Government Regulations

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Are they limiting individual rights, stifling business , giving to much power over to the government, wasting money etc?

My opinion.. Yup

as an example in California.....(just the tip of the iceberg)

Californians are well aware of the costs of income, property and sales taxes. However, sometimes the hidden costs of regulation go unnoticed. These regulations are present every single day in every Californian’s life: what kind of light bulbs we can buy, what age our children must be in a car seat while driving, what food we buy and how we cook it, right down to the volume of our television commercials. The costs of regulations are imposed upon businesses and passed directly to the consumers in the form of high prices and limited choices. It is difficult to quantify the total costs of regulations; suffice it to say the cumulative burden is staggering. And the cost of complying with excessive government mandates on businesses are directly borne by every man, woman and child.

Excessive Government Regulations Are Strangling California Businesses :: Fox&Hounds

Are they limiting individual rights, stifling business , giving to much power over to the government, wasting money etc?

My opinion.. Yup

Californians are well aware of the costs of income, property and sales taxes. However, sometimes the hidden costs of regulation go unnoticed. These regulations are present every single day in every Californian’s life: what kind of light bulbs we can buy, what age our children must be in a car seat while driving, what food we buy and how we cook it, right down to the volume of our television commercials. The costs of regulations are imposed upon businesses and passed directly to the consumers in the form of high prices and limited choices. It is difficult to quantify the total costs of regulations; suffice it to say the cumulative burden is staggering. And the cost of complying with excessive government mandates on businesses are directly borne by every man, woman and child.

Excessive Government Regulations Are Strangling California Businesses :: Fox&Hounds

Oh well, at least the taxes are low in California...:eusa_whistle:

My opinion.. Yup

Depends on the regulation, doesnt it?

I mean I really like my food not to contain poison in it. I like for my beef to actually be beef, my milk to actually be milk. I like for my cars to not explode on their own while Im driving down the road ( though soemtiems wish the guy who just cut me off or is driving slow in the fast lane wouldnt be so lucky )

Like you said, excessive regulations can stifle business and I agree. The difference of opinion we would then have, at least in my opinion, is : what is excessive?

My opinion.. Yup

I mean I really like my food not to contain poison in it. I like for my beef to actually be beef, my milk to actually be milk. I like for my cars to not explode on their own while Im driving down the road ( though soemtiems wish the guy who just cut me off or is driving slow in the fast lane wouldnt be so lucky )

Like you said, excessive regulations can stifle business and I agree. The difference of opinion we would then have, at least in my opinion, is : what is excessive?

Do you really believe that corporations are going to poison your food if not for regulation? Really? They would go out of business in about 3.3 minutes if they ever poisoned anyone.

All of the reasons given for why regulation is needed is simply make believe. If a company wants to stay in business (and they do) and continue to make money (and they do), they are going to provide a product that is good for their consumers.

My opinion.. Yup

Do you really believe that corporations are going to poison your food if not for regulation? Really? They would go out of business in about 3.3 minutes if they ever poisoned anyone.

All of the reasons given for why regulation is needed is simply make believe. If a company wants to stay in business (and they do) and continue to make money (and they do), they are going to provide a product that is good for their consumers.

Did the company that imported and distributed posion Heparin that killed people go out of business? Nope they are still in business.

My opinion.. Yup

Upton Sinclairs The jungle was required reading in my Aermican Literature class growing up.

You should give it a read and keep in mind that such things actually went on before the FDA and regulations.

Last edited:
The question is what is really needed, and what is the most cost effective way to resolve the issue at hand. Writing a new gov't regulation may not be the best answer, and may not really solve the problem over the long run either.

The question is what is really needed, and what is the most cost effective way to resolve the issue at hand. Writing a new gov't regulation may not be the best answer, and may not really solve the problem over the long run either.

this is true, however many just see 2 alternatives and more complex solutions elude them.
Regulate or not to regulate is their only possible solutions.
Whereas the correct answer may be to dereg something and regulate something else in another way.

Such as I would like to see a law regulating corruption be that if a corporation defrauds the govt their penalty is 200% of the money they defraduded the government of.
let it not just be a cost of doing business ie they defrauded 2 million and pay 100k in fines.
That would be a broad regulation that would cure lots of problems.

Last edited:

I agree. Regulation for regulations sake is not desirable. However, we are once again at the point where we need to decide on "what is needed" and what is the most "cost effective"?

Upton Sinclairs The jungle was required reading in my Aermican Literature class growing up.

You should give it a read and keep in mind that such things actually went on before the FDA and regulations.
The Jungle was about what went on at Giant Feed Lots amirite? My solution is to break up monopolistic companies like ConAgra and go back to more local farming.

Well, when I was a kid before the so called great society, I recall fewer, if any, incidents of food with actual poison in it. Beef was always beef. Same for milk. I do recall the Ford Pinto having potential explosion on impact issues, which were uncovered not by regulators, but a by free press. Funny, 35 years later, we see Chevy recalls their Volts. Apparently they're catching fire. I guess decades of ever increasing government regulation just hasn't been quite enough to rid us of the scourge of exploding cars...:eusa_eh:

We passed the reasonable stage a long, long time ago.

I agree. Regulation for regulations sake is not desirable. However, we are once again at the point where we need to decide on "what is needed" and what is the most "cost effective"?

Unfortunately, I think we swing too much from one extreme to the other. Usually the decisions are more political than common sense, that's all I'm saying.

The Jungle was about what went on at Giant Feed Lots amirite? My solution is to break up monopolistic companies like ConAgra and go back to more local farming.

Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle to illustrate the plight of the American Worker and the conditions by which they worked in. However, the public was outraged instead by his discriptions of the meat packing industry and how the food was being processed before it went to market. Sinclair, a scoialist, later said in an interview that he had tried to hit the public " in the hearts, but instead hit them in the stomache"

Teddy Roosevelt HATED Sinclair but after he sent his own trusted advisors into some meat packing plants for inspection, they were disgusted by what they found even though the plants knew they were coming and had cleaned the places up prior to their arrival!

Their reports to Teddy were directly responsible for the Bureau of Chemistry which later became the FDA.

Sinclair was outraged that the taxpayer and not the corporations would bear the cost of the inspections.

Like I said, we had to study the book in American Literature class in High School.

I don't think there is any question that SOME level of federal regulation is beneficial.

The problems start when power mad tyrants with their own agendas use the "we're looking out for you" angle to force their will on others.

Case in point: The regulation that our fuel producers are being screwed with requiring them to include an additive in their product that so far only exists in very small quantities in a few laboratories.

Cellulosic biofuel

Unfortunately, I think we swing too much from one extreme to the other. Usually the decisions are more political than common sense, that's all I'm saying.

I once read that any oversight of the public sector can begin trong but can only weaken over time as the experts ion the field must always come from the industry itself.

I suspect that the see saw youre refering to could be a function of pulling control of said oversight from the control of either the government or the industry itself. As one gains control, the oversight swings so far to one extreme that the other side must then wrest control back and then swings to back to the other extreme.

And the FDA and regulations occurred long before technology. There was no internet before the FDA. There was no Facebook before the FDA. There was no texting before the FDA. There was no Twitter before the FDA.

The reality is, in this information age, no company would survive true negligence. Some might survive a genuine accident that causes the death of a consumer, but none would survive nefarious activities.

My opinion.. Yup

Pink slime.

Love Canal.

Cuyahoga River.

My opinion.. Yup

What food you buy and how you cook it?

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

There's no one in this country who is preventing us from becoming fat slobs, since that's at least half of this Humpty Dumpty nation we now live in where folks like Palin show up handing out cookies to students because the First Lady is somehow wrong for taking up healthy eating, which would reduce health care costs and increase productivity in this pear-shaped country we live in.

mmmmm.....pears.........

In other news, I'm surprised to have to admit it, but there have been less regulations passed by this President than by the previous one.

I'm for the Volcker Rule, are you?

Anyone who is against that regulation can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
I strongly agree with Vidi.

A prime example of a good regulation, imo, would be building codes. Its certainly cheaper for people in Cali to construct flimsy buildings...but what happens when a natural disaster hits?

In regards to business and the economy I've always thought that, given America's history of economic strength, the US should shy away from regulations and instead look upon cost-efficent incentives.

Forum List

Back