Government provided Health Care

The primary reasons why Medicare runs in the red is the majority of those covered by medicare subsidized by payroll taxes aren't paying premiums. Only $2.9 billion of its income of nearly $231 billion comes from its client base --- which are statistically the sickest demographic (seniors and disabled) and with a larger healthier client base, that means more money in revenue vs expenditures.

Cover everyone with Medicare, and the size and overall health of their client base goes up along with the revenue income from premiums.

EVERYONE that works pays into medicare. EVERYONE. There is no other way to put it. Medicare is already subsidized by OUR TAXES from every person in this country that works. And it fails miserably.
Payroll tax for Medicare is less than 1 1/2 %.

Hate to break it to you but there are no premiums that people on medicare pay. The supplemental programs are all run by civilian insurance groups. Medicare gets its money from the pay roll tax and from the Government.

EVERYONE that works pays into medicare. EVERYONE. There is no other way to put it. Medicare is already subsidized by OUR TAXES from every person in this country that works. And it fails miserably.

Hate to break it to you but there are no premiums that people on medicare pay. The supplemental programs are all run by civilian insurance groups. Medicare gets its money from the pay roll tax and from the Government.

In principle you are correct, but Medicare recipients do pay a part B permium that ranges from $96.40 to $308.30 per month.

2009 Part B Premium Amounts for Persons with Higher Income Levels

government run health care or Obama Care means rationing and horible service, makes you wonder why the Congressmen and Senator and familys opted out of this doome system. Do they know something?

government run health care or Obama Care means rationing and horible service, makes you wonder why the Congressmen and Senator and familys opted out of this doome system. Do they know something?

keeekeee, where in the world do you get this stuff from?

ALL healthcare is rationed. It's not an infinite resource.

And the only post that matter in this thread..

You neotards read that really good!! It is only one sentence so I am sure you can handle it..

There is nothing wrong with government healthcare.. And Gunny's issue could happen in the private sector.. Oh?? Wait it does?? I can't even begin to tell you how many medications aren't covoered on my plan.. I am also a heart patient..

The employee's portion of the payroll tax for Medicare is 1.45%. Only $2.9 billion of the nearly $231 billion revenue for part A comes from premiums paid by its clients, but yes, some clients do pay premiums for Medicare A. All pay premiums for part B.

The following is a listing of the Medicare premium, deductible, and coinsurance rates that will be in effect in 2009:

Medicare Premiums for 2009:

Part A: (Hospital Insurance) Premium

Most people do not pay a monthly Part A premium because they or a spouse has 40 or more quarters of Medicare-covered employment.

The Part A premium is $244.00 per month for people having 30-39 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.

The Part A premium is $443.00 per month for people who are not otherwise eligible for premium-free hospital insurance and have less than 30 quarters of Medicare-covered employment.

Part B: (Medical Insurance) Premium

$96.40 per month*

Medicare Deductible and Coinsurance Amounts for 2009:

Part A: (pays for inpatient hospital, skilled nursing facility, and some home health care) For each benefit period Medicare pays all covered costs except the Medicare Part A deductible (2009 = $1,068) during the first 60 days and coinsurance amounts for hospital stays that last beyond 60 days and no more than 150 days.

For each benefit period you pay:

A total of $1,068 for a hospital stay of 1-60 days.
$267 per day for days 61-90 of a hospital stay.
$534 per day for days 91-150 of a hospital stay (Lifetime Reserve Days).
All costs for each day beyond 150 days
Skilled Nursing Facility Coinsurance

$133.50 per day for days 21 through 100 each benefit period.
Part B: (covers Medicare eligible physician services, outpatient hospital services, certain home health services, durable medical equipment)

$135.00 per year. (Note: You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for services after you meet the $135.00 deductible.)
Additional information about the Medicare premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance rates for 2009 is available in the September 19, 2008 Fact Sheet titled, "CMS Announces Medicare Premiums, Deductibles for 2009" on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services website.

*Note: If your income is above $85,000 (single) or $170,000 (married couple), then your Medicare Part B premium may be higher than $96.40 per month. For additional details, see our FAQ titled: " Medicare Part B Monthly Premiums in 2009"

Medicare premiums and coinsurance rates for 2009

Any way you look at it we are all going to be paying more. Anyone who thinks taxes won't go up to pay for another giant govt entitlement is living on the moon somewhere.

The Govt that I wouldn't trust to control the cookie jar will be in charge of 1/6th of our economy and have it hands in our healthcare. Not a pretty picture at all. The fact that our glorious leaders opted themselves out of it, first thing they did, says it all for me. Seems to me if its so great, why aren't they front and center to take advantage of their primo plan???

ALL healthcare is rationed. It's not an infinite resource.

And the only post that matter in this thread..

You neotards read that really good!! It is only one sentence so I am sure you can handle it..

There is nothing wrong with government healthcare.. And Gunny's issue could happen in the private sector.. Oh?? Wait it does?? I can't even begin to tell you how many medications aren't covoered on my plan.. I am also a heart patient..

I am concerned that the government is going to bite off more than it can chew.

In business, even when one company is purchased by a company in the same business and in the same market, there are various hurdles to clear and various problems to overcome from the cultural understandings within a company to differences in benefits and payroll frequency.

This is the take over of an entire industry and the government is not in that business and does not have the expertise or the experience to do this.

This will be a screw up of monumental proportion.

If the problem is insuring the 15% who are not insured, then why not do that? Do it like Hurricane insurance. Offer subsidized policies for those that are uninsured and leave the rest alone for the time being. If that works better than the current system, then expand.

Baby steps until you know how to walk.

Forum List

Back