraction is theory.

But I'm pretty sure we're debating semantics here.

It's also about the politics of environmentalist wackos, and their fruity hunt for the holy grail of "renewable" energy....Forget the fact that ETOH for motor fuel provides markedly fewer BTUs per unit (thereby lowering MPG), is a net energy loss to produce, is a complete bitch to transport, attracts moisture that contaminates the fuel, plays total hell in motorcycle, marine and other small engines, the list goes on and on.

As tenuous their grasp of how economics really works is, it's almost certain that progressives totally flunked the module on externalities.

The ethanol mandate was penned by Bush in 2007. Now all of a sudden it is green energy supported only by Oblama.

i thikn you don't understand what a scientific "theory" is.

it is not something that some idiot gets up and makes up one day and says "oh...that's a nice idea".

Seems to me you have a reading comprehension issue. Nowhere do I see in that post anything about people endorsing an idea made when some idiot gets up and makes up one day and says "oh...that's a nice idea."

And only a partisan fool, which you have proven to be, would not be aware that theories are endorsed by tests that are skewed by agenda...done by all ideologies.

Cell theory posits that a single cell is a building block. The thought that it is a single cell is theory (and also a bit of a tautology - the smallest unit of life is a cell, and we define a cell as the smallest unit of life...). Just as the theory of gravity posits that gravitrons create attraction between two mases. The thought that gravitrons create the attraction is theory.

But I'm pretty sure we're debating semantics here.

gee....ya think?

My point is that there is no more rigorous testing.

Forum List

Back