Government pays $10 million for $50 light bulb

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
The government held a contest to build an affordable green light bulb. I know some people who make pretty good money, but I don't know anyone who thinks $50 for a light bulb is affordable.

The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the “L Prize,” for any manufacturer that could create a “green” but affordable light bulb.
Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.

Now the winning bulb is on the market.
The price is $50.
Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

Government-subsidized green light bulb carries costly price tag - The Washington Post

Lets see...i have 8 light bulbs in the living room alone..... I wont be changing them our for $50 bulbs anytime soon.

If it lasts a long time and saves lots of energy, it's good.

It would have to last 50 times longer than a normal bulb. That means it has to longer than your house will last. It will obviously last longer than you're going to live in any particular house. Why would anyone think that's a smart purchase?

ya know that's what they said about the curly que's light bulbs.. they last longer... bullshit.. is what i say.

Lets see...i have 8 light bulbs in the living room alone..... I wont be changing them our for $50 bulbs anytime soon.

Exactly. Any buffoon who thinks in terms of ONE light bulb and says, "That's not too bad" is not living in the real world.

And that is the end of that.

Exactly. Any buffoon who thinks in terms of ONE light bulb and says, "That's not too bad" is not living in the real world.

And that is the end of that.

And lets not forget the silly little fact that they will not fit into most existing fixtures. Sure the base of the bulb may screw into the socket... but will the shade or globe still fit right?

LED light bulbs are rated to last 25,000 - 50,000 hours compared to 1,000 - 2,000 for a typical incandescent. factoring in labor to change the bulb 25 times over the lifespan as well as the decrease in the amount of energy used. this is a no-brainer. if it takes a guy 2 minutes to get the ladder, climb up and change a bulb at $20 an hour (just as an easy round number, which btw is $40k annually), the labor comes out to roughly $0.66 each change. for 25 changes that $16.67 in labor. lets say that bulbs cost $3 each. thats another $75 in materials. so total, its now cost $91.67 to use an incandescent over an LED. (this all without calculating in the energy consumption factor)

a CFL is 6,000 - 15,000 hours which is roughly 1/4 - 1/3rd the life of an LED. same example labor is the same, $0.66 but now you need to change it 4 times. CFLs cost about $6 which is $24 in material and another $16 in labor or about $40. now youre getting into a closer range, but considering that LED still uses a fraction of the amount of power, over the lifespan of that LED bulb, you more than make your money back.

its simple math.

LED light bulbs use only 2-17 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL). LED bulbs used in fixtures inside the home save electricity, remain cool and save money on replacement costs since LED bulbs last so long. Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs.

Energy-Efficient Lighting: LED & CFL bulb information, including where to buy | Eartheasy.com

How Long Did You Say That Bulb Would Last? - NYTimes.com

LED bulbs also put off little to no heat, meaning that your electricity bill due to cooling needs will be reduced as well.

The government held a contest to build an affordable green light bulb. I know some people who make pretty good money, but I don't know anyone who thinks $50 for a light bulb is affordable.

The U.S. government last year announced a $10 million award, dubbed the “L Prize,” for any manufacturer that could create a “green” but affordable light bulb.
Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.

The price is $50.
Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

Government-subsidized green light bulb carries costly price tag - The Washington Post

I smell another welfare program so people can afford these.

LED light bulbs are rated to last 25,000 - 50,000 hours compared to 1,000 - 2,000 for a typical incandescent. factoring in labor to change the bulb 25 times over the lifespan as well as the decrease in the amount of energy used. this is a no-brainer. if it takes a guy 2 minutes to get the ladder, climb up and change a bulb at $20 an hour (just as an easy round number, which btw is $40k annually), the labor comes out to roughly $0.66 each change. for 25 changes that $16.67 in labor. lets say that bulbs cost $3 each. thats another $75 in materials. so total, its now cost $91.67 to use an incandescent over an LED. (this all without calculating in the energy consumption factor)

a CFL is 6,000 - 15,000 hours which is roughly 1/4 - 1/3rd the life of an LED. same example labor is the same, $0.66 but now you need to change it 4 times. CFLs cost about $6 which is $24 in material and another $16 in labor or about $40. now youre getting into a closer range, but considering that LED still uses a fraction of the amount of power, over the lifespan of that LED bulb, you more than make your money back.

its simple math.

LED light bulbs use only 2-17 watts of electricity (1/3rd to 1/30th of Incandescent or CFL). LED bulbs used in fixtures inside the home save electricity, remain cool and save money on replacement costs since LED bulbs last so long. Small LED flashlight bulbs will extend battery life 10 to 15 times longer than with incandescent bulbs.

Energy-Efficient Lighting: LED & CFL bulb information, including where to buy | Eartheasy.com

LED bulbs also put off little to no heat, meaning that your electricity bill due to cooling needs will be reduced as well.

And then there is that other thing that is annoying.... the quality and color of the light is different.

its simple math.

And then there is that other thing that is annoying.... the quality and color of the light is different.

And it sucks.

If it lasts a long time and saves lots of energy, it's good.

It would have to last 50 times longer than a normal bulb. That means it has to longer than your house will last. It will obviously last longer than you're going to live in any particular house. Why would anyone think that's a smart purchase?

He has to have some smarts in order to recognize smart.

The price is $50.

I smell another welfare program so people can afford these.
I sense government intrusion that stifles the free marketplace.

its simple math.

same thing they said about CFL's originally which turned out to be unnoticeable.

its simple math.

same thing they said about CFL's originally which turned out to be unnoticeable.

I beg to differ.

its simple math.

Horseshit. The light is harsh.

I want you to imagine an automobile tire that lasts 50 years and costs 50 times as much as a normal tire.

What is wrong with this picture?

First, the average automobile is not going to be around for 50 years.

Second, the average person is not going to make a huge upfront expenditure. Sure, it would save them money over a fifteen year period, but no one operates that way. They don't have that kind of coin to drop in one chunk. But they do have a dollar here and there to spend when they need to.

Perhaps this $50 light bulb would be a big hit with the government for use in its buildings. Uncle Sam can throw a lot of money around and doesn't care if the bulb will outlast the building.

anyway, here is one of my closets..those large tubs are full of Incans, 3 ways, vanity mirror bulbs, you name it.

Oh and bottom left you cannot see them all, is boxes of dishwasher detergent WITH Phosphorus;)

Attachments

• $incans.JPG
    $incans.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 58

Forum List

Back