Government reopens probe of Emmett Till slaying that inspired civil rights movement

Can justice still be obtained in the murder of Emmitt Till if the parties involved are already dead?

• Yes - it's never too late for justice

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No - too little too late

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Government reopens probe of Emmett Till slaying in 1955

The reopening comes 10 years after a white woman admitted that she lied in her decades-old testimony that Till grabbed her and made sexual advances.

Jul.12.2018 / 3:36 AM ET / Source: Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The federal government has reopened its investigation into the slaying of Emmett Till, the black teenager whose brutal killing in Mississippi shocked the world and helped inspire the civil rights movement more than 60 years ago.

The Justice Department told Congress in a report in March it is reinvestigating Till's slaying in Money, Mississippi, in 1955 after receiving "new information." The case was closed in 2007 with authorities saying the suspects were dead; a state grand jury didn't file any new charges.​

Since her lies and act of perjury caused the murder, and allowed the murderers to be acquitted, it only seems fair that she be charged. In some states, if perjury causes an innocent persons execution, the person who committed perjury can be prosecuted and executed.

The reopening comes 10 years after a white woman admitted that she lied in her decades-old testimony that Till grabbed her and made sexual advances.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The federal government has reopened its investigation into the slaying of Emmett Till, the black teenager whose brutal killing in Mississippi shocked the world and helped inspire the civil rights movement more than 60 years ago.

The Justice Department told Congress in a report in March it is reinvestigating Till's slaying in Money, Mississippi, in 1955 after receiving "new information." The case was closed in 2007 with authorities saying the suspects were dead; a state grand jury didn't file any new charges.​

Since her lies and act of perjury caused the murder, and allowed the murderers to be acquitted, it only seems fair that she be charged. In some states, if perjury causes an innocent persons execution, the person who committed perjury can be prosecuted and executed.

I am pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out on her perjury. 60 years has gone by.

Besides, I don't know anyone who actually believed he was lynched for doing anything more than being black.

I am pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out on her perjury. 60 years has gone by.

Besides, I don't know anyone who actually believed he was lynched for doing anything more than being black.

I'm not certain about the statute of limitations for perjury in a murder trial since in most cases there is no statute of limitations for the act of murder,
but perjury can carry a maximum sentence of 5 years from what I have read.

In retrospect, of course he was lynched for nothing else except being black, and it was her false allegations that caused it.
Time will tell where they are going with this.

Didn’t matter

Jim Crow would have acquitted anyway

yes, it's never too late for justice--for Mr Till
...couldn't they have gotten them on different charges after they confessed?? civil right/disposing of a body/etc?? or were those laws not in effect?...a confession, although not airtight, is very hard to deny/etc
..now, there is a limit to going so far --like the Jimmy Hoffa investigation--they spent over $250,000 digging some where and never found anything....if you have a 99% for sure tip, sure--go for it...but some of these AGs just want glory

“Government reopens probe of Emmett Till slaying that inspired civil rights movement”

…and conservatives couldn’t care less.
Just makes one wonder if the swamp is behind this due to the timing and turmotious environment going on in America today. Drumming up racial emotions in an environment that has blacks like Maxine Waters and others going bat-crap-crazy, just makes one wonder about the motivations behind it all. If not motivated by politics, then I hope the reopening of the case is productive and fruitful for justice to take place where it may not have taken place completely before.

Indeed, the last thing conservatives want is to have reopened an investigation exploring the racism and hate that existed at the time of Till’s death, as it will expose the same racism and hate that continues to be practiced today by far too many on the right.
You still race baiting around here ?? Get a life. You're as bad as Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Maxine Waters and those crazies.

...couldn't they have gotten them on different charges after they confessed?? civil right/disposing of a body/etc?? or were those laws not in effect?...a confession, although not airtight, is very hard to deny/etc
That's a good point. The police officers that were involved in the Rodney King beating were acquitted in state court but were convicted & served time after they were tried in federal court for violations of his civil rights.

Seems like that could have been done, but as I just posted recently, whites murdering blacks oftentimes went unpunished, particularly in the south.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
That's a good point. The police officers that were involved in the Rodney King beating were acquitted in state court but were convicted & served time after they were tried in federal court for violations of his civil rights.

Seems like that could have been done, but as I just posted recently, whites murdering blacks oftentimes went unpunished, particularly in the south.
maybe that wasn't the ''politics''/etc back then??
racism along with maybe they didn't have the resources/$$$ they have nowadays....?
jeesus --these AGs/state AGs nowadays spend $$$$$ like it's endless

per the Jimmy Hoffa $250,000!
this is almost criminal if you ask me--to spend that much and come up with nothing
so, they probably have more $$$$ nowadays
...even though he was most probably murdered, no body was found, as in the Till case-where you have clear proof of murder
Hunt for Jimmy Hoffa's remains comes up empty, again

Just makes one wonder if the swamp is behind this due to the timing and turmotious environment going on in America today. Drumming up racial emotions in an environment that has blacks like Maxine Waters and others going bat-crap-crazy, just makes one wonder about the motivations behind it all. If not motivated by politics, then I hope the reopening of the case is productive and fruitful for justice to take place where it may not have taken place completely before.
They said that new evidence has come to light but from what's been written in the news media, these facts were known long ago. Maybe some new precedence somewhere that we're unaware of? Two of the known klansmen involved in the 1963 bombing of the 16th Baptist church in Birmingham were not convicted until 38 years after the fact even though the FBI knew who they were in the years immediately thereafter. It's curious that none of them were sentenced to death though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_Street_Baptist_Church_bombing

The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing was an act of white supremacist terrorism[1][2] which occurred at the African American 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama, on Sunday, September 15, 1963, when four members of the Ku Klux Klan planted at least 15 sticks of dynamite attached to a timing device beneath the steps located on the east side[3] of the church.[4]

Described by Martin Luther King Jr. as "one of the most vicious and tragic crimes ever perpetrated against humanity"[5] the explosion at the church killed four girls and injured 22 others.

Although the FBI had concluded in 1965 that the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing had been committed by four known Ku Klux Klansmen and segregationistsThomas Edwin Blanton Jr., Herman Frank Cash, Robert Edward Chambliss, and Bobby Frank Cherry[6]—no prosecutions ensued until 1977, when Robert Chambliss was tried and convicted of the first degree murder of one of the victims, 11-year-old Carol Denise McNair. Thomas Edwin Blanton Jr. and Bobby Cherry were each convicted of four counts of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001 and 2002 respectively,[7] whereas Herman Cash, who died in 1994, was never charged with his alleged involvement in the bombing.

The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing marked a turning point in the United States during the civil rights movement and contributed to support for passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.​

seem like nowadays the AGs/etc over charge, instead of going for the sure thing
...however there are ''many'' instances of murders not being charged/followed through for many years--even with critical evidence known at the time of the murder
the Moxley case ....where the important murder weapon came from the murderer's home....
ineptitude a lot of times
..the JonBenet Ramsey case also comes to mind
...ineptitude/human mistakes/human foul ups/human imperfectness
...even with a clear cut case, there are many factors involved
...How the Skakel-Moxley Murder Case Unfolded Over Four Decades

this was called a slam dunk case by the prosecutor -- but found not guilty
one of the relatives said they told him it was ''slam dunk case'' per the documentary The Jinx
How did Robert Durst chop up a body and not get convicted for murder?
they surely could've got him on body disposal charge it seems like

Hopefully they can charge her as an accessory to murder.

They said that new evidence has come to light but from what's been written in the news media, these facts were known long ago. Maybe some new precedence somewhere that we're unaware of? Two of the known klansmen involved in the 1963 bombing of the 16th Baptist church in Birmingham were not convicted until 38 years after the fact even though the FBI knew who they were in the years immediately thereafter. It's curious that none of them were sentenced to death though:

16th Street Baptist Church bombing - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_Street_Baptist_Church_bombing
The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing was an act of white supremacist terrorism[1][2] which occurred at the African American 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama, on Sunday, September 15, 1963, when four members of the Ku Klux Klan planted at least 15 sticks of dynamite attached to a timing device beneath the steps located on the east side[3] of the church.[4]

Described by Martin Luther King Jr. as "one of the most vicious and tragic crimes ever perpetrated against humanity"[5] the explosion at the church killed four girls and injured 22 others.

Although the FBI had concluded in 1965 that the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing had been committed by four known Ku Klux Klansmen and segregationistsThomas Edwin Blanton Jr., Herman Frank Cash, Robert Edward Chambliss, and Bobby Frank Cherry[6]—no prosecutions ensued until 1977, when Robert Chambliss was tried and convicted of the first degree murder of one of the victims, 11-year-old Carol Denise McNair. Thomas Edwin Blanton Jr. and Bobby Cherry were each convicted of four counts of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001 and 2002 respectively,[7] whereas Herman Cash, who died in 1994, was never charged with his alleged involvement in the bombing.

The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing marked a turning point in the United States during the civil rights movement and contributed to support for passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.​

The reason the 16th Street Church bombings were prosecuted is because the newly elected AG in Alabama had been disgusted that no one had been convicted. In fact, when he sought evidence from the FBI he was told the recorded interviews had been "lost". Bill Baxley pushed hard to prosecute and convict 3 of the 4 bombers.

I have met the man several times and hold him in very high esteem. One of my favorite things about him is a letter he sent, on official letterhead, to the KKK.
"Baxley incurred the wrath of the Ku Klux Klan when he reopened the case of the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. In a letter, the Klan threatened him, compared him to John F. Kennedy, and made him an "honorary ******," but Baxley responded, on official state letterhead: "My response to your letter of February 19, 1976, is—kiss my ass.""

I have met the man several times and hold him in very high esteem. One of my favorite things about him is a letter he sent, on official letterhead, to the KKK.
"Baxley incurred the wrath of the Ku Klux Klan when he reopened the case of the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. In a letter, the Klan threatened him, compared him to John F. Kennedy, and made him an "honorary ******," but Baxley responded, on official state letterhead: "My response to your letter of February 19, 1976, is—kiss my ass.""
Oh my gosh, I had completely forgotten about this, thanks for reminding me.

seem like nowadays the AGs/etc over charge, instead of going for the sure thing
...however there are ''many'' instances of murders not being charged/followed through for many years--even with critical evidence known at the time of the murder
the Moxley case ....where the important murder weapon came from the murderer's home....
ineptitude a lot of times
..the JonBenet Ramsey case also comes to mind
...ineptitude/human mistakes/human foul ups/human imperfectness
...even with a clear cut case, there are many factors involved
...How the Skakel-Moxley Murder Case Unfolded Over Four Decades

this was called a slam dunk case by the prosecutor -- but found not guilty
one of the relatives said they told him it was ''slam dunk case'' per the documentary The Jinx
How did Robert Durst chop up a body and not get convicted for murder?
they surely could've got him on body disposal charge it seems like
i guess it happens a lot more frequently than is readily apparent.

Forum List

Back